Poop and prefolds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every time my son poops, it comes out the sides. I'm using the "angel wing" folding method. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep the poop contained?

I'm Kim... Coloradoan, nursing student, and devoted Momma to miracle baby Samuel (August 11, 2009)
#2 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM

The fault may be in the cover and not the diaper. Does the cover fit snugly around the diaper, or is the diaper sticking out in places? Or perhaps the diaper is too small, and it's time to move up to the next size.

You could try using a different fold - this is hard to describe, but if you kind of roll up the edges of the diaper, that can create a bit of a barrier. It's similar to this: http://www.diaperco.com/store/pg/82-...tructions.html
#3 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM

I make sure the prefold is quite snug around my DDs legs--tighter than you might think necessary--because as soon as she moves or pees it loosens up, but making it snug it helped to contain those loose poops when she was younger. I used the thirsties covers and some bummis covers, both work, but I like the thirsties better--they seem to work a little better for my DD.

I also use the "angel wing" style folding. I make sure that when I fold in the sides that my DDs bottom is in the pocket area and that as I pull the folded part between her legs it stays narrow--then I spread the top a little and use a snappi to attach the top and bottom wings. The key, I have found, is to make sure that the diaper part that come across her upper (rear) thighs is snug and a sing layer--not folded or rolled (this sometimes just happens) and that it is snug. This seems to help with blow outs. Even doing this sometime, and I was always amazed she would still produce such quantities that it still leaked out, but not out of the covers most of the time.

Hope that helps.

Partner to (7 years) Mother to Lily (13 months) 2 and 1

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#4 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 04:48 PM

I agree with the pp about making sure baby's bottom is seated into the "poop pocket" (I love saying that for some reason, lol). I ALWAYS roll the legs in after I get the diaper fastened. It creates a "wall" and really keeps everything in sup

Mama to L 9/11/08 & S 9/23/09 "A family is a unit composed not only of children, but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold" ~Ogden Nash
#5 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM

I really like the jelly roll fold that the first mama was talking about...

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#6 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it coming out just of the prefold or also the cover. I gave up keeping it contained within the prefold & accepted that one of the purposes of the cover is to keep the poop in & just go through more covers than I would like. I've tried all sorts of folds & haven't found anything consistently keeps the covers poop free.

If it is coming out of the cover than maybe your cover isn't fitting well around the legs.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mama View Post
I really like the jelly roll fold that the first mama was talking about...
By far my favorite fold on a newborn! Has always worked great for us, even without covers.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#8 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM

I used the angel wing fold early on - when we were still using PFs. The trick to is it making sure that they're tight around the leg. Tighter than you think you need it to be. If it's not tight enough, then the moment the baby moves there'll be a gap for the poo to flow out of.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page