Wipes with Dr. Bronner's :premade vs. spray? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I still haven't made up a 'wipe' kit yet....
I've decided to use a blend of water and Dr. Bronner's...I'm wondering how much Dr. B's into how much water to do a premix used with super soft paper towels (I like Viva cause it holds up so well when wet) or just use a spray bottle and dry wipes........

Any thoughts? I will not be using essential oils as I know as soothing as they can be, they can also be irritating....I've thought about adding olive oil but don't really understand the concept of adding oil at all? Does it just make removal of 'poop' easier?

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

No one has a preferance over using a spray with dry wipes vs. making the wipes up ahead of time?????

Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 PM

I was never able to use up the wet wipes before they started to mildew... I used a spray bottle for a while but switched to plain water from the sink because I got sick if throwing it out all the time.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 03-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painefaria View Post
I was never able to use up the wet wipes before they started to mildew... I used a spray bottle for a while but switched to plain water from the sink because I got sick if throwing it out all the time.
The only time I would make a spray and wipe solution was when DD had a yeast rash. Then it was worth it, any other time I just used water. If her skin felt dry I would wet the rag and add a little olive oil. It does help remove poo but it also helps to moisturize the skin.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painefaria View Post
So you would wet the wipe from the sink EVERY Time you change a poopy diaper?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At first I pre-wetted a dozen or so wipes, but after they started getting moldy before I used them all I stopped and switched to a bottle of wipes solution and dry flannel wipes. Nowadays I have my squirt bottle (peri bottle) full of regular tap water, it's nothin' fancy.

If you're CDing you might consider cloth wipes. I find it's easier to throw dirty diaper and wipe in pail together instead of sorting diaper/wipe.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmom3 View Post
So you would wet the wipe from the sink EVERY Time you change a poopy diaper?
Yep every time. And like PP said you may want switch to cloth wipes. It is *so* much easier in my HO.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Old 03-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Cloth wipes are the best! I thought they'd be a hassle but they aren't. I only need 1 per diaper change. When I was using disposable wipes I'd easily go through 2-5 per diaper change. I love em!

I did a mix of water and a few drops of lavender EO and Dr. Bronner's unscented soap, and I just spray Jude's bottom a few times and wipe him dry.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 03-25-2010, 03:06 PM

Another vote here for the spray and for cloth wipes. I use a very small amount of Dr.B mixed with lavender hydrosol and aloe vera (and distilled water). Now that he is on solids his poop is harder to really get clean so I will sometimes have to use sink water.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 PM

I also use cloth wipes and a spray bottle and it works really well for us. The solution I use is 1 cup water, 1 Tablespoon Dr. Bronners, 1 Tablespoon Olive oil, and a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil. One bottle usually lasts me about a month and I've never had a problem with it going bad. DD hasn't had a diaper rash since I started using this.

Here is a website with a lot more recipes for cloth wipe solutions:

http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml

Also cloth wipes are really easy to make, I just cut up a couples of t-shirts and receiving blankets and they work great.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 PM

I tried prewetting my wipes in the wipe warmer, but they kept getting smelly. I now just keep the sometimes pain water, sometimes with dr bronners in the warmer and dip wipes in it as needed, much better.

I use cloth wipes from cut-up old pjs, not sewn or anything.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 AM

This is how we do it:

Wipes solution is about 2 cups of water, a squirt of Dr. B's, and a squirt of essential oil (I use something called 'Whale Oil" that came from a local salon. It's got sweet almond, some sort of citrus, calendula, and a couple other things. It smells nice)

We use crappy baby washcloths- the very same that come in bulk packs of 30 for 5 dollars at whatever big box store is near you. We fold them in half and layer them in a wipes warmer (Ours is safety first?). We've NEVER had an issue with mildew or mold. The bottom one just tends to be dry by the time we get there.

eta: I don't use cloth wipes on the go. I have a small package of 7th Generation chlorine free wipes for the diaper bag.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymama2008 View Post
I also use cloth wipes and a spray bottle and it works really well for us. The solution I use is 1 cup water, 1 Tablespoon Dr. Bronners, 1 Tablespoon Olive oil, and a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil. One bottle usually lasts me about a month and I've never had a problem with it going bad. DD hasn't had a diaper rash since I started using this.

Here is a website with a lot more recipes for cloth wipe solutions:

http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml

Also cloth wipes are really easy to make, I just cut up a couples of t-shirts and receiving blankets and they work great.
Thank you....this was really helpful.....
The cloth wipes ideas from everyone was very helpful also...I plan on using a mix...I have some cloth, but will probably mostly use disposable (paper towels).... Well, at least I have a better idea where to start now! Thanks to everyone!

User Tag List