my swaddlebee wool stinks! :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can somebody help? I ADORE my swaddlebees wool covers but I can't get the piss smell out of them. Here's what I'm doing:

Hand washing, tepid water, soak 30 minutes with either Eucalan or baby shampoo, line dry. I lanolize every so often but I think I'm doing THAT wrong too because they get wet with each diaper change & I change him a lot!

I lanolize by dissolving pea sized amount of Lanisoh in half cup of boiling water (& a dash of Eucalan -sp?) then adding to soaking water in sink.

I just can't get the smell out... and now that I'm thinking of it poop stains remain as well.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 AM

I had a pee smell issue with our wool when we first started using them. I washed the heck out of it, making sure to get the wet zone really well. I rinsed it and then lanolized the heck out of it. I used about 1 inch of lanolin. I am sure that is over kill but I didn't know what else to do and it worked! I let it soak in the lanolin for an hour or two, removed, rung out water in a towel and air dried. The wool did feel a bit sticky but the stink was gone and it was bulletproof (no leaks even at night). I now make sure my wool is sticky after lanolizing it, the sticky does go away. From what I understand the lanolin neutralizes the ammonia smell in urine but uses up the lanolin to do this. Thats why it has to be replenished. If you are washing your wool, its clean. Just try to lanolize it better. HTH.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks chasemommy!! I'm definitely going to do that. I'll use more lanolin, and I will soak it longer too.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 PM

For us a wool wash bar works much better than liquid soaps, esp for dirt and poop stains.

Mama to 8 little ones by birth and adoption. S 14, E 12, G 10, C 9, K 7, N 6, R 5, Ch 3 and baby T 9 months

Old 04-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Thanks chasemommy!! I'm definitely going to do that. I'll use more lanolin, and I will soak it longer too.
Welcome! I hope it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat899 View Post
For us a wool wash bar works much better than liquid soaps, esp for dirt and poop stains.
I have had success with baby wash and soap nuts but a wool bar does make life a lot easier! It also seems to last a while too... but I only use mine with the regular wash. I only use the bar for wet zones and poo areas. Definitely worth the investment.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 

User Tag List