newborns and umbilical cords - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
getting ready to start cd'ing with our first, due in 5 weeks. I have a stash of one size diapers (pockets and fitteds) and have a very small stash of small diapers (fitted and prefolds). As I mentally prepare for next month, it occured to me that these diapers will likely cover the baby's umbilical cord while it is still attached. we also have a package of disposables (seventh generation brand) for the first few days, until the meconium passes.
any suggestions - is it ok to cover the umbilical cord until it falls off or are there creative ways to keep it uncovered?
thanks for helping me with this.

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 PM

We had a little trouble with this even with our nb diapers. We have nb prefolds and Thirsties xs and duo wraps and they all were slightly big at first. We just kept tucking the diapers down to rest under the stump and it didn't seem to bother too much. Luckily, the stump fell off in only 5 days so it wasn't a big deal. Also our meconium only lasted a day or two, so that wasn't a biggie either.

How wonderful for you! Enjoy that babe!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used kissaluvs size 0s that have a fold down for the cord, but my baby was long enough (21 inches) and big enough (9 1/2 lbs) that the swaddlebees pockets I have were under the cord, too. His cord wasn't on for too long, though - 5 days? i guess 5... he was born sunday, the cord fell off friday... the meconium washed right out (we used cloth through that, too)

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:36 PM

We used prefolds and XS thirsties. We just put the diapers and covers on so that they rode a bit lower on his hips and didn't touch the cord stump. This meant we had some pee leaks, though.

You really don't want to cover up the stump at all (the friction/rubbing would be a problem, and even if it wasn't rubbing you don't want the moisture from a wet diaper trapped in there - the cord needs to be kept as dry as possible).
Old 04-09-2010, 06:20 PM

We used thirsties xs covers and just folded the front below the stump with either prefolds or the newborn diapers I made with an umbilical snap.

Meconium washes out with no extra care.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
Old 04-10-2010, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The only diapers we had that fit under my newborns cord were her preemie prefolds bummi orgial wraps (foldeddown) and preemie nanabottom AIOs but we found putting diaper and acovers over the cord no biggie and it didn't bother her or her cord.. Also the mecotium stuff washed right out.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

thanks mama's! we'll just get creative for those first few days I guess. good to know the meconium doesn't cause too many problems. I assumed it would be a bother or a problem with cloth.

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

Old 04-11-2010, 10:21 PM

My son's cord fell off at day 2.5, the meconium hadn't passed yet, so we were still using the hospital diapers.

I had prepared with some nb kissaluvs, they can fold down for the umbilical cord.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

User Tag List