Wipes Solution for SUPER Sensitive (no aloe!!) - Mothering Forums
Diapering > Wipes Solution for SUPER Sensitive (no aloe!!)
LaydieBugs's Avatar LaydieBugs 02:34 AM 04-12-2010
Either store bought or homemade recipes welcome! Baby #1 arriving sometime in May!

I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices, and am particularly stuck due to my chemical sensitivities. There's little I can put on my own skin without slowly building up a respiratory reaction.

I'm sensitive to aspirin and other salicylates, and even though it's possible a little aloe in wipes wouldn't be too much for me, I don't feel good about exposing my baby them. Unfortunately, aloe is a great anti-inflammatory precisely because it's loaded with salicylic acid!

I'm not sensitive to lavender or tea tree, I can use castille soap to a degree (it's harsh), and Whole Foods' 365 Lavender shampoo, and while Daddy's skin is even more sensitive than mine, that seems to be food allergies.

Jojoba is great for us, so I'm hoping that'll be a good one for LO.

I probably won't spray anything, since there are so many respiratory sensitivities in both families (and even if I spray on wipes away from baby, it'd bug me).

No parabens, benzoic acid either - they're related to salicylates it seems.

Chamomile Girl's Avatar Chamomile Girl 02:38 AM 04-12-2010
Water works perfectly fine as a wipes solution. Just use cloth wipes and get them wet first.
cndnveggie's Avatar cndnveggie 05:06 AM 04-12-2010
Yep, I 2nd the water suggestion. I never used a solution - just had my cloth wipes and a spray bottle full of water, and sprayed the wipes as I needed them Super easy, and no need to worry about sensitivity!
Lineymom's Avatar Lineymom 10:55 AM 04-12-2010
I 3rd water!!! Can't go wrong there. Olive oil is nice for baby, imo. I like jojoba, too.
Mosaic's Avatar Mosaic 11:00 AM 04-12-2010
4th it! We used water with regular ol' washcloths and olive oil as a moisturizer/barrier/diaper cream.
chase_mommy's Avatar chase_mommy 11:50 AM 04-12-2010
I 5th it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
We used water with regular ol' washcloths and olive oil as a moisturizer/barrier/diaper cream.
and
cristeen's Avatar cristeen 02:18 PM 04-12-2010
And I'll 6th it. My guy is 6 mos and we've never used anything else.
4Blessings's Avatar 4Blessings 04:39 PM 04-12-2010
We use plain water. I keep it in a peri bottle and squirt it on to cloth squares as needed. This works for my 4 month old and my two-yr-old.
LaydieBugs's Avatar LaydieBugs 10:53 PM 04-12-2010
Wow! Thanks!
Nicole730's Avatar Nicole730 12:53 AM 04-13-2010
Yup, also just water here. We have one of those larger pump-top thermos' by the changing table, so the water can be warm. It stays warm for 2 days, then we just refill.
chely7425's Avatar chely7425 01:06 AM 04-13-2010
Another one here who just uses water out of the sink.. works great and no sensitivity issues to worry about
tammy121's Avatar tammy121 01:08 PM 04-14-2010
the only kind of wipes we can use on Teagan are huggies unscented natural, there is no alcohol, any types of acid or anything in it.
also parents choice unscented but the huggies are my favorite.
however in both i believe there is aloe.

but if you are that sensitive i would do like the other ladies said and just use water.
Biscuits & Gravy 03:51 PM 04-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2BeAnAmerican View Post
We use plain water. I keep it in a peri bottle and squirt it on to cloth squares as needed.
Ditto! Well, I used to use a peri bottle. Now my changing table is in the bathroom so I wet them at the sink.
DevaMajka's Avatar DevaMajka 06:20 PM 04-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydieBugs View Post
Jojoba is great for us, so I'm hoping that'll be a good one for LO.
I don't have a wipes idea for you, but I just wanted to say that I think ds is sensitive to sals (and benzoates), and it's good to know that jojoba is fine for you! That gives us one more option.

eta- not an actual "idea" but I just use water to wipe ds. When he was much littler, I tried some wipes solutions, but I always got the feeling that they made his rash worse (his symptom). That was before I had any idea that salicylates even existed! I gave up so I just use water.
On the occasion that water doesn't do a good enough job, I stick him in the bath. I did find baby wash that doesn't seem to bother him (though it's loaded with sals- I guess it's not as bad because it's rinsed off quickly? I only use a teeny bit)
Up