Detergent for Cloth Diapers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!
I am just starting out with cloth diapering and need to know what detergents people recommend? I am not really wanting to go with Charlie Soap, but things like Tide Free have mixed reviews. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
#2 of 29 Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 PM

I used Charlies for a while but had major stink issues with my micro fiber inserts. Switched to Tide Free powder, and have not had any problems at all since then. DS has super sensitive skin and eczema, and the Tide Free is fine.
#3 of 29 Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 PM

I used Arm and Hammer Free but it caused rashes and build up. I switched to Crunchy Clean and it worked well for a month, then I had to increase it to one and a half scoops. I'm going to try Rockin Green Soft Rock next, waiting for it to get in.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#4 of 29 Old 04-15-2010, 12:37 AM

I use Tide Free. I've used All Free and Clear in the past, but I have a front loader now, and haven't seen it in an HE version.

Arm and Hammer Free/clear version gave *me* a rash, never mind my baby.
#5 of 29 Old 04-15-2010, 12:54 AM

I use Country Save. Charlie's and Planet both gave my LO rashes, but we've been a-ok with Country Save!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 29 Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 AM

We use Country Save now, but if I could find a local source, we'd go back to soap nuts.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 29 Old 04-15-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
I use Tide Free. I've used All Free and Clear in the past, but I have a front loader now, and haven't seen it in an HE version.
This. And I could have sworn I'd bought an All F&C HE version before, but now I can't find it, so... Tide it is. It works fine for me.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#8 of 29 Old 04-15-2010, 03:59 PM

I had the best luck with the free & clear versions of Sun and Gain.
#9 of 29 Old 04-17-2010, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I use the 7th Generation unscented. It seems to do the job. I liked the Nellie's All Natural better, but it's a pain in the butt because I have to have it shipped.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#10 of 29 Old 04-17-2010, 09:36 AM

I use Seventh Generation Gentle Care.

Shop Suburban Tree Hugger
#11 of 29 Old 04-17-2010, 02:52 PM

We use soap nuts, and occasionally charlie's.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#12 of 29 Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

So it seems as though Tide Free powder would work? I'd rather have a detergent that I can buy at the major stores. And it seems like Country Save is really expensive?
#13 of 29 Old 04-17-2010, 03:29 PM

Country Save. I bought a box 5 months ago and there's still a third left. No stink, rash, or other problems. It's super cheap too.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#14 of 29 Old 04-17-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldhh5 View Post
So it seems as though Tide Free powder would work? I'd rather have a detergent that I can buy at the major stores. And it seems like Country Save is really expensive?
Should! I use Tide Free liquid but I'd have no problems trying powder. I just know the liquid works so it's what I stick with.

All of the CD companies will tell you Tide is a big no no. But I know many, many, MANY people that can *only* use Tide in order to keep the stink away and having been using it for years successfully.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#15 of 29 Old 04-17-2010, 07:01 PM

This post cracks me up because we use Tide powder and I thought I was the only one totally disobeying every cloth diaper website! The Tide I use is scented, but I use a tiny amount and throw in a downy ball filled just under 1/2 way with white vinegar. I haven't had problems.

#16 of 29 Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Isn't it mostly about the rinse?
So long as you're sure to really get things rinsed then you're in good shape? Also, I've heard that water hardness can have something to do with what works best.
I use Planet and have since we started cd'ing. I like that I can get it at a few local stores.
#17 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM

When DS was in prefolds, 7th Generation or Ecos were fine. You wash those on super hot (sanitary setting).. But once I added pockets to the stash, those detergents just couldn't get rid of the stink at all.
I tried Tide free powder since I read someone tried it, and it works like a charm. And I've been using it for 8 months now, and the PUL is doing fine, so is DS's heiny. I use a prewash setting on the cotton program (hot/cold) followed by an extra rinse.
I use very little Tide but sometimes I still get a stink build-up, even with stripping, so I now tried Bac Out and it works WONDERS. I added a tiny bit (maybe 1/3 of an ounce) to the bleach department of the washer detergent loader and it works perfectly. I am so happy with it!
#18 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM

So is something like dreft a no no? I bought some to wash the baby's clothes in, as I have done for my other babies...I usually do their stuff separately for the first couple of months (not even sure why) and perhaps I will return it if I can't use it for CDs. I don't need 3 kinds of detergent on my shelf!

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#19 of 29 Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM

I heard Dreft was a no-no, and though it's supposedly hypoallergenic I broke out in a bad rash from it. I have super sensitive skin.

We use All Free and Clear in the liquid, and it works great. With my last cloth diaper purchase the vendor threw in a free box of eco-nuts, they are really cool!
#20 of 29 Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 AM

I use ecos on prefolds and pockets. So far I didn't have any issues with stink or so. I also got my hands on some "Rockin Green Detergent" but I haven't tried it out.

joy.gif
#21 of 29 Old 04-20-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower.mama View Post
So is something like dreft a no no? I bought some to wash the baby's clothes in, as I have done for my other babies...I usually do their stuff separately for the first couple of months (not even sure why) and perhaps I will return it if I can't use it for CDs. I don't need 3 kinds of detergent on my shelf!
I thought dreft had a softening agent in the detergent similar to fabric softner?

I always just used All free and clear and would adjust the amt for CD. I never had a problem but then again I really think it depends on what type of water you have soft/hard/well. Rinse cycles are really important as well. I always did it on the hottest setting possible ( i actually adjusted our water heater so that the sanitary cycle was fairly hot) and would rinse pretty well.
#22 of 29 Old 04-20-2010, 05:03 PM

For all of you Country Save users:

How much do you use?
Thanks,
Keri
#23 of 29 Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 PM

I use and always recommend Country Save. If you have questions about the specific detergent you are using, the Real Diaper Industry Association, has a great detergent determinator that you can check out here: http://detergent.realdiaperindustry.org/

Sultana

Proud Mama to Kiri (5/5/05) and Mikah (9/12/07). Owner Simple Wonders Diapers - providing personalized service to help you choose the perfect diapering system for your family. Check out our WAHMarket coupon!
#24 of 29 Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaherper View Post
For all of you Country Save users:

How much do you use?
Thanks,
Keri
1 Tbsp for front loader (that's 1/2 of the included green scooper)

or a full scoop/2 Tbsp for top loader.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#25 of 29 Old 04-21-2010, 10:56 PM

I used Charlie's, but I've wanted to try Country Save because I've heard so many good things about it.

You can buy Country Save on Amazon at a pretty good price, if you need 4 boxes LOL.
#26 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Been using Tide for over 9 years of diaper-washing, through 4 kiddos, and never had a problem with stink, build-up, rashes, or anything else

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#27 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM

I am not currently diapering, but I did cloth diaper all three of mine, over a period of 5 1/2 years. Anyway, I tried a lot of detergents. What I believe is that the conventional detergents seemed to work better, in the long term, than the more "natural" ones the websites always seem to recommend.

I used these successfully:
all free and clear
cheer free
the BJs brand
Era Plus
the Costco brand
and a few others.

The Tide didn't work for us, though. It gave DD1 a rash like she had been burned.

It seems to me, though, that every time I hear about somebody having issues with stink or rash or buildup or repelling, it's always a "natural" detergent, one of the ones the cloth diaper sites recommend, but I only rarely hear about people using the conventional detergents having these problems. I myself cloth diapers for all that time, and for awhile with three kids at once, and never had any issues with stink at all. I never had repelling, except once when we had an unfortunate incident with my fleece pockets and Destitin, courtesy of MIL. I only had a few rash incidents, that we traced to other causes.

I also think that you're not going to do any permanent damage to the diapers no matter what you use, so it's worth buying small quantities of different ones and trying them out, keeping in mind that sometimes problems take time to develop, because of buildup.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#28 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM

I use Tide or Ecos and have had good results with both. I have no idea why most cloth diapering sites are against Tide. I've found it to be one of the best. No rashes or stinky diaper issues.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#29 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 09:13 PM

Allens Naturally. Works great for us.

Mommy to The Boy (August 2006) and Another Boy (November 2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page