Would you CD these babes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-05-2004, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting a small childcare in my home. I will have a 4 month old and a 14 month old in addition to my 16 month old. We also have a 6 year old but she's in school full days.

Neither of these Mommas is a CD'er or even close to AP as far as I can tell. I can't imagine putting sposies on these little babes day after day. Would you in my position make diapers included in your fee and CD the babes while they were in your care?

The 14 month old wears the same size as Abbey and we have plenty of fluff to spare if I do laundry every 2 days. I would have to build a small stash for the little babe, she's only 10lbs and my regular prefolds would be huge on her and I'd need small covers until she fills out enough for our mediums.

We use a sposie at night and all but 2 people I know irl use sposies. I just feel wierd about putting so many sposies on during the course of one day with babes that I'm caring for. Kinda like going back to the other side.

What would you guys do?

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 03-05-2004, 10:52 PM

I would definitely do that if the parents weren't scared by the idea.
#3 of 19 Old 03-05-2004, 10:54 PM

Definitely. In fact, if it were me and I could afford to do it I would make it a policy. I worked in a fabulous daycare where you it was their policy. I think it's a wonderful idea!

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#4 of 19 Old 03-05-2004, 10:56 PM

I would do it too, and impress upon them that they will save money using cloth at your house.
#5 of 19 Old 03-05-2004, 10:58 PM

Would you be supplying the diapers anyway? I think it is perfectly logical for the day care provider to provide disposable diapers (easier to keep track of when they need to be bought), and include that in the fee, so I think it's perfectly logical for it to be included in the fee to do cloth.

The Moms would have to be comfortable with it, though and the kids would be arriving in a sposie & leaving in a sposie (unless you score some converts).

Fortunately the lady that watches my boy is a friend and she CD'd her first 2 kids. I just send a few pre-assembled CD's (either FB's or a prefold already tri-folded in a wrap) and a couple of Bummis wet bags.

HTH and enjoy those babies!!

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#6 of 19 Old 03-05-2004, 11:36 PM

I probably wouldn't. But, I have 2 of my own in cloth full time and the laundry is CRAZY!!! If you think you can keep up with the laundry, and the parents are for it, then I would. Good luck deciding!
#7 of 19 Old 03-05-2004, 11:52 PM

I have a family child care, and I have 2 children in my care who are in diapers, as well as my ds.

I have never provided cloth diapers for a family. I did offer to make them for my current families for free, as a baby gift ( I have watched both girls since they were three months old), and asked that they wash them weekly. They were not interested. As much as I believe in cd'ing, I was not willing to wash diapers for two children that were not my own. I already have laundry for our family of 9....didn't need to add more! :LOL

I think if you are willing to wash the diapers, then it can work out great. I do hate using the 'sposies on these little ones. But I also know my limits.

Incidentally, I did convert one of my part-time families to cds...and the other families do practice extended breastfeeding (their dd is 26 months and still nursing) as well as the family bed.
#8 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 12:03 AM

the only "issue" I would warn you to look up is to make sure that because you are providing daycare in your home (and I assume you are licensed) that using cloth diapers for children other than your own and then washing them all together... find out if this is something you are allowed to do.

IMHO I dont see why there would be anything wrong and I think it is a wonderful thing for you to do...

BUT moms here have even talked about how they dont like to buy used from people unless they know them and so on.

I think someone runs a biz for testing stuff out and they HAVE to wash the items industrially using nasty stuff like bleach otherwise it is "not safe"

Just wanted to throw some things to think about. I hope it works out for you because I think it is wonderful!!
#9 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Aherne
the only "issue" I would warn you to look up is to make sure that because you are providing daycare in your home (and I assume you are licensed) that using cloth diapers for children other than your own and then washing them all together... find out if this is something you are allowed to do.

I think someone runs a biz for testing stuff out and they HAVE to wash the items industrially using nasty stuff like bleach otherwise it is "not safe"

Just wanted to throw some things to think about. I hope it works out for you because I think it is wonderful!!
I was thinking about this same thing... from a liability standpoint, I'm not sure I'd do it. You wouldn't want them blaming you for rashes, yeast, intestinal parasites ( ), or whatever other mange those kids might get regardless of what dipe they're wearing (not saying from the cloth, but just from having bums). I wouldn't want other people's kids wearing my kid's diapers either. I'm weird about that stuff.
#10 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aherne

IMHO I dont see why there would be anything wrong and I think it is a wonderful thing for you to do...

BUT moms here have even talked about how they dont like to buy used from people unless they know them and so on.

yeah I would worry about this too. I don't mind buying used but I do my own little cleaning ritual befor using used diapers on my dd.
#11 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was going to do this when I did daycare. Each child would have there own pail and thier own diapers and they would get washed seperately. The parents weren't in though (I was charging an upfront fee of $40 to cover diapers and covers.) If I was doing it again I wouldj ust add the cost of diapers into the monthy fee. Also i wasn't liscenced and so didn't have all the persnikity rules to follow.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 02:20 AM

I think you'd need to be prepared for the parents to have issues with their child wearing your children's diapers too. Unless each child is going to have their own stash that is washed and dried separately, you need to consider the spread of illness etc. Unless you are sanitising or boiling them, viruses do survive a hot wash and they do survive a spell in the sunshine. Rotovirus and the like have been proven to surive these processes. You could easily spread gastro bugs from one child to another in this way. Not a problem with your own child in his/her own diapers, but it is when you're sharing them around and washing them all together. That is not the same thing as diaper service at all.

Personally as a parent, I'd be thrilled to find a carer who supported cd'ing and I think you're very generous and thoughtful to think it but I'd be supplying and washing my own diapers.
#13 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the responses.

I'm not licensed since I can have up to 3 children not related in my care in my state. I know my personal limits so I will only have 2 in addition to my own.

I guess I need to think about it and figure out if it's feasable. I could color code the ditty bags for each child, but I'm not sure I'm willing to invest in an entire stash for each child. Although I could in my mind consider it a business expense. Take that first check and put it toward dipes.

Honestly the laundry doesn't frighten me. But I was thinking that their dipes would just share the load with ours. I wash every 2-3 days and it's definately not a full load so washing every 2 days would just about fill the washer. I really hadn't thought about transmitting stuff between the kids in diaper laundry. It's a valid point though. Hmmm.

I guess I need to figure out just how important it is for me to not handle a dozen or more sposies a day. Maybe I'll just give it a month and then if it's making me crazy still I can talk to the parents about it.

Thank you for letting me bounce this off of your gals,
Kris
#14 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 01:27 PM

I just saw your post. The way I look at it is this:

I doubt you would feed children in your care a diet of chemically laced processed junk food, just because the parents were comfortable doiing that to their kids at home. So why cemically laced processed "junk" dipes?

If it were me, Cd would just be a logical policy--part of being a child-friendly and earth-friendly home and daycare.

JMTC, of course.
#15 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If I were in your shoes I would just go with prefolds and prowraps. 2 dozen prefolds and 3 wraps for each child, 2 children, that would total $125 or one weeks pay. Get some it dye or procoin dye and do one batch red and one batch blue. Wash every three days. Do your dds one day, child 1 the next day and child 2 the next day. Have it worked into you daily schedule. Start the diapers when the last child leaves for home, tidy up the house, by the time you are done the dpes are ready for the dryer and hang the wraps and you'll be ready for tomarrow. (don't forget to record the hours you spend on "recovering" your home - these are a tax deduction. If you have questions about what tax deduction PM me). When one child leaves and the other comes bleech the snot out of the diapers he will use, redye if nessecary , rinse rinse rinse and re-use. While I normally wouldn't use bleech, this will assure parents that the diapers are absolutely sanitary and eventually that bleachy smell will reinse out. If you just can't bleech, sell them on e-bay (you could probably get half what you paid) and use the money for another 2 doz. dipe. Prefolds are cheap and fit a large range of babies.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#16 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 03:03 PM

i would go for it if you think it will work for you and the parents are comfortable with it. you might want to reconsider the amount of laundry you will be doing though :LOL i currently have 2 6 month olds in cloth and i need to wash every day- and that is a very full load. before these 2 were born i was cding 3 toddlers (mine and another i watched- washed them all together) and it was still an every day event- even with fewer diaper changes and mainly prefolds being used. i also came to a point where i *really* hated dealing with the other little guy's 2 year old poops in the toilet! some days changing like 6 poopie cloth diapers was enough to drive me to ! :LOL

good luck!
#17 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 05:16 PM

I'm taking in another child (same age as DD#2, one year old), and a requirement of mine was that the parents let me put her in cloth. A large reason behind why I use cloth diapers is b/c it makes me sick to the stomach to think of all the waste that disposables create... I'd feel like a big hypocrite if I put disposables on any child, even if s/he wasn't mine, even if I wasn't the one buying them. If I find I need more covers, I'll probably ask the parents to cover that cost, they'll be saving $$$ anyhow b/c they won't have to send her to me with disposables.... If the parents would have said 'no' to my request to use cloth, I would have shown them the door....

susie
#18 of 19 Old 03-06-2004, 06:40 PM

Quality daycare in my town is exteremely limited! A reputable provider could easily just say "yes I will provide care for your child but that child be required to wear cloth while in my care and you as a parent will be responsible for care of the diapers."

It is so hard to get into childcare here that I'd bet parents here would be reluctant but willing to comply with these requirements. Esp if you generated a nice informative pamphlet educating them on why CD's are important to you and sort of talking up how you believe the CDs are part of you AP childcare philosaphy etc..

So I imagine that such a hard line aproach might not work for you but if you are willing to take the chance of loosing a customer than perhaps mandatory cloth use and just making the parents responsible for supplying and washing their child's diapers is the way to go.

You could give parents the option of buying new or used starter sets from you and let them know thay you will buy starter sets back when it is time to go up a size, PT, or if they opt to leave your care.
#19 of 19 Old 03-07-2004, 12:42 AM

I'd go for it. I was watching a family member's sposied infant for a while, and it made me feel awful every time I changed him. Even my 2yo dd would say, "Baby wears yuck-diapers!" But I didn't have ANY dipes smaller than a large, as we didn't convert till dd was 1. So every say, I wrapped him in sposies, and every day it ate me up. Luckily, the mama quit her job to be a SAHM, so it became a non-issue for me on a day-to-day basis.

If you could keep the dipes seperate, I would go for it. I like the idea of getting prefolds and dyeing them different colors for different kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page