Keeping the diaper pail from stinking so bad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have one of those mini sprayers and rinse our dipes out pretty well before putting them in the pail. But when we open up the pail... SHEW! It really stinks. So I was thinking about getting one of those baking soda fridge freshener things to stick on the lid of the pail. Has anyone done this? Does it work? Anything I should be aware of

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We actually don't have a top on the diaper pail, and we have little to no issues with stink.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 04-17-2010, 12:44 PM

I keep the lid on loosely & that helps but by no means eliminates it (we have dogs so no lid is not an option). I do sprinkle baking soda with tea tree oil in the bottom of the pail & on top of the diapers every so often & that makes a big difference.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 04-17-2010, 12:50 PM

I agree with the pp - lidless is the way to go. DH was grossed out by the thought at first, but he's had to admit that they stink far less than when you have a lid on them.

Also washing the pail (not just rinsing it) every time you do laundry helps too.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 04-17-2010, 12:53 PM

I just use a hanging wet bag and it doesn't seem to stink too badly.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:48 PM

We use an old kitchen garbage can (plastic Rubbermaid kind) and the lid is on a hinge (the lid spins 360 degrees, attached in the middle, if this makes sense) so there is always a small gap and the lid is never on tightly. The key is to make sure your pail can breathe a bit. It's very similar to this one

We also spray our dipes really well.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Old 04-17-2010, 03:42 PM

For those of you with stink issues, do you use a liner? I was figuring getting one and washing it every time I wash diapers would work but that's an assumption...enlighten me before I invest!

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
Old 04-17-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

we do have a wet bag to hang in the diaper pail (b/c I am lazy and don't want to have to wash the pail itself all the time). The lid doesn't sit on it air tight... and I'm kind of worried that if we took the lid off that the house would start to stink... there was one time that we left the lid up and when we came home from work, the house smelled diaper-y.
I do periodically sprinkle baking soda in and amongst the dipes and that helps. But they are pocket dipes, so I sometimes get worried about whether that baking soda will hurt them in the wash. I think BG says not to use baking soda to wash them... so that was why I thought of the baking soda stick on freshener.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanniesue2 View Post
there was one time that we left the lid up and when we came home from work, the house smelled diaper-y.
Hmmm...I honestly don't think our house smells diaper-y. Maybe it was because it had been closed up and then opened? Maybe if it were open all the time, the diapers would have a chance to air out and dry a little bit one by one (whichever is the last one in at the moment). Does that make sense?

How often do you wash? I wash every 2-3 days. We use mostly fitteds with a few BG and FB.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 04-17-2010, 06:23 PM

I've always heard you should have a trash can with a swinging lid so there is airflow. I've heard that any trasch can with a closing lid is much more prone to stink issues because there is NO air flow.

I use a 13 gallon trash can with a swinging lid and a Kissaluvs Antibaterial pail liner (I have two that I rotate). I wash my diapers every other day and never, ever have stink issues.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

Old 04-17-2010, 06:25 PM

Oh, and I've also heard you can attach one of those charcoal-odor-absorbing things to the trasch can lid (the ones people use for kitty litter) and it helps cut down on the stink, too.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 PM

Maybe you could try these, too? Free shipping, no minimum order on CB! http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...roducts_id=145

Old 04-17-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

I wash every 2-3 days. Maybe we will try looking into one of the trash cans with a swinging lid... And what I had in mind for sticking on the inside of the lid was the fridge fresh stick on thing about 1/3 of the way down on that page.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 PM

I had been using a bucket with a wet bag while trying to decide on what I'd like best. I ended up swtiching to a hamper that has holes in it. I don't use a liner or wet bag and no stink at all.
Of course, ds is ebf so the poo is easy to deal with but I was getting urine stink while using the bucket and wet bag.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 PM

We just have a kitchen-type trash can for a diaper pale and really don't have stink issues... occasionally I'll spray some bac-out into the pail (usually right after I throw dipes in the washer, if I think about it), but otherwise, I don't do anything to the diapers... we use BG 2.0s/3.0s exclusively
Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 AM

We use a SimpleHuman step-lid trash can with a PlanetWise pail liner. There is a small stink issue right around the can on the third day (wash day) but it isn't too bad. You can't smell it in the rest of the room (and DH has an incredibly sensitive sense of smell). I do have to wash out the can when I launder the dipes because it smells nasty if I stick my nose in it, even with the pail liner. Luckily the can itself has a removable inner so washing it out is pretty easy.

We used a Monkey Doodlz deodorizer disk inside the lid for a while. This pretty much eliminated the diaper smell (I didn't have to wash the can) but DH didn't like the smell of the disk (!) so we stopped using them.

The swing-lid can sounds like a good idea but what we have works OK so I'm not about to go out and buy another can.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
I just use a hanging wet bag and it doesn't seem to stink too badly.
We use one like this, it hangs on the door of DS's room. We never have stink issues, and I wash every 2-3 days. I was skeptical at first, but it's totally true.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
For those of you with stink issues, do you use a liner? I was figuring getting one and washing it every time I wash diapers would work but that's an assumption...enlighten me before I invest!
that's exactly what I wanted to recommend!

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 PM

I switched from a PUL hanging wet bag to a wool hanging wet bag a month ago, and I have been super happy. I wash every 2-3 days, which I'm sure also helps keeps the smell down, but I think maybe the breathability of the wool helps, too? Because the PUL bag would certainly get whiffy on occasion.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
Old 04-24-2010, 05:06 AM

I agree that lid-less is the way to go. It's amazing how air circulating cuts down on the odor.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalemma View Post
I switched from a PUL hanging wet bag to a wool hanging wet bag a month ago, and I have been super happy. I wash every 2-3 days, which I'm sure also helps keeps the smell down, but I think maybe the breathability of the wool helps, too? Because the PUL bag would certainly get whiffy on occasion.
How large is your wool bag? How does it hang? Do you have a pattern to share? Or purchase location?
I have a small travel wool wet bag but would love to knit something up over time with yarn scrap. YUM!

TIA!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:42 PM

It was embarrassingly cheap and easy:

I bought a giant wool sweater at the thrift store (I specifically looked for something really thick, labeled handwash or dry-clean only, so it would felt) that had a crew/round neckline.

Then I cut off the sleeves, in line with the body of the sweater. I flipped it inside out and stitched the sleeves shut and the bottom shut. So now I had a bag with an opening at the top. I threaded a ribbon through the stitches around the neck to form a drawstring.

Threw the whole thing in the machine, felted it until it looked thick enough, rinsed it and air-dried it. (I plan to lanolinize it, but haven't gotten to it yet - it still works fine.)

I hang it on a doorknob by the ribbon, and the diapers go in the bag through the neck opening. On laundry day, I just loosen the drawstring and dump the diapers into the machine. But the one change I think I'm going to make is to put a zipper in the bottom seam, so on wash day I can just unzip it and they'll all tumble out at once, no shaking.

Size-wise, I think it's about 30 inches high by 18 inches wide. It's big enough to hold three days of diapers of my 5 month old.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 PM

How did you felt it?

RN (34), a bit of a treehugger.gif, fur mama to 3 cat.gif and 1 horse,with a wonderful, artistic hubby (41), married since 2004.

Mama to D.G., born 9/19/12 at 32w4d, who happily fly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfambedsingle1.gifcd.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gif 

Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 AM

Just in the machine, on hot, with a bit of soap - I put it in a pillowcase first (sometimes felting will throw off crazy amounts of fuzz). But it was really simple.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Our pail is topless too, we wash avery 2/3 days. By the third days it does start to get a little stinky. If I can't wash them right at that moment, I take a prefold and put a couple of drops of TTO on it and lay it on top. Works great!

Heather, mama to          

User Tag List