Ammonia smelling prefolds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-06-2004, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this has been asked so many times before, and I'm sorry, but I couldn't find an answer in the archives.

I just got some new prefolds for DS, and they REEK of ammonia when I change him, doesn't matter how wet he is. I've never had this problem, and I've been using prefolds for 8 months. It's so bad in the morning that it literally knocks my breath away.

When I got the diapers I washed them in 5 hot washes, dried in between each wash. Only used about 2 or 3 tablespoons of regular Gain in the first wash, the other washes were with nothing. They're bleached prefolds, if that matters any, I've always used unbleached before.

So what's my problem? I'm afraid my little man is going to end up with ammonia burns one of these mornings!
#2 of 9 Old 03-06-2004, 03:07 AM
nym

You know, my prefolds are getting like this too. Now I know it is not my washing technique, because my fitteds don't smell. And I have boiled them and stripped them and washed them with BS and vinegar. I just don't know!
#3 of 9 Old 03-06-2004, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention, I do know that we have REALLY hard water. I can't even get the deposits out of our coffeepot it's so hard. What cofuses me is why didn't my UBCPFs smell like ammonia?

Though now that I think of it, they did have a slightly "off" smell even after coming out of the dryer....it was more of a really faded poo smell though...
#4 of 9 Old 03-06-2004, 12:49 PM

Try one wash with more soap. It could just not be enough with hard water.
#5 of 9 Old 03-06-2004, 01:47 PM

When any of my stuff stinks, I boil it with baking soda.

#6 of 9 Old 03-06-2004, 01:55 PM

Vinegar in the rinse cycle with every wash every wash every wash! Baking soda soak before washing. Lavender oil. Tea tree oil. Works for me!!! And I live in San Antonio where the water is as hard as a rock!
#7 of 9 Old 03-07-2004, 11:57 AM

How much vinegar do you use? I have the same problem with hard water. When I have added vinegar, it never seems to be enough. I have used tea tree and lavendar oil too, but always wonder if it just covers up the smell.

I haven't tried boiling...that would be a big project. How long do you boil them???

It seems like a really hot dryer works the best - even better than hanging them outside where they just end up as hard a rocks.
#8 of 9 Old 03-07-2004, 03:59 PM

I also heard that Calgon water softener works really good too! You can find it at your local walmart in liquid or powder. I stripped my dipes with vinegar this last weekend and it seemed to do just fine, hope you find something that works for you!
#9 of 9 Old 03-07-2004, 04:11 PM

the best thing that worked for us is really HOT water , more detergent than normal and an extra rinse cycle. This seems to be working great for us. We have hard water (I don't know if it would qualify as "Rock Hard" ). Hope this helps.
If not, try bac-out. That will take the stick out of a skunk!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page