Which is a better performer: Crunchy Clean or Country Save? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't tried Country Save, yet. I've tried Crunchy Clean and Charlie's.

We have major issues with stink in our Fuzzi Bunz. It often causes me to use disposables and I'm so sick of it.

I have tried *everything* to get the stink out: Boiling water; Dawn; sunshine; Calgon; RLR; vinegar; baking soda; multiple washing with no additives; Bac-Out; and probably other things I'm not thinking of.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Loving DH :, chasing DS (3/08) and getting to know sweet DD (born 3/10 at home).
#2 of 9 Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 PM

I personally love country save. It really does a fantastic job. However, there seems to be something else going on if you keep getting the stinkies after all that you are doing. How much detergent are you using? HE machine or top loader? Have they always had the stinkies or is this something that developed and then you couldn't get rid of it?

Sultana

Proud Mama to Kiri (5/5/05) and Mikah (9/12/07). Owner Simple Wonders Diapers - providing personalized service to help you choose the perfect diapering system for your family. Check out our WAHMarket coupon!
#3 of 9 Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for answering my post!!!

I use a tablespoon of either Crunchy Clean or Charlie's. Our machine is a no-frills frontloader. No sanitize option or anything like that.

I do a cold wash with a touch of bleach (terrible, I know) or Bac-Out or Simple Green. Then anywhere from 3 to 6 hot washes (that have cold rinses at the end).

The stinkies started after... a few months. Now DS is 2YO and I feel like it's always something we battle. Sometimes it's horrible, sometimes just stinky.

Thanks.

Loving DH :, chasing DS (3/08) and getting to know sweet DD (born 3/10 at home).
#4 of 9 Old 04-21-2010, 10:47 PM

Have you cleaned your machine?

Your manual should have instructions, but basically you run the longest, hottest cycle you have with the machine completely empty and about 1/4-1/2 cup of bleach.

My machine manual recommends that I do it every month, but I do it usually every 2-3 months.

If you are using bleach with every load and still getting stinkies, I'm betting it's your machine.
#5 of 9 Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 PM

Also, toddler pee just stinks more.

When are your diapers smelling? Straight out of the wash? Straight out of the dryer? Only after your soo pees? etc.
#6 of 9 Old 04-26-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm having stink issues with my fuzzibunz inserts too and we've only been using them 2 months.

I've tried Charlies, Country Save, Rockin Green, Oxyclean and I just picked up Borax. The Borax seemed to do the trick yesterday but I used it on the 4th wash so I'm not sure if it would work on the 1st.

I've read elsewhere on the board that conventional detergents would probably work much better (Tide free kept popping up) but I don't know if I can bring myself to try it. We only use natural cleaners for everything...

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#7 of 9 Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 PM

I'm wondering if you're using too little detergent. Try using a full scoop (or cup, whatever came with the detergent) for one load, then running another water-only load to get the excess soap out. That might at least get things clean enough where you can try tweaking your normal wash ritual (which I'm in the process of doing right now, ironically - we had bad stinkies, too).

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#8 of 9 Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM

I can't help but wonder, too, about your diaper pail. I actually found that my diapers were stinky when I was using a wet pail and had NO issues with smell while using a dry pail without a lid.
#9 of 9 Old 04-27-2010, 01:30 PM

I have not CDed yet. BUT I was at a cloth diapering workshop this weekend, and the leader told me that Charlie's soap is no good in New England. (I see you are east coast) Apparantly the water here tends to be harder (I think) here as opposed to other areas of the country and the charlie's soap doesn't permeate it well enough to get a good clean in. Maybe someone else can rec. something better - I have heard Tide Free is good? But really, no experience yet.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page