CDs seem huge on new born - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter's a week old, and we've been using disposables so far. But I have prefolds and Thirsties Duo covers that I want to use. She was 8 lbs, 7 oz at birth, and the Thirsties say they fit starting at 8lbs. But they seem way too huge on her, even considering that disposables fit slimmer. Is this normal, or should we have something else until she gains a few lbs?
#2 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 01:13 AM

I think all cloth diapers seem huge on babies until they can actually move around a little on their own. As long as the diaper is doing its job and not leaking, its all good!

Mother to one wonderful 5 year old son and another on the way, caretaker of dogs, cats, chickens and worms. EDD 12/11/2011

#3 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Diapers in general can be gigantic on a newborn. my 5lb newborn totally swam in even preemie stuff at first we actually went to cloth right away because the cloth (preemie prefolds and nanabottom preemie AIOS) were the best fit for her. They grow pretty fast though. I know my DD did not at all fit the thirsties covers eaither the regular or the duo but now at 6.5 weeks and 7.5 lbs with some actual meat on her thighs they are starting to work.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#4 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 02:25 AM

Yes, they certainly can seem a little big at first. I find it easier to use a prefold and snappi with a diaper cover, even if it is a wrap. This is esp. true for keeping newborn bm's in. Try them out and see what you think

Sultana

Proud Mama to Kiri (5/5/05) and Mikah (9/12/07). Owner Simple Wonders Diapers - providing personalized service to help you choose the perfect diapering system for your family. Check out our WAHMarket coupon!
#5 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 AM

My DD was born at 7 pounds, and I started using prefolds & thirsties duo wraps at 2weeks, when she was just over 8 pounds. I was surprised to find that the cloth was MUCH better at containing leaky ebf poop than disposables... you just have to make sure you close the cover so the prefold is fully encased. To minimize leeks into the cover, the angel wing fold with a snappi works really well for me.

So, yeah, they're bulkier than disposables, but more effective, IME, and SO much cuter!!
#6 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 12:42 PM

Hmm. I would think the Thirsties duo wrap size one snapped down to the smallest size should fit. What size are your prefolds? I used nb until about 10 lbs, then infant from 10-15 lbs, but plenty of people use infant pf's from birth on. (GMD brand sizes are different, though)

In general, sposies are much slimmer, so cloth can seem bulky, especially when they are so little, but like others have said, I also found it kept everything in better. If I had extra length I always folded it down in back to help form an extra poo barrier, then almost always used the jelly roll fold to keep stuff in.

And baby will grow faster than you will believe and you'll wonder how she ever fit in those tiny little things.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#7 of 8 Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm going to take the plunge as soon as her umbilical stump falls off. I had no idea even diapering would seem overwhelming at first!
#8 of 8 Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 AM

My last started cds at 2 days. He was born in the hospital and I was afraid his cds would vanish, so I delayed until we got home. We had great fits with nanipoos.. I love fitteds that take into consideration little umbilical cords!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page