Rash ONLY with cd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Background- I'm a third (more?) generation cd'er. My daughter has been cd'ed for about 15 of her 18 months. My mil uses sposies when she watches dd. We use prefolds and bummis old faithful snap cover. I use rockin' green, and occasionally a smidge of vinegar when washing. We sun when possible, but it's been a pretty gray winter and wet spring... sigh. I do a cold rinse and a hot wash for about 1-1.5 hours.
I find that often when my dd is in cloth for several days straght (like the weekend when I'm home), her butt will get red, but not with sposies. I try to change her frequently, and use fleece liners. I strip my dipes about every other month lately with dawn and hot water in my mother's top loader. I just wanted to know if this is something other people have encountered. There's little to no rash with sposies or a combo of cd and sposies. Sometimes they get a little stinky, hence the stripping.
on a related note, does northern essence sensitive skin cause build up? We don't use it very frequently.
It's just very frustrating, because I think that my MIL doesn't want to use cloth because dd's butt can get so red!
#2 of 4 Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 AM

When you strip in the top loader do you do a cycle before you add soap to see if you do have residue? I would do that out of curiosity if nothing else. It could be a bacteria in the diapers or the buildup or a intolerance to your detergent.

I would run them through a couple hot cycles with no soap checking for suds each time. Depending on the results from that I would use a different detergent even if you just borrow a small amount from who ever you can to see if that helps. If all else failed I would try a small amount of bleach.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 PM

In cloth, my daughter got rashes only when she was left in a wet diaper for any length of time. I'd recommend going without the liners, using cotton bloomers instead of covers, and change her as soon as she pees, with a few minutes to air out before the new diaper goes on.
#4 of 4 Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averlee View Post
In cloth, my daughter got rashes only when she was left in a wet diaper for any length of time. I'd recommend going without the liners, using cotton bloomers instead of covers, and change her as soon as she pees, with a few minutes to air out before the new diaper goes on.
Good idea, we go coverless a lot! Then it is easy to realize she has peed and get her in a dry diaper.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page