Let's talk about disposable inserts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use prefolds & Thirsties covers most of the time at our house (we also have one Flip cover in the mix).

This summer, I'll be taking DS to visit family for a week, so I've been thinking about what I'm going to do diaper-wise. I'm still considering taking the prefolds with me, but let's just assume that I decide not to do that...

Talk to me about disposable inserts. I tried GDiapers when DS was about 2 months old, and I wasn't impressed. The inserts seemed quite narrow (DS will be about 15 months old at the time we travel).

Are the GroBaby disposable inserts (biosoakers, I think?) wider? How about the Flip disposables? I've read some bad reviews about the Flip ones being narrow. Perhaps you could measure the length and width of whichever type you have at home and we can compile the results here!

In addition to the width question, has anyone tried any of these inserts in a Thirsties cover? Any reason one would need to use an insert only with the type of cover it is designed for (e.g., Flip inserts only with Flip covers)?
#2 of 5 Old 05-07-2010, 03:03 PM

I have been exploring these lately, too. I tried the gDiapers and am not very impressed - I always leak into the little plastic snap in liner, and it's a pain. I have been using Grobaby Bio Soakers. Now, they do have a small amount (I think it's 3 g compared to 10-15 in sposies) of the SAP gel. However, they also have gussets, just like on a sposie. I find that these hold in my little guys EBF poop pretty well and hardly ever get on the cover. I have used them with the grobaby shells and the gDiapers cover and had no problem with them. they have adhesive on them in two spots, so I bet they would work well in any cover. I don't have a Thirstiees cover of the right size or I'd try ti wor you.

My complaint amount the Flip and gDiaper disp. inserts is that they are jsut flat, so my little guys poop just rolls right off and gets everywhere. They may be better for older babies with more solid poop.

Hope that helps a bit!

Rachele Garrin ~ Missing Gideon and Butterball ~ Loving for our Jareth
#3 of 5 Old 05-07-2010, 06:57 PM

the grobaby liner is actually a little narrower, but the gussets make all the difference a far as keeping everything contained. i havent tried them in a thirsties cover, but the adhesive is pretty strong, so i imagine they would work.

Erica, mama to DSslingboy.gif (02/2010) and expecting baby #2 in January!

#4 of 5 Old 05-08-2010, 01:28 AM

I love our grobaby biosoakers! The gussets are awesome. I lay ours in all of our covers (grobaby, flip, thirsties...) and there have been times I've laid them in my aios, too. I basically only use them for the IL's who watch my lo on Fridays (they are cloth-phobes), but I've been totally impressed by how they hold up.

PSA: Do NOT put the sticky on bare PUL under ANY circumstances! The liners can just lay in the covers just fine. The adhesive is a little too good and can overstick to bare pul, which can result in, at best, a gross sticky residue, and at worst, a torn cover.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#5 of 5 Old 05-08-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The gussets on the GroBaby inserts are a major selling point. DS is 13 months, but he still has pretty sticky/gooey poops, so gussets would help. I hate that I'd have to order the GroBaby ones online (flip and G's are available in local stores), but it might be worth a shot.

I've just ordered some flats, so I'm also going to experiment with those (they'd be easy to hand wash and hang dry while traveling, and maybe easier to get clean in a front loader washer while visiting family). Perhaps a combo of flats and disposable inserts will be the way to go.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page