Prefolds & Proraps: Do I NEED to get Newborn size Proraps covers or can I just use my smalls? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Initially I was thinking with this new baby (due in 6 weeks) I'd just use disposables at first (remembering that BF babies poo about 12 times a day and the covers can only be used once if pooed in, and to keep it simple in the beginning)

But the AWESOME article about cloth diapering in the most recent Mothering issue reminded me of all the reasons I love cloth! Why put nasty chemicals on the most sensitive skin on Earth?

I started cloth diapering when my DD was 2 months old so I have small size proraps covers on up, and PLENTY of prefolds and wipes.

So, how to (cheaply) do cloth on a newborn with what I have? Do I NEED to get newborn size Proraps? Would a newborn be drowning (and leaking out) a small size cover or would it work fine for that first month?

What to consider about the cord stump?

The Small Proraps say 9-14 lbs, and both my babies were around 7.5 lbs at birth. Baby 1 gained weight VERY quickly and got to 9lbs at about a month and baby 2 was average if not a little slow to gain, getting there by probably 2 months.

And...if I SHOULD go for some newborn covers, how many??? I remember until about 6 weeks they poo all the time!!!

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

#2 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 02:37 AM

Well, my guy didn't start fitting into NB covers until he was several months old. We had him in a preemie cover until then, and at 7 mos, he's still in Smalls. And we only had 1 cover. So long as you Snappi/pin the prefold on tight enough, the poo shouldn't get on the cover, and the cover shouldn't need washing. We also spent a lot of time coverless, so that I could tell when he peed.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 02:47 AM

I would get newborn (and maybe even a couple preemies) b/c their thighs are so skinny in the beginning. Also, the rise on small is high enough to bother the umbilical area. I would say at least 6 newborn covers?

Infant prefolds were huge and bulky on my newborns (even at 8 lbs), and didn't fit nicely into the newborn covers - so you might consider getting preemie or newborn (I think they have orange edging) prefolds. Or, just fold them so they fit better, b/c they really do grow quickly.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 03:30 AM

prorap cover are huge on my skinny minis even the preemie ones were gigantic in the legs.

deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#5 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 AM

I would do a few newborn covers, the cord notch is really necessary. Newborn proraps were the only newborn covers that ever worked for us, there is no cut out on the Bummi's so I couldn't use those until his cord fell off.
#6 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 AM

My little one weighed 8 lbs. 11 oz. at birth. He is 7 weeks old now, and we used nb proraps for the first 5 weeks (two weeks to get back to birthweight, two more weeks to get to 9 lbs. 11 oz., another week to get to 10 lbs.) The smalls really didn't fit until 9 pounds, and fit much better once he passed 10 lbs. I think even a 9-10 lb. newborn would be better of with the nb size for the umbilical cutout, but they might get only 3 weeks of use from them.

This is a good size to find lightly used.
#7 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 AM
MJB

My last baby was 9 lbs. and the newborn pro-raps didn't fit at all, not even on the day he was born. We just went without a cover (snappi'd prefold) until his cord stump fell off.
Since your babies are smaller, though, you should probably get some NB size. Also, remember that while newborns poop often, there's usually not that much and most of the time it won't even get on the cover. And if it does, newborn poop is pretty innocuous stuff and not really a big deal to rinse off in the sink and hang dry. We got by with 3 small covers when my oldest was born.
#8 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 PM

I got two newborn and I loved them especiallly the first couple of months> the indent for the cord comes very handy those furst few weeks.

mom to , and two pups
#9 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM

I wouldn't skip straight to smalls.. the leg gaps will cause leaks... Proraps have umbilical cord notches.. my babies have all been 6 lbs to 7.5 lbs.. and definitely had the skinny thighs..

To do it really cheaply I would pick up used newborn prorap covers.. babies are sometimes in them such a short time that they don't get the normal wear and tear that bigger sizes get.. so if they have been through just one babe, then they would be pretty newish. That would be the cheapest way to go. You could also knit some wool soakers (if you know how) or reuse an old wool sweater to make some wool wraps.. that would stretch your dollar as well, but I would use a snappi on the prefolds since the cover wouldn't be the part necessarily holding the diaper up.

I would go with 6-8 covers.. remember that wool covers usually need handwashing and hang dry, so they need a bit longer to dry before reuse if they get poo on them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page