Prefolds: With Snappi or Without? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some really small prefolds that I thought were newborn sized. I can't use the snappi to attach them to DS anymore. I asked my mom to get me some larger prefolds. When she went to the diaper store and told them the baby was 12 lbs. they gave her the same small prefolds and said anything larger would be too big. I'm realizing that if I just lay them in the cover folded in thirds they are the perfect size but I'm worried about leaking/blowouts if I don't use PFs with a snappi. What are your thoughts? Do you use snappis or not?

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM

I like a snappi or I get saggin. OK not me but DD lol. Can you exchange the dipes for the regular size and then fold the back down? I think regular size pfs fit a 3 or 4 month old just fine with the back folded down and then you can snappi (which holds poo in better) and they will probably be able to potty learn out of that size.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 15 Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM

I always snappi... or poo always gets on the cover. I would exchange the smalls for the regulars or whatever and just fold the extra down. That is what we do

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#4 of 15 Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Depending what covers you've got, you may not need snappi. Even with the gerber pull-on plastic pants, I never used pins or other fasteners. Only if we were going without a cover did I use a fastener (I had home made diaper belts, elastic and velcro that goes around baby's waist).
#5 of 15 Old 05-12-2010, 10:05 PM

All I can say is that prefolds laying in a cover Did NOT work for me. There was poo or pee on the cover everytime. I gave up the cloth diaper service, but maybe a snappi would have fixed that..

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#6 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 12:02 AM

I vote for using the snappi also, especially for a little one who likely is still having runny poo. What are the measurements on the current prefolds? Perhaps we can suggest some alternatives.
#7 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 AM

Yep, Snappi here too. I tried laying a tri-folded prefold in a SWW a couple of times, but I think most of the poo ended up in the cover.

We're between sizes in prefolds right now - I can hardly Snappi the infant size around DS, but the premiums are big and need to be folded down at the back. I use our larger SWW for that. No biggie - he'll grow.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#8 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I go mosty coverless so I snappi or pin.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#9 of 15 Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 AM

Not a trifolding fan here either... I am with PPs and see if you can exchange for a size up or perhaps get some pins and pin them. Pins give you a bit more size range than a snappi.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#10 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM

I Snappis!

jog.gifkid.gif

#11 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 02:10 PM

Definitely try to exchange those prefolds for a bigger size. I have prefolds that are too big, but I just fold them in the back. I always use a snappi. I bought a couple toddler sized snappis when DS was about 14 or 15 lbs (they're a bit wider) and I found those to be really helpful.

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

#12 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSimplicity View Post
I have some really small prefolds that I thought were newborn sized. I can't use the snappi to attach them to DS anymore. I asked my mom to get me some larger prefolds. When she went to the diaper store and told them the baby was 12 lbs. they gave her the same small prefolds and said anything larger would be too big. I'm realizing that if I just lay them in the cover folded in thirds they are the perfect size but I'm worried about leaking/blowouts if I don't use PFs with a snappi. What are your thoughts? Do you use snappis or not?
My little one is about the same size. I can still snappi the infant prefolds if I do the bikini twist. It just barely fits. The problem is that they get really soaked really fast. I like Little Lions capri size right now. The blue-edge premium prefolds work okay (better than the infant size at this in-between age), but they're really bulky right now. GMD's yellow or red would also work to be snappied
#13 of 15 Old 05-16-2010, 04:07 PM

I almost always use a snappi, stays in place better. I move the kids up to the bluestitch at around that size I fold them down in front. I only use 2 size green and bluestitch from birth to pt'ing.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#14 of 15 Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 PM

I love the snappi, I think it is the best invention ever for prefolds. I don't fold my diapers in thirds though. I use the jelly role technique. You lay the cloth diaper out under the baby roll the front about 3 times on both sides, pull through the legs and connect the back sides to the front sides with the snappi. The roll helps keep the mess in, except for the occassional blowouts, which wouldn't really be contained by any diapering system.

Jaime
#15 of 15 Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 PM

Snappi!!

My 2yr old and my 5 mo. old are wearing the same sized prefolds. A snappi lets you get creative with different folds (bikini twist, jellyroll,etc.) which helps use up the "extra" fabric in a larger sized diaper. I say go bigger and use a snappi

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.

User Tag List