Why do people LOVE bg? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just confused as to why people love them so much! I am personally not a pocket person I prefer fitted or contours so why do people LOVE these bum genius dipes? do they wash themselves? I just don't understand. Please help me try to!

Big momma
#2 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 PM

They are easy to use.
But I don't love them. They fall apart easily and I could never get the funky diaper smell out of them no matter what de-stinking method I used.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#3 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 07:07 PM

I like them cause' there one-size - I buy diapers once and never again. My wash routine is extremely simple - once on cold w/ normal amount of detergent, once on hot w/o any, then into the drier. Done. Sit around and stuff while I watch tv, then they go on just like a sposie - so anybody can change my kiddos.

For us, they last wonderfully - ds1 wore his 2.0s till he potty trained, and still wears one at night (cause' I'm lazy and don't want to change sheets at 2am - he's usually dry in the morning, but why risk it?). DS2 was born before ds1 was potty trained, so we got 36 3.0s. I just gave most of the 2.0s to a friend for her new baby.

They've just been great diapers for us - I had some repelling issues 6-9 months ago w/ the 2.0s, which I eventually solved by switching to planet detergnet (I'd used allens naturally for years, then switched to ecos, had issues, switched to planet and their fine again )
#4 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Because they are everywhere? I despise pockets, microfibre and velcro on mobile babies, so I was never interested in trying BumGenius when they first came out. But if I hadn't already had the experience - say, if I were looking to buy cloth diapers for the first time now, instead of 5 years ago, I would probably end up buying that brand, because they are sold on so many cloth diaper and natural parenting sites, and even more commercial sites such as 1800Diapers and Target.

Plus, they keep coming out with improvements and new products - the organic one-size AIO, Flip, Econobum - so there is always "buzz" about the brand.
#5 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 09:11 PM

I got BG as my first pocket diaper and loved it! I did have stink issues with the liners they come with and got really sick of stuffing diapers! I used I think 5 other brands of pocket diapers and the BG was my favorite because I perfer the micro suede they have as opposed to the micro fleece other diapers have. Mine have held up great and I used and abused them! I did have to convert them to snaps, but that just made me love them more.

I did go to prefolds for the ease of washing (natural fiber) and not having to
"stuff" diapers. I have dug out my BG to use for naps and night as DD has decided she doesn't like feeling wet at night. The elastic is perfect, the inside is perfect and stain free and the outside is like the day I bought them. They are about 2 1/2yo and for a while I only had 18bg for both kids so they got washed 2 times a day.

I now only stuff them with prefolds thought.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 PM

I dunno. But they are my least favorite pockets. I don't like the bulk, I don't like the way the velcro is scratchy and I don't like the way they wear out and pill on the tabs.
I pockets, especially for older babies and toddlers. BGs are the last ones I grab from my stash.
#7 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post

I dunno. But they are my least favorite pockets. I don't like the bulk, I don't like the way the velcro is scratchy and I don't like the way they wear out and pill on the tabs.
I pockets, especially for older babies and toddlers. BGs are the last ones I grab from my stash.
Which pockets do you prefer?

Wife to Jesse - Mommy to Corigan 4/09 & Hayden 7/10
#8 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 11:04 PM

I really like FBs (have sized ones in my stash, so can't speak for the one size) and Knickernappies.

I've had my eye on the new Best Bottom diaper, which is sort of like a pocket w/out the pocket, but they are sold out right now. I really want to try them, as they look awesome!
#9 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 PM

Thank you for the link!

Wife to Jesse - Mommy to Corigan 4/09 & Hayden 7/10
#10 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 PM

I'm half a fan of BG. I like the suedecloth inner fabric. I like the quality of everything but a couple of key components.

The things I dislike:
1) The aplix and laundry tabs have not lasted. I've had mine removed and replaced with snaps.

2) I don't feel like they are truly "one size". DS is only 17 months but is outgrowing them. They need a longer rise.

I've commented to cottonbabies about both complaints. I think if they could make snaps an option, and make a longer rise they could have a "perfect" one size diaper.
#11 of 35 Old 05-15-2010, 11:58 PM

They're the diaper I trusted most for DD - as a toddler they were the only pocket I'd put her in for nighttime. And I'd say of all the pockets, the BG kept her driest.

I also like the fit on little DS (both the pockets and the AIOs). And they seem as trustworthy on him so far.

I haven't had any velcro fail yet - I'm still using my 1.0s and 2.0s. I've probably just jinxed myself.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#12 of 35 Old 05-16-2010, 12:13 AM

they are cheap and mainstream. People like mainstream.

I bought them at first and I've since learned I don't like much about them. My daughter was on the tallest rise before she was even a year old (her body shape has changed a bit so she is now between second and third at 14 months) so they are just too short, the velcro sucks, the microfiber feels icky (I now know I like natural) I don't like PUL on the outside because it feels weird, I like cotton or some other softer material or maybe it is just the type of PUL or something.. its a minor dislike though because I'll use thirsties covers and RaR.

I think they are the johnson and johnson of the cloth diapering world. Everyone uses them, they are easily accessable as everyone sells 'em. the price is right and they are advertised as much as cloth in general is so its one of the first names people learn. Doesn't make them GOOD but it sure makes people think they are.

They were fine to use when I was learning about what I like best... now i'm trying to get rid of them as quickly as possible.
#13 of 35 Old 05-16-2010, 12:20 AM

I do love their Snap Organic OS AIO, but they are pricey and I couldn't make my whole stash out of them. But I love having a few. No stuffing, natural fabric... but it does feel wet to the baby b/c of the natural fabric with no wicking.
#14 of 35 Old 05-16-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
I'm half a fan of BG. I like the suedecloth inner fabric. I like the quality of everything but a couple of key components.

The things I dislike:
1) The aplix and laundry tabs have not lasted. I've had mine removed and replaced with snaps.

2) I don't feel like they are truly "one size". DS is only 17 months but is outgrowing them. They need a longer rise.

I've commented to cottonbabies about both complaints. I think if they could make snaps an option, and make a longer rise they could have a "perfect" one size diaper.
Yep. I haven't done snaps yet, I just went ahead and replaced the Aplix.

That being said, I like my BG quite a bit. I wouldn't necessarily want a whole stash of BG, as I typically use prefolds and covers at home, but out and about I like pocket diapers, they take up less room, they're all bundled together, etc. And I've found BG pretty trim and dependable.

I like that BG are cheap and easy to come by. For me cloth diapering is about cost just as much as it is about anything else. I don't want to spend more than $18 per diaper (and frankly, I've rarely spent more than $11 on my BG as most of mine are seconds--and BG seconds actually include inserts).

As for them being mainstream, I love it. I like that they can be found everywhere, makes it much easier for family to gift us with diapers. Not something they would normally do, but have done, since they can find 'em on Amazon and/or Target websites.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#15 of 35 Old 05-16-2010, 01:33 PM

I have a few BG's in my stash and they're ok. I use them for going out and when my parents are watching him. I have used them a few times over night double stuffed unsnapped and we didn't have leaks, but I prefer fitteds over night because he's a side sleeper with a stay dry liner.

I'd use natural fabrics if I could, but my son HATES feeling even a little wet so I use Flip Stay Dry. It's cheaper and I like the simplicity and the one size option. They run larger than BG and are really really trim!

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#16 of 35 Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM

BG AIOs (org and deluxe) make up exactly half of my stash, and I'm to the point where I'm not completely impressed with the way they hold up. The ones I bought new are ok, but the ones I got second hand are really looking rough. The velcro is scratchy and stops working -- my biggest complaint. As far as fit and absorbency, they seem to work just fine, but the velcro is the pits. I have one org aio that I bought after it had been converted to snaps, but the fit it slightly wonky and I'm not impressed with that either. but they work, so I continue to use them. That, and they are pretty trim.

I sold off all my Flips, and the econobum I have is ok, but I don't think I would buy any more. I loathe pockets so I can't comment on those.

Wifey to Hubby, Mama to Boy (2004) and Girl (2009). 
#17 of 35 Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM

I like them because they wick away the moisture so my baby isn't sitting on a wet lump like with prefolds (I used those for 3 days and quit).

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#18 of 35 Old 05-17-2010, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I really don't know. I have tons of one size pockets (Happy Heiny's, Rumparooz, Swaddlebees Econonappies, Kanga's, Knickernappies) and BumGenius are the only ones I have had serious leaks with and the elastic completely gave way and the velcro stopped working. As far as I am concerned they are the crummiest diapers I've tried and I've been through a whole lot of other diapers as well.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#19 of 35 Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

wow thanks for all your insights! I can't wait to cd this baby! My MIL will hopefully be making me most of my stash so I am super excited!

Big Momma
#20 of 35 Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 PM

I hated them! They always leaked, probably because they were such a pain to wash. I could never strip them enough. I still have them because I feel bad selling them to someone. What if they're trying out cloth and turned off just because the two bumgeniuses they bought from me don't work?
#21 of 35 Old 05-21-2010, 04:43 PM

Huh. My son is long and thin and BG is one of the few pockets out of the many we've tried that haven't leaked. And they're trim. I always hang them to dry so they still look brand new. But cheap? Hardly, at more than 15 per diaper.
We typically use PFs and Flip covers--those are the best covers! Well, the best waterproof, anyhow.

poetry-writing feminist, loving my h and my ju-ju-be
"That rug really tied the room together."
#22 of 35 Old 05-22-2010, 04:49 PM

So far, I really love them! In fact, I just bought 6 more to add to my stash. (I bought the pockets, not the AIOs.)

I started cloth diapering 7 years ago with my first. I used Kissaluvs fitteds + covers and Fuzzi Bunz pockets.

I don't know if it's that diapers have advanced so much since then or what, but the Bum Genius are SO nicely adjustable (I can get a perfect fit!!) and seem so much better than the old Fuzzi Bunz that I have (that are from 5+ years ago).

So I may like them because I'm comparing them to older diapers. I'm not sure! So far they don't leak or stink for us.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#23 of 35 Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 AM

I have tried many many diapers over the years.. these weren't around with my last kiddo, so I picked up a few sized ones (already I am finding they take WAY too long to dry) and was gifted a onesize one.. I don't think I will be a big fan, though.
#24 of 35 Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 AM

I also had no luck with them. They were bulky, leaked, never fit right...just weren't worth it to me. Now a days I'm more of a pre-fold and cover type of person with the occasional pocket or aio. But I did use fuzzi bunz only for my first few years of cloth diapering with very little issues (sometimes the insert would get all bunchy/droopy, otherwise they worked and washed perfectly).

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#25 of 35 Old 05-29-2010, 02:55 AM

I love 'em. they fit my 4 mo ds perfectly from 3 wks old and have just the right ammt of absorbency. After a 3yr break from cd I was so impressed with the quality and fit of BG over pockets that were available when dd1 and 2 were in diapers.

We had a little trouble at first w/washing but seems to be OK now.
#26 of 35 Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 AM

I have one BG, that I got second hand (as I got most of my stash, LOL). I like it, but don't love it. I got it when DD was around the 95th percentile in weight, and is now down to about the 25th percentile. I don't really like how they fit, independently of leaks. They just seem so snug on her.

I did prefer Happy Heiny's, but they always leaked. I prefer FuzziBunz in general, but have favored fitteds and covers lately. I re-stuffed my pockets to give them another whirl yesterday.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#27 of 35 Old 05-29-2010, 09:34 PM

I loved them at first, but I'm starting to loathe them and wish for a stash of just PFs and cute covers. I've replaced the elastic on nearly all of them, including the ones I bought new that had barely over a year of wear in them. I've replaced the velcro on most of them. Right now I've got a stack of 5 AIOs and 1 OS that need elastic and/or velcro replaced. And I've got several that flat out leak. Not out the legs, pee wicks straight through the PUL. Babywearing+leaky dipes = .

I've spent the last few days on ebay and craigslist considering other diapers, but DH says this is the last baby, so I'm hesitant to spend any money on diapers at this point.

Mom to blahblah.gifDD (5/07), diaper.gifDS1 (02/10)h20homebirth.gif and babyboy.gif DS2 (11/11)h20homebirth.gif !

#28 of 35 Old 05-31-2010, 01:06 AM

We love our BG diapers more than any other we've tried. We use the sized AIOs and have no complaints...literally. They fit well, super easy to use, wash up nicely, and when I turn them inside out to dry...they don't take any longer to dry than inserts for pocket diapers. I bought my entire stash using the BOGO coupons in Mothering magazine so I only paid $8/diaper for my entire stash....that's a deal too good to refuse. I've also had really great customer service from Cotton Babies. I know that aplix isn't as good long term as snaps, but I figure for $1/diaper I can get new tabs and elastic....that's worth it to me for the ease of aplix and the custom fit.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#29 of 35 Old 05-31-2010, 01:16 AM

I like them a lot. They keep moisture away from the skin, unlike the prefolds and many fitteds that I tried, so we don't have any diaper rash issues. I haven't had leaks, and they are easy to wash. Mine have also held up very well--I still have some 1.0s in my stash!--and my dh is not intimidated by them.

I know some people will have other diapers that they favor, but I think BG makes a good product.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#30 of 35 Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 PM

I posted awhile ago saying they were just ok. I've changed my stance, they are wonderful! My son has suddenly become a nightmare to change and these go on fast and are really absorbent (like I thought before.) I used to hate velcro, but seriously, it makes changes SO much easier. They are great pocket diapers. Easy to find at stores, good quality, etc. I'm going to try a fuzzibunz, but really, I don't think I'll like it nearly as much as a BG.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page