Diaper covers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little boy (4 months) has an allergy to polyester. I have been using wool diaper covers since he was born but when he started to get eczema I took the wool covers away and the eczema is clearing up. The problem is that I'm not sure what to use as a diaper cover now. I do EC with him and when we are home I'm not worried about it, but when we go out I would like something to put on him. Any suggestions?
#2 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 AM

I have read about some people using acrylic covers for their LO who are allergic to wool. Its not as absorbent as wool but they say it works. I used fleece covers with DD but they don't hold moisture weight so its only as good as what you have under it. I would have to change DD after one pee and she is a huge wetter. You say he is allergic to pollyester... is that the same thing as PUL (polyurethane laminate)? If thats not an option, then there are vinyl and plastic covers out there.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#3 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 AM

Have you tried organic wool? Or I believe it's Disana that's supposed to be so "clean" in comparison with most wools in the US. It may be the chemicals in the wool that he's reacting to and not the wool itself.

Without wool and without poly, that doesn't leave a whole lot of options. Every PUL cover I've seen has poly, fleece covers are poly... that pretty much leaves rubber pants, so far as I know.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Have you tried organic wool? Or I believe it's Disana that's supposed to be so "clean" in comparison with most wools in the US. It may be the chemicals in the wool that he's reacting to and not the wool itself.
Depending on what you're using to lanolize, it could be that as well.

Also, you could try Dappi pull on covers...they're nylon.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#5 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 03:06 PM

I had this issue with my first we ended up going coverless a lot and doing nylon (dappi/bummi whisperpants clotheez no longer made) or 100% cotton covers (nicky)

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#6 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 03:07 PM

We loved the imse vimse covers, and there are also all cotton pull on covers as well.

http://www.diapersetc.com/products/o...per-cover.html

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page