BumGenius Organic AIOs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was looking at the Bum Genius Flips the other day, but now I'm sort of intrigued by the Organic One Size AIOs. Anyone use them? It seems that the biggest complaint about BGs is that the velcro wears...it seems like the snaps on these may make them close to perfect.

Thoughts?

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#2 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 04:56 PM

I love the organic AIO w/snaps. It's not a pocket diaper though... but we have just one that we use when we're out

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#3 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 09:15 PM

We love that they have snaps. The only drawback we've found is that they take longer to dry, so just know that in advance and you'll be golden.
#4 of 17 Old 05-27-2010, 09:48 PM

I love them, but they are expensive and take a long time to dry. They also don't wick away the moisture from the baby as pockets do, and I haven't found them to be good for nights. We use both them and OS FB pockets.
#5 of 17 Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM

If you like AIO's but want a quicker drying time, some like Mommy's Touch have the soaker sewn only on 1 end and on the top of the diaper so that it flaps around in the dryer - takes about the same time to dry as a pocket diaper. Or consider switching to an AI2 - we love our SoftBums!

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#6 of 17 Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 PM

We'd change our entire stash to these ifwe could!

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#7 of 17 Old 05-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliversmommy View Post
I was looking at the Bum Genius Flips the other day, but now I'm sort of intrigued by the Organic One Size AIOs. Anyone use them? It seems that the biggest complaint about BGs is that the velcro wears...it seems like the snaps on these may make them close to perfect.

Thoughts?
It's a really great diaper for average-sized kids (thin or thick thighs will have fit issues b/c of the one-size design.) Again, it won't fit until close to 2 months old. It requires 10+ washes to reach maximum absorbency.

My favorite is the FuzziBunz one-size. It will fit from when their cord falls off, so you don't have to wait 6-8 weeks to use it. The adjustable waist and leg openings mean a perfect fit, and there are a ton of color choices.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#8 of 17 Old 05-29-2010, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
These are my faves! They do take longer to dry but not that much longer especially if you're used to microfiber inserts. They are SO trim and since my little one isn't a super soaker I can use them at night. Nothing to stuff, natural fibers and snaps (I don't use the velcro at all BG velcro is crap). I do think they fit best after a couple of months but I could use them at 10 pounds.
#9 of 17 Old 05-29-2010, 07:05 PM

We just got one for our 4 month old (14lbs) and LOVE it. DD isn't bothered by the wetness, in fast she gets redness when wearing pockets with fleece or suede cloth too much of the time... Very trim, good looking, great fit.

We just bought the new grovia AIO to try because it has a faster drying time. It is very similar in look and feel. Just has hip snaps rather than flaps to snap in front. We are still prepping it so I can't compare function.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#10 of 17 Old 05-29-2010, 07:14 PM

I love the BG organic AIO's with snaps. I prefer them over the BG pockets, for sure.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 17 Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM

Bumping this b/c I have 3 BG organics and I can't figure out why people love them so much. After only a few months of wear, they're stiff and scratchy. Am I doing something wrong? I only wash in Charlies or Country Save and mainly air-dry these but have thrown them in the dryer to see if that helps. It doesn't. I'd like to get more use out of them but they seem too rough to be putting on my little guy's tenderest parts. Help?

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#12 of 17 Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 PM

I  love these diapers! I have a few fuzzibunz also but the bg organics ( aios ) are my favorite. If yours are scratchy it could be they need an extra rinse or something- it kind of sounds like soap residue. I have been using mine since my son was four months old ( skinny baby) and ours are butter soft. We use ecos free and clear, and do a cold wash then a extra hot wash, with an extra rinse. The drying time is a little longer, but they are definitely worth it I think . :) 

dust.gifJesus loving, wife to my sweet love of 11 years luxlove.gifgoorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif,uc.jpg, bf.gif,baby-wearing,familybed1.gif,homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,mama to dd wool.gif , ds1 broc1.gif, ds2 diaper.gif ,ds3 babyf.gif one on the way heartbeat.gif!

#13 of 17 Old 01-04-2011, 07:06 PM

I struggled with stink in my dipes at first because I have an HE front loader. But now here's my routine:

1. Delicate wash to soak them and rinse away some pee and so forth, no spin so they stay good and heavy, thus tricking machine into using more water.

2. Tiny bit of Charlies or Country Save and hot heavy duty wash, rinse, spin.

3. Pour water in to soak everything again, sanitary wash (which is a 2 hour cycle!) on super hot, no detergent.

Since establishing this routine, all of my microfiber inserts which were the main source of the stink have been totally clean post-wash. So it would seem odd to still have soap residue in the BG organics after all of this. And the idea of sending them alone through another hot cycle seems so wasteful. Thanks for your suggestion, though. :(

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#14 of 17 Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

The knit cotton is very dense and can hold onto residue.  BG does allow you to bleach them.  That usually softens them up.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#15 of 17 Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Does anyone have issues with rashes from the waterproof cover?  I am looking at switching back to CD'ing but am concerned with heat sensitive bottom on DS.  Thoughts?  I really like the BG organic AIO's but just concerned with this. 

#16 of 17 Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 PM

I have lots of diapers and those are my favorites!!! My dh and I are arguing over buying more if those or more of the regular BG. I want the Organic

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#17 of 17 Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 PM

I have an he front loader as well- I just mentioned the soap residue because I am freak about stains and used to prescrub them with a tiny bit of detergent and then they would be a bit more stiff after drying- when I realized the sun takes stains out even better I stopped prescrubbing and they went back to being super soft ( they actually still look brand new ) :) Anyway, I dont know anything about Charlies soap cause that is not what I use. As for waste- I guess it might be ( my front loader is energy effecient though) but my son has extremely sensitive skin and I like to make sure everything is super clean so that his bum is comfy. :)

dust.gifJesus loving, wife to my sweet love of 11 years luxlove.gifgoorganic.jpg,saynovax.gif,uc.jpg, bf.gif,baby-wearing,familybed1.gif,homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,mama to dd wool.gif , ds1 broc1.gif, ds2 diaper.gif ,ds3 babyf.gif one on the way heartbeat.gif!

Tags
Bumgenius , Cloth Diapers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page