prefolds , wool covers and ebf poop. How to make it work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm TRYING to find a way to use my lovely wool covers and prefolds without having to handwash the covers every time my baby poos. We have the Bummis organic prefolds as well as some thinner diaper service ones. I've tried a snappi and pins, I've tried different folds, I just can't seem to contain that runny poo. I had the same problem with my first and basically gave up on wool covers until he was on solids. What am I missing? My babe is 3 months and on the long and lean side if that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM

My babe is on the chunkier side at 3 months, and Bummis prefolds still leak - I don't put him in a prefold+wool if I'm anticipating a big poo. I use either a snappied prefold+SWW or a fitted+wool.

I've moved him up to Premium prefolds because he's on the larger side, and the increased bulk helps a bit - but you may find that too bulky if your DS is on the leaner side.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#3 of 12 Old 05-31-2010, 12:56 PM

I too use a premium prefold. I twist the diaper and then fold it down and Snappi it tight. I never get leaks. I'm sorry that you are. Have you thought of using a liner or doubler to increase absorbancy?

jog.gifkid.gif

#4 of 12 Old 05-31-2010, 01:26 PM

If you've tried the different folds, I do think you might want to try a doubler (if you have enough extra wipes you could try out using one or two of those to see if that helps).

If you're just getting some poo on the cover, you might get by with spot washing that off right away with a woolwash bar in the sink (or I'll use old slivers of an olive oil soap) instead of a full wash of the cover.
#5 of 12 Old 05-31-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll try doublers for daytime too although I use them at night and the poo still leaks (not pee though). I don't think my doublers really absorb the poo. I have tried spot washing the covers but not with a wool wash soap. That ebf poo is soooo yellow. It's like turmeric!
#6 of 12 Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm with you on the frustration. I actually took a break from wool due to the frustration of my covers always.being.wet! I got a few thirsties covers off DS and have been using wool ONLY after he poops, so thankfully I haven't had to wash my wool in a while. I also have found that we have more blowouts when he's on the outer limits of the PF, if there's more fabric on the legs, there's more distance it has to travel before it gets to the cover, if that makes sense.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#7 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 AM

Which folds have you tried?

With my skinny little guy, the angel wing fold and the bikini twist wound up being the best for containing those runny poos. But sometimes I'd have to Snappi him twice to get it tight enough around the legs. If you have even the slightest looseness/gapping around the leg, it will leak. Honestly, I get more leaks from ill-fitting fitteds than I did from PFs.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Two wool covers at the ready. One on babe that will airdry and one to replace the airdry one.

To fold the prefold (I don't know fold names).

You can use one size up for a higher rise in the back (I use a larger size for me girl and fold the back down to get the rise that I want and have more overlap at the clipping points).

Lay out flat under baby.
ROLL in the bottom two side (not fold) for better poo containment.
Bring up the bottom and flair out over belly.
Snappy as normal.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#9 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 09:50 AM

I spot wash mine with a wool saop bar almost everytime DS poos. I have a few pul covers in case everything else is drying. Its a pain and it stains every time no matter how fast I wash it out but its ok.
#10 of 12 Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

2 snappies is a good idea. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried soft elastic cuffs? I was thinking of making some to put round her thighs over the prefold. I will also get some wool bar soap (not sure from where, never seen it). I haven't tried the bikini twist as it didn't look like it had poo containing properties but I will now!

Thanks everyone!
#11 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#12 of 12 Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM

My absolute favorite for runny poo (and well, honestly, always) is the jellyroll fold. I don't actually roll since I'm lazy but I fold in a few times. Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page