What's your newborn dream stash? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DF and I are expecting our first child in January after nearly a year of trying.

I've known for years that when I had children I wanted to have home births, cloth diapers, exclusively breastfeed, etc..

Problem is, I don't have the first clue what is actually appropriate for infants, cloth-wise. We both have well-paying jobs, so money is not really a concern here (we're incredibly lucky, I know) and I consider diapers to be a major investment for us so I'm willing to spend as much as I need to.

If you could have any kind of stash for the newborn and then the first year or so - no money or washing concerns - what would you chose? Diapers, covers, inserts, fasteners - everything. I'm clueless here.

The only thing I know so far is that I absolutely don't want to use Snappis.

Thanks!
#2 of 62 Old 06-03-2010, 05:24 PM

If money were no issue, I would probably have an entire stash of El Bee's. I had one (or two) with ds#3 (finally scored a couple used) and LOVED them. They are trim and amazingly well made. And they are costly; so much so that I don't think this new babe will be wearing any. I'd probably cover them in wool (I love wool - felted, interlock, knit), but I also love the simplicity and trimness of both Imse Vimse covers and MotherEase AirFlow covers. That's what I would do ... a huge stash of El Bee's covered in either trim PUL-based covers or wonderful wool.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 62 Old 06-03-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
If money were no issue, I would probably have an entire stash of El Bee's. I had one (or two) with ds#3 (finally scored a couple used) and LOVED them. They are trim and amazingly well made. And they are costly; so much so that I don't think this new babe will be wearing any. I'd probably cover them in wool (I love wool - felted, interlock, knit), but I also love the simplicity and trimness of both Imse Vimse covers and MotherEase AirFlow covers. That's what I would do ... a huge stash of El Bee's covered in either trim PUL-based covers or wonderful wool.
I'd never even heard of El Bee Diapers until I read your post, but I checked them out and while they look good the shop is pretty much completely out. I'll keep an eye out on them since I'm not due until January.

What kind of wool covers would you use with these/a different kind of diaper? I'm attracted to the Aristocrats Wool Soakers, but those are definitely more of a night-time thing, right?
#4 of 62 Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedfire View Post
If you could have any kind of stash for the newborn and then the first year or so - no money or washing concerns - what would you chose? Diapers, covers, inserts, fasteners - everything. I'm clueless here.

The only thing I know so far is that I absolutely don't want to use Snappis.

Thanks!
What I'd look for is sized fitted diapers -- not one-size or all-in-ones -- if you're planning on reusing them. This way, the fit is better and involves less hassle, and they won't be worn out with just one or two kids. Also, natural fibers -- cotton and/or hemp. I am just not that impressed by the super absorbent new synthetics. My nearly new BG AIO is stinky, after washes that make my prefolds smell fresh and clean.

They aren't super duper premium diapers, but I really like mother-ease. They're made well, work well, and have stood the test of time. I'm sure someone else can suggest something with cuter fabrics ... maybe an etsy seller?
#5 of 62 Old 06-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
What I'd look for is sized fitted diapers -- not one-size or all-in-ones -- if you're planning on reusing them. This way, the fit is better and involves less hassle, and they won't be worn out with just one or two kids. Also, natural fibers -- cotton and/or hemp. I am just not that impressed by the super absorbent new synthetics. My nearly new BG AIO is stinky, after washes that make my prefolds smell fresh and clean.

They aren't super duper premium diapers, but I really like mother-ease. They're made well, work well, and have stood the test of time. I'm sure someone else can suggest something with cuter fabrics ... maybe an etsy seller?
What she said! I am in love with fitted and covers! I also like wool, if you knit I would recommend knitting up a few covers. or someone could for you! I like a wrap style cover myself so I got a great pattern for a knit wrap. It helped me heal from my m/c.

Big Momma
#6 of 62 Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigfam View Post
What she said! I am in love with fitted and covers! I also like wool, if you knit I would recommend knitting up a few covers. or someone could for you! I like a wrap style cover myself so I got a great pattern for a knit wrap. It helped me heal from my m/c.

Big Momma
I don't knit. I am not "crafty" in the least. Too many years spent in libraries, I think.

Any recommendations on wrap wool covers I could buy?
#7 of 62 Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 PM

I'm a fan of prefolds or fitteds with covers for newborns, then pockets/AIOs/hybrid dipes once babe is mobile.

So, my dream newborn stash would be:
newborn and small Clover fitteds, orange and yellow edge GMD prefolds, Imse Vimse organic covers and lots of wool soakers

Then after that, I'd probably want a ton of Best Bottoms, Fuzzi Bunz perfect size, Blueberry velour pockets and some Starbunz thrown in for cuteness.
#8 of 62 Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I don't knit. I am not "crafty" in the least. Too many years spent in libraries, I think.

Any recommendations on wrap wool covers I could buy?
You can buy handknit wool longies and shorties and pull-on covers on etsy. Some of them are just beautiful!

Imse Vimse & biobottoms felted wool wraps are nice.
#9 of 62 Old 06-05-2010, 02:46 PM

wow! those El Bee's are amazingly beautiful. i want to wear one as a hat!!!!

I'm not even pregnant yet but have used a lot of cloth as as nanny... although, admittedly mostly prefolds (w/ snappies) which are fine and easy but also probably not what we'll use once we do have a baby.

I've really looked into motherease both the one sizes and the sandy's. Actually we're in Austria now, but there is a brand here that is identical apart from the cool new colors ME is making them in. I know a few people who have LOVED them, both styles... and have read mostly great/raving reviews of them online.

Other things I've considered are kissaluvs... especially the newborn hemp ones. and their liners look nice and trim. I've hear their wool soakers are similar to aristocrats.

I know some love the ME covers, and I've never used them but I've seen them on a baby and didn't they they looked very comfortable (or cute) but I do really like the Imse Vimse covers (the soft ones). I think they also have a wool one.

I'm also really looking forward to trying wool soakers.

also I used to live in nyc and i think you should make a trip to Metro Minis on the UES. They have a lot of cloth diapers and are really nice/helpful and also classes and mom/baby groups too.

I've also used fuzzibunz. I liked the old style better but the new style is fine. still wouldn't stock up on them personally.

good luck : ) all of my suggestions are based on having changed a lot of babies, having used a few different kinds of diaper systems and also reading reviews about what people have loved... I'm curious to hear what you decide on...
#10 of 62 Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Oh...Lil' Joey's by Rumparooz for a diaper bag/easy change stash, I'd love a dozen of those, 2 dozen prefolds and some covers and another dozen of the tiniest fitteds you can find with some wool for overnights.

Now I want to go buy more newborn diapers even though I keep telling DH I'm done.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#11 of 62 Old 06-05-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Right now I'm leaning towards NB size organic cotton/hemp Kissaluvs, some prefolds, Imse Vimse wool wrap covers, Aristocrats soakers, maybe some Disana wool wraps. This stuff is all for the newborn period. I figure when the babe gets older I'll get a bunch of really nice, pretty AIOs.

Follow-up questions:

1. I'm thinking of either Kushies or Bummis for prefolds? I know the Bummis I'm looking at are organic, but I can't find any reliable information on whether or not the Kushies are. They look a little too . . . . bleached to be organic, but who knows? Not me.

2. Are Gerber diaper pins any good? Like I said, I don't want to use Snappis and the Gerber are the only kind of pins I can find that come all the same color (a little OCD-thing for me).
#12 of 62 Old 06-05-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Follow-up questions:

1. I'm thinking of either Kushies or Bummis for prefolds? I know the Bummis I'm looking at are organic, but I can't find any reliable information on whether or not the Kushies are. They look a little too . . . . bleached to be organic, but who knows? Not me.

2. Are Gerber diaper pins any good? Like I said, I don't want to use Snappis and the Gerber are the only kind of pins I can find that come all the same color (a little OCD-thing for me).
1. I would recommend the GMD (technically Cloth-Eez) prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers. They have regular, unbleached, and organic and are supposed to be the softest out there. Plus they have a great range of sizes.

2. Gerber pins are not good. You want something like the Dritz pins or the good metal head diaper pins.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#13 of 62 Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 AM

Diapers:
Organic GMD prefolds for sure! They are the best! I still use the orange edge as doublers
Megaroos extended tab prefolds... you get to pick such fun prints! These fit great and are oh so soft!!
Sustainablebabyish fitteds, super soft and squishy! We love the sized fitteds and the one sized snappless
Little Boppers fitteds- great soft squishy diapers!

Wool:
Royal buns
Wild Child Woolies
Sustainablebabyish
I'd also search hyena cart for knit longies and soakers, lots to choose from! Beautiful stuff!

Give a snappi a try, you may be surprised to find you like it. I love our snappis! DH is great with a snappi but won't pin to save his life.

Have fun shopping and Congratulations Mama!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#14 of 62 Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Banned

I'll second the GMD pre-folds. Mine have tons of life left after two kids and they are very soft. You can probably skip from the red edge to the brown edge without too much of a problem, and my kids never stayed in the newborn sized diapers for more than a few weeks, so you could probably skip taht one too.

I like the Bummis covers a lot, but admitedly, do not know that much about covers, etc.
#15 of 62 Old 06-06-2010, 10:37 AM

I have cloth diapered 2 babies from birth and I feel really, REALLY strongly about fitted diapers for newborns. Flats and prefolds are too complicated for me the first two weeks, and pockets and AIO's leak newborn poop in the middle of the night. Fitteds are the only diapers that are easy enough to use, fit well, and hold everything in. We used Kissaluvs 0 for both of our babies, but if I were doing it over again I would probably buy the infant fitteds from Green Mountain Diapers or something else cheaper than Kissaluvs that does the same job. It's only the first few weeks of the baby's life that I feel this way, but time does weird things when you've just had a baby and can make three weeks feel like fifteen years.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#16 of 62 Old 06-06-2010, 03:18 PM

id do half gmd nb prefolds (orange edge, right?) with tons of thirsties size 1 duo wraps. i say tons because nb poo always got on the cover when dd2 was born and it seemed like we never had enough covers (i think we had 6 or 8?). i'd also throw in some wool wrap style covers (any wool is fine, i just prefer wraps) to help air the bum out when it gets red. dd2 was a constant pooper and often had a red bum.

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#17 of 62 Old 06-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I would try some of everything in the newborn phase to see what you like, b/c everyone has different tastes and preferences, and that's what makes horse races. :-)

I own a diaper store so I don't have a diaper budget, either, and this is what I have/like for the NB phase:

Fitteds: Kissaluvs size 0, Goodmamas newborns, Loveybums, sustainablebabyish.

Prefolds: Thirsties hemp PFs, orange edge GMDs, Bummis organic infant

(I really think you should rethink the Snappi thing - they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than pins. What's your issue with Snappis?)

Covers: Bummis, Thirsties, GEN-Y (esp. the Minkee), Loveybums wool.

Pockets/AIOs: XS FuzziBunz, Bummis TinyFits, Lil Joeys.

For older kids, I really like the FuzziBunz one-size pockets - simple for everyone to use, fit every size and shape baby, trim, and high-quality.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#18 of 62 Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
I would try some of everything in the newborn phase to see what you like, b/c everyone has different tastes and preferences, and that's what makes horse races. :-)

I own a diaper store so I don't have a diaper budget, either, and this is what I have/like for the NB phase:

Fitteds: Kissaluvs size 0, Goodmamas newborns, Loveybums, sustainablebabyish.

Prefolds: Thirsties hemp PFs, orange edge GMDs, Bummis organic infant

(I really think you should rethink the Snappi thing - they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than pins. What's your issue with Snappis?)

Covers: Bummis, Thirsties, GEN-Y (esp. the Minkee), Loveybums wool.

Pockets/AIOs: XS FuzziBunz, Bummis TinyFits, Lil Joeys.

For older kids, I really like the FuzziBunz one-size pockets - simple for everyone to use, fit every size and shape baby, trim, and high-quality.
Wow, a professional. I'm honored.

Kissaluvs are really what I'm leaning towards, with some GMD perfolds (probably a few orange and a whole ton of green) for variety.

Getting one or two of all different kinds is a great idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Wow, that's a major baby brain moment there.

My Snappi thing is from when I baby-sat a friend's little girl (she was about 8-months-old at the time) and the Snappi gouged the !@#$ out of my hand - right in the webbing between my thumb and my index finger. Four stitches. No joke. So there will be no Snappis in my house.

I'm really liking the idea of wool, at least in the beginning (babe is due in January and we live in Brooklyn), but Thirsties covers are what I was thinking about for when the baby's a little bit older, before the transition to AIOs.

Would you mind very much if I asked you questions every so often? I'm kind of a perfectionist and I want everything to be "just right," whatever that is. I promise not to bother you too much.
#19 of 62 Old 06-08-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
1. I would recommend the GMD (technically Cloth-Eez) prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers. They have regular, unbleached, and organic and are supposed to be the softest out there. Plus they have a great range of sizes.
I used Bummis and UTN prefolds during the NB stage, and just now at 8 mos bought red edge organic GMD pfs... so far I'm not impressed. The Bummis and the UTN BOTH had thicker center pads, and absorbed way more. I sized up because we had outgrown the absorbency, and I should have saved my money. The GMD organic red edges are no more absorbent than the Bummis infant.

Quote:
Getting one or two of all different kinds is a great idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Wow, that's a major baby brain moment there.

My Snappi thing is from when I baby-sat a friend's little girl (she was about 8-months-old at the time) and the Snappi gouged the !@#$ out of my hand - right in the webbing between my thumb and my index finger. Four stitches. No joke. So there will be no Snappis in my house.
The Snappi design has changed over the last few years. They used to have a single metal(?) hook on each tab - but now they have a set of plastic teeth. The old ones scared me too, but these ones I'm perfectly happy with - and I've even let the baby play with it.

As for one or two of each, that's what I did. I bought a few of each on DS to find what I loved. Now I have a PILE of dipes I'm selling, but I have a pile that I'm keeping, too. And honestly, my absolutely favorite fitted is Dream-eze. I have a dozen of them in his current size and they're definitely the first thing we both reach for. I'm thinking of selling all the rest of his daytime dipes at this point.

And wool - there are all sorts of brands and styles. We use a lot of soakers/shorties/longies. Mostly Kozy Wool, which we buy through a coop for under $20/pair. I have a few pairs that were hand-knit through a swap, and a few that I knit myself (I learned to knit just so I could do that). For wool wraps, I have SugarPeas and some from Piper's Closet (a WAHM). The SP really don't give good coverage over any brand other than their own. But the Piper's Closet I love - in fact I just PM'd her yesterday to make me some more in a custom size because my little guy is so skinny. I don't have any interlock other than wraps yet - the prices are just a tad high for my taste, considering how quickly his legs are growing.

As for PUL covers, I don't like "wipe clean" inners. I do like the Imse Vimse organic cotton ones, and particularly like their leg gussets, but size-wise they run quite big on my guy (he was still wearing a small at 6 mos). We use a Mommy's Touch OS cover at night since he wears OS dipes at night and we needed the taller rise, and I really like those.

My suggestion would be to determine your criteria. You don't want to do Snappis, then you probably want to avoid PFs. Do you like snaps or velcro? Fitted, AIO or pocket? Sized or OS? Synthetics or natural fibers? etc... For myself, I chose fitteds, snaps, sized, natural, organic. And that's what we went with. I've had to compromise on a few things - the night-time dipes we like are Aplix (velcro), and we use fleece liners in his night-time dipe now that I'm not changing him at night any more. You also need to be able to listen to the babe and change gears if necessary. Some babes are sensitive to synthetics, some are sensitive to feeling even slightly damp. Some babes are hard-to-fit with front snaps or Aplix (like my guy), so only side snaps work well. So deciding on what dipe you're going to buy now before the babe arrives can get a little tricky... which is why I bought a little bit of everything.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#20 of 62 Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 AM

For newborns, I'm perfectly happy with some nice prefolds, pins (I love the classic old school look and I have some awesome all metal locking head ones) and wool covers. It is simple, straight to the point and cheap. At that age, they can't try to run away for a diaper change so folding is no issue and the prefolds can have some added cute fabric to make them more adorable if I need something particularly cute on top of the amazingness that is a newborn.

For after that teeny stage, I like OS snappiable/pinnable fitteds (like BSRB, raven tree, NRSS etc) with, again, wool covers. I also like to fill in the gaps with prefolds. I like to use snappi's more at this age though because they start to wriggle and roll more. I'm not the best with pins as much as I love them so snappis are faster and give better results on the whole... much more necessary once they start crawling and cruising. It is true though, snappi's now probably won't cause need for 4 stitches. I let my kiddo play with them for a bit to distract her if necessary (usually when I'm changing her haha)

I do like to have a few snapping sized fittends on hand as well for the easier use while coverless and during the stages where the behbeh fights diaper changes like crazy as well as for babysitters/family/anyone that isn't me specifically haha to use more easily.

Wool is the number one favorite thing though. I don't like PUL much although I'm down for a few thirsties covers, but wool makes me smile. Interlock, knitted, pull on pants/shorts, wrap style... I like wool. It is breathable and works well. Also, it is natural and I just generally gravitate towards more natural options. I'm not a fan of synthetic materials for the most part. Ultimately, I don't care about the diaper underneath the cover that much because we have not had any problems with any of the numerous brands I have tried other than maybe needing to change more often... which really isn't that horrible in my opinion but the cover can make or break me. If the cover doesn't work right, then that just ruins things for me haha
#21 of 62 Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Wow, Cristeen. You're awesome for going into so much depth for me. Thanks!

I'm cool with pins, practicality-wise and aesthetically, I love pins. I was a nanny in grad school and the baby daughter of the family I worked for was cloth diapered - with pins. She wasn't my "charge," so to speak, but she was just so darn adorable that I didn't mind helping out when and where I could.

Also, even if they've changed their design I'm still wary. Every time I read or hear the word Snappi I have PTSD-like flashbacks.

(Off-topic: I met the couple I worked for through a support group for lupus - the mother suffered from the disease as well as me. Their oldest child had down syndrome, and they were looking for someone to watch him a few days out of the week. I loved that kid. Working wasn't work - I always told people that I was basically getting paid to play. When I left London for Cambridge leaving him - and his family - was harder than leaving my then-boyfriend. I still send the whole family birthday and Christmas presents and visit whenever I go back to the UK, which isn't nearly as often as I like. I never wanted to have kids - my own screwed up childhood was to blame for that - but he changed it all for me. I'm still the only person he'll talk to on the phone, other than his parents. I'm sorry for going on like this, but I can't help it when I think about that time. He saved me from a pretty horrible state of mind. Outside of my family, he's the first person I ever loved more than myself. I still feel it today. It's enduring, and I credit him for helping to make me the person I am today and leading me to the amazing life I have now. Without him, I very much doubt I'd be where I am now.)

Okay . . . back on topic!

Determine my criteria? Okay, here goes:
  1. I want as much organic as possible. That's absolutely my #1 concern in nearly everything, especially here.
  2. How much noise does the velcro make? If it doesn't wake the baby, then velcro or snaps, it doesn't really matter to me.
  3. For the newborn period, Juliacat pretty much persuaded me for fitted diapers. I'll be breastfeeding and co-sleeping so easy is the goal there.
  4. Sized, probably. We definitely want more than one child (I'd like half a dozen but I'm almost thirty, so we'll see) and if all goes well that's the plan. Someone above mentioned that going with sized instead of OS will help increase the life-span of the diapers, so that's what I'm going with on this one.

treeoflife3 - I'm really, really attracted to wool, too. I, myself, have a cashmere thing, inherited from my Mom.

The Aristocrats just look so . . . pretty to me. Anyone have any experience with them? Are there any other wool soakers that are just plain better? I want what works best, even if it's not the best looking. I'll sacrifice if need be.
#22 of 62 Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

The Aristocrats just look so . . . pretty to me. Anyone have any experience with them? Are there any other wool soakers that are just plain better? I want what works best, even if it's not the best looking. I'll sacrifice if need be.
I didn't like them - not soft enough. I much prefer sustainablebabyish soakers.

Quote:
Wow, a professional. I'm honored.

Would you mind very much if I asked you questions every so often? I'm kind of a perfectionist and I want everything to be "just right," whatever that is. I promise not to bother you too much.
No need to be honored!

The Snappi thing is scary, but if you have no problems with pins, then cool!

Ask away - I'm here.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#23 of 62 Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Organics - there are a ton of them out there now. I also have a lot of hemp, which is not usually certified but does not need pesticides. Unfortunately, sometimes its blended w conventional cotton and sometimes organic. I can give a run down of the organic brands weve tried if you like, but it will have to wait until im not typing on my ipod.

Snaps vs aplix - many dads prefer aplix because its easier, but my DH hates it because its harder to get a good solid fit, particularly if your little is skinny-legged. We had many a leak with our night-time dipes until we figured that out. It also tends to tangle in the wash and is often the first part of a dipe to wear out. Ive had to convert at least 1 aplix dipe to snaps because of failing aplix. Obvioisly my recommendation is for pins or snaps. And like i said above, front snaps just dont work for us, so now i try to stick w side snaps, which are oddly scarce.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#24 of 62 Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM

really helpful thread...subbing.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#25 of 62 Old 06-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Organics - there are a ton of them out there now. I also have a lot of hemp, which is not usually certified but does not need pesticides. Unfortunately, sometimes its blended w conventional cotton and sometimes organic. I can give a run down of the organic brands weve tried if you like, but it will have to wait until im not typing on my ipod.

Snaps vs aplix - many dads prefer aplix because its easier, but my DH hates it because its harder to get a good solid fit, particularly if your little is skinny-legged. We had many a leak with our night-time dipes until we figured that out. It also tends to tangle in the wash and is often the first part of a dipe to wear out. Ive had to convert at least 1 aplix dipe to snaps because of failing aplix. Obvioisly my recommendation is for pins or snaps. And like i said above, front snaps just dont work for us, so now i try to stick w side snaps, which are oddly scarce.
Yeah, we have all the same problems with aplix. I can't stand the stuff. It is really only good on my little one if she is right between two snap settings but usually the tighter setting is just fine and doesn't bother her anyway. It is why I prefer pinnable diapers though. Just easier. I didn't find aplix to be too loud, but it definitely wears out fast no matter how much you make sure they are on the laundry tabs.

Side snaps are AWFUL on my little one, but a friend of mine also prefers them. Her kiddos have big bellies and mine is skinny other than her thighs. I can't get a tight waist fit usually with side snapping. It really definitely comes down to the baby's body.
#26 of 62 Old 06-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post
Side snaps are AWFUL on my little one, but a friend of mine also prefers them. Her kiddos have big bellies and mine is skinny other than her thighs. I can't get a tight waist fit usually with side snapping. It really definitely comes down to the baby's body.
See, that's interesting. My guy is super skinny, with skinny legs too. They're either on the same snap setting (top and bottom), or the top is one tighter than the legs. With front snaps, unless they have really good elastic in the legs (pulled tight), even snapped as tight as I can get it across the belly, it's loose around the legs. Dipes that everyone else loves like BSRB just don't work for us.

#27 of 62 Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I didn't like them - not soft enough. I much prefer sustainablebabyish soakers.
Well, those are just all kinds of pretty, aren't very? I think I'm in love.

Quote:
No need to be honored!

The Snappi thing is scary, but if you have no problems with pins, then cool!

Ask away - I'm here.
Yeah, I'm cool with pins, no problem and thanks so much! Crazy type-A, first-time mom here, so I'm focused on perfect right now, even though I know there is no such thing.

Quote:
That would be wonderful. Thank you!
#28 of 62 Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
That would be wonderful. Thank you!
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Apple Bottom Baby - these were some of our NB dipes. The fit for a really long time, and were really nice and trim through the crotch, but could only hold one pee.
Baby Beehinds - This was a OS dipe, front snapping. Works well, nice and absorbent, but front snaps don't work for us. In the sell pile.
Bummis Prefold - We used these for 8 mos, and will keep using them as stuffers. They're great.
Clover - Their fitteds are really nice, although the lay in doubler is a little fiddly and a little thin. I love their buttonhole elastic though. I also have some of their tie dipes, and that's our night-time dipe right now.
Cuddlebuns - This was a OS dipe that I've since sold. Too thin to be much good and front snapping. Sold it.
Disana Tie Nappy - Love these. They're a bit fiddly for some people, but we used them as a night time dipe for a long time. My guy just won't lay still for them right now.
Dream-Eze - my fave. I have half a dozen in Sm, a dozen in Med (what he's wearing now) and 9 in Lg, even though he may never need lgs.
Earth Mom & Baby - Their Bumboo OS dipe. Not so OS. Says it fits from 12 pounds, but my 22 pounder didn't fit in it. Their snap arrangement needs work (and I have informed them of this). Really soft and cushy, but I used them twice and sold them.
Firefly - They have a good reputation, but they're just too thin for us.
Goodmama - Love em. Even though they're front snapping (or I just bought some no fasteners ones that arrived in today's mail). Cushy and absorbent. With an additional doubler I've used these for a night-time dipe.
Growing Green - Soft and lovely, but way too thin for a OS dipe. And their snap-in doubler arrangement is a bit weird. Even for daytime wear I have to add a doubler. And on my 8 mo, we don't get a very good fit - it's way too big in the leg and we have wing droop. This is one I want to love, but I just don't.
Happy Hempy - These are a beautiful night-time dipe. They're pocket fitteds, these are the ones with Aplix. We used them for months in the sm size, and I just got the Med ones in the mail yesterday. You can get them in all hemp/cotton or you can get them with a fleece inner (stay-dry). In the sm I got the all hemp, but in the Med I got the fleece inner, since I've been having to line them with fleece anyway. The smalls are in the sell pile.
Imse Vimse Muslin Flats - This is what I'm stuffing our night-time dipes with. Beautifully absorbent.
Jam-Tots - These were a pin dipe, a pocket fitted. Love the style, but couldn't get a good fit around the legs and I suck at pins. In the sell pile.
Little Beetle - good and bad here. I love the Hemp Originals. With the extra doubler, they're great 2 hour dipes. Not so fond of the front snaps, so I converted 3 no fasteners and 1 aplix to side snapping. At 8 mos he's still wearing the size 1 (small). I also have one of their OS dipes, which I bought new and it developed holes within 6 weeks. In addition, they have the same problem as the Bumboo dipes - bad snap placement for an uber-skinny babe.
Lovey-Bum - Loved these in the NB/Sm size. He's in the Med right now and not really feeling the love. They're a bit thin for him - 1 pee soaks them. And they're front snapping. I can get a good fit around his legs with 1 of them, which is a stretchy fabric, but the other 3 don't have the stretch, so I'm risking a blow-out.
Pipers Closet - Lovely dipes, hemp fleece. Great leg elastic even though they're front snappers. I did have to add an extra snap to each wing to prevent wing droop. The internal soaker paired with the front snap though was too much for me. They saw a lot of use when he was between sizes, but once he grew into his Meds, they went into the "sell" pile.
Red Edge Pfs - Not feeling the GMD love with these. They're thinner and not nearly as absorbent as my Bummis PFs.
SNB Etc - These were my favorite dipes when he was a NB. Soft and cushy, very absorbent. They were the first thing I reached for. Too bad it was a WAHM that went out of business.
Sugar Peas Fitted - This was an old style I got. But they went almost immediately into the sell pile. The leg holes were cut for much larger thighs and even on the tightest snap setting we had blowouts. Sold these.
Sugar Peas Snap-in - These I really liked when he was a Sm. Now not so much. It's an AI2 with a wool wrap cover and a snap-in dipe. I think I have about 5 of the covers and 4 of the dipes. He still fits into a Sm, but the absorbency just isn't there any more (he's a big pee-er).
Sugar Plum Baby - I like these. They're cute, they're trim, they're a WAHM. But they're one-pee dipes. And he's still in a Sm on the smallest snap setting at 8 mos.
Sustainable Babyish - love the pin dipe, it's a OS. I use it for night-times or long car rides a lot. My DH won't go near it though.
Swaddlebees Fitteds - These had the same problem as the Sugar Peas Fitteds... too large leg openings. In the sell pile.
Swaddlebees Pocket Fitteds - These I love. Unfortunately they've been discontinued. Uber soft cotton velour, completely customizable. He's been wearing them since his first days, and is still in the Smalls.
Tiny Birds - These were a great night-time dipe for a long time. Super thick and absorbent. The leg elastic was not as resilient as I would have liked, though... I had to really get it tight on the tummy to get the legs tight, it just didn't have much give in the legs. This was one of those dipes that always came out of the dryer still damp.
Under the Nile Prefold - Love em. They're nice and stretchy. They're by far the smallest of all my PFs. I can't seem to find any of the larger sized ones now, I can only find the infant ones, so I can't size up.
Valor Kids - loved em for a long time. But anymore they're not absorbent enough.
WillowSprouts Prefold - he can pee right through it (to hit the floor). We use it as a burp cloth.
Muttaquin 3SR - soft and squishy, great absorbency, but fiddly to put on. In the sell pile.
BSRB - Beautiful and absorbent, too large leg openings.
Bububebe - Love em. Great night-time dipe. Bulky with all the doublers snapped in, but most night-time dipes are.
Bella Bottom - Ugh. Thin with a sewn in doubler, supposedly a OS, but wouldn't stop a pee from a crawler, much less a toddler. Front snapping to boot. In the sell pile.

Something to keep in mind as you're choosing dipes. Hemp is really nice and cushy silky soft at first, but after a while it gets crunchy. That's why I'm selling my Happy Hempys in Sm instead of keeping them for the next babe, they're a bit too crunchy for my taste. And to compare them after months of use to my brand new Meds, it's really apparent how crunchy the fabric gets (not just that brand, all the hemp dipes do it).

I'll also say though that my guy seems to wear Smalls a lot longer than the average kid. At 8 mos he's still wearing a mix of Sm and Meds. He'd still fit into many of our smalls if I hadn't moved him up because of absorbency issues (his Med Dream-Eze are just now getting a good tight fit in the leg). So they were used longer and saw a lot more wear than most people expect them to. And, most of my dipes were bought used to begin with.

#29 of 62 Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 AM

Just to add on to the wool choices...

My favorite night time cover is the disana. I find it to be the softest! We don't wear it during the day because its pretty bulky but I wouldn't give that thing up for anything. Totally bullet proof! I'm always sad when I wash it and I have to choose another cover at night while it dries.

I have a lot of Sbish too, both soakers and karate pants. Love them but the softness and thickness of the wool varies from batch to batch as does the sizing... by a lot in some cases which is super annoying. The colors of course are TDF though!

One which I haven't tried yet but have heard great things about is the kissaluvs wool lover. Supposed to be uber soft and give a great fit.

And I do like my aristocrats, especially the longies for PJ bottoms. Nice under newborn gowns. So yummy!

This thread has me wanting a newborn!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#30 of 62 Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Cristeen, I am ever so slowly working my way through your amazing post. Wow. Thank you ever so much. I just can't say that enough. I'm beyond stunned here. You're incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post
This thread has me wanting a newborn!
I can't wait for mine!

BTW, I LOVE the name Fiona! Great taste, mama!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page