Disana tie-on dipes: Will they ever absorb? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently purchased a 3-pack of Disana tie-on diapers. They are 100% cotton - unbleached (I assume, based on the tan color). I washed and dried them a couple of times, but they still completely repelled water. I then boiled them for 20 minutes with a squirt of Dawn, did a bunch of rinses and dried them. They absorbed a very small amount of water (reluctantly...much beading up) after that. Another 20 minute round of boiling with a little more Dawn...rinse rinse rinse dry. Same result! What the heck?! Is this some sort of cotton from outer space that refuses to absorb liquid? I've never met a diaper so reluctant to be prepped!

Any one else have this experience with these diapers? I know they're not a popular brand/type of diaper, but if there's anyone out there who actually got these suckers to absorb I'd like to know how you did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Hi mama,

The tie diapers aren't meant to absorb themselves particularly; you should put a prefold or something in the middle before tying them on. However, they should at least let liquid through very quickly! I got my only one second hand, so I can't say for sure what sort of prep it takes. I'd consider calling the store you got it from and seeing if they've heard of this happening before.

Best wishes!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 PM

They're not like other dipes. The pp was correct, they're meant to be stuffed. I honestly don't know what mine would do with water, but when they're properly stuffed we go coverless during the day because it takes a LOT of pee for them to feel damp on the outside.

At this point i'd say just go ahead and use them stuffed with a PF.

I'll also say though that i've never seen a pic of them being used properly by any of the places that sell them. If you put them on that loosely you'll have poo everywhere. There's a trick to getting them on right and once you have it, you're good. If you need a cover, i suggest wool shorts or pants. A PUL cover won't fit.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 06-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Cristeen, is this a decent fit? http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/org...tie_nappy.html

I've put these Sweet Pea one-size covers over the top with no problem before: http://www.tinybirdsorganicbabytoys....e-Diaper-Cover

Well, no problem except that she always poops in them. But the covers stay clean!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:38 PM

Yeah, thats a much better picture than most. Usually the legs are really loose, which wont hold the poo in.

I honestly haven't tried using a OS cover over it, but a sized cover is a joke, there's all these bits sticking out. . That's why i prefer shorts or pants, its easier to get full coverage. But like i said before, we mostly go coverless with them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

User Tag List