baby girl adhesions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-04-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd is 6 months old. At her well baby check up a week ago, the doctor discovered she has a labial adhesion, closing her vagina. She said that that's not a concern unless they get worse and the skin over the urethra fuses, and she told me to give baby extra air time for her bottom and use Aquaphor on her during diaper changes.

Could cd's be contributing to this problem? We change dd regularly. Her diapers occasionally get soaked through, but it's rare that she would sit for much time if they do. Also, how much naked bottom time is enough? Frankly, I feel like we're always moving around here, so 15 minutes is about all she gets at a stretch. I'm thinking that in the grand scheme of things, those few minutes are not going to do much for her. Anything else I could do to help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5892,00.html

and

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5849,00.html

What I got from this is change frequently. I'd recommend cover free time too so you know right when she pees and can change immediatley.
No treatment is best at this point as treatment may cause reoccurrence
Sleep nudee with a H2Oproof pad underneath to increast naked time.

And based on my reading and what my girl looks like, I am going to be keeping and eye out for it too.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#3 of 5 Old 06-06-2010, 02:35 AM

DD had a pretty severe labial adhesion - it was all the way fused all the way up to a very small hole for her pee to come out, poor girl! If it's not that thick of an adhesion, then you can try rubbing olive oil on it at every diaper changed, pressing firmly to try and open it yourself - the olive oil will help it from adhering more. If it's a thicker adhesion (like you can't see where the labia has adhered - it will just look like skin with no line) then you can always ask your doc to prescribe some estrogen cream. I tried the olive oil, but my DD's was pretty thick and it didn't work on hers. It did however work for her cousin who had one that was less severe. I ended up asking for the estrogen cream because she was constantly smelling like woman (for lack of a better term) and I was afraid that she would inadvertantly come down with a UTI or yeast infection from getting bacteria trapped. The doc prescribed once a day for 7 days, but at 7 days, it looked a little better, and I had read it could take up to 2 weeks, so I continued it and at 10 days, it unadhered on its own. Apparently little girls don't start making that much estrogen until 3-5 years old, so it is a temporary thing that will eventually go away usually if you would prefer not do to anything about it.

Hope that helps!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#4 of 5 Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 PM

My DD had minor labial as a young baby. We were in sposies at the time, but her pedi recommended applying -gentle- pressure and petroleum jelly at each diaper change. She never seemed to mind, and the adhesions cleared up quickly. If it hadn't worked, we'd have considered estrogen cream.

Of course, in cloth diapers I'd have used a fleece liner to keep the vaseline from causing repelling problems.
#5 of 5 Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM

My DD had this as a young baby, but by 10 months or so it had resolved itself. I used disposibles the entire time, if that matters.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page