Mothering Forum banner

Thirsties Duo - snaps or aplix?

766 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  PancakesMancakes 
#1 ·
I'm about to buy my newborn stash on Monday and am opting for 4 Thirsties DUO covers (in addition to some wool and 2 Bummis SWW), and was wondering if anyone has any advice about the snaps vs. aplix.

The Bummis are aplix, so I was thinking 1 Duo aplix and 3 snaps, so that I would have 3 of each, but am wondering now if I should go for all snaps.

#2 ·
I've had both versions. I got the size 1 Duos in velcro and the size 2 in snaps. I don't know that I have a preference. The velcro seems to deteriorate a bit but that's inherent with the material. It did make dipe changes easier for my husband so that's a bonus in my book. Although my size 1 velcro is a slightly frayed around the edges, the middle part still grips like a champ. They did not come apart in the wash if I sealed them nice and tight. The bonus for the velcro is since you don't know how your LO will be shaped, the velcro will give you more options for getting just the right fit.

BTW, my son is also an 8/8 baby.

#3 ·
I would go velcro because its way easier and will fit better on a newborn. I have both for my 11 month old. I've been using the velcro ones for a few months now and I love them, but he has figured out how to take them off himself (an issue you probably won't have at any point in a size one) so I bought some snaps. The snaps work well, but they don't fit as well as the velcro...but my babe has not figured how to jettison them yet.

#4 ·
I'm working on my NB stash too - I was planning on snaps, just because I have heard that the velcro deteriorates over time and I want to save them for a baby number 2 (hopefully). I am interested to hear more opinions though - I hadn't thought about getting a better fit with the velcro...

#7 ·
I've got both too- I like the snaps because they seem like they will hold up better over time.

DP doesn't like the snaps. The aplix is faster when changing and I guess the fit is a bit more customized...

Either way really I guess. My DD is 4 weeks old and we've been using the covers for about 3 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.