Flats and Cover Questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now we use prefolds and fleece at home for the most part... We have the Dancing Bears fleece covers and I love how well they work and that they don't leave marks on my little guys!! I think I would like to try flats though... how do you do them? How do they compare to prefolds in terms of the learning curve to use them?

Then with covers... is there a good cover that works well over PFs and doesn't leave marks?? We have the Blueberry coveralls and Thirsties Duos and I really like the fit but they leave marks...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#2 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 AM

Flats need more folding, but otherwise I find them easier to use than prefolds in that you can get a better fit because there are more shape options. I mostly used the oragami fold, and with a pre-mobile baby that might stay on without any fastners under a wool cover or on its own, but once they start wriggling around, you'll need something that closes firmly and holds the diaper on or to start using snappis (I don't like snappis, they snag on things too much).

Flats are easier to clean than prefolds -- they get less detergent/stink buildup because it doesn't get trapped in the layers like with prefolds and fitteds. They dry almost instantaneously. The fabric is nicer. They take a little longer to fold, but they're also the true, original one-size diaper.

Oh, and it's not like flats are a big investment -- cheaper than prefolds.
#3 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 AM

I love flats because I like finding fun folds to do. But if you don't have the time to fold or something you can just fold them into the shape of a prefold and use it like one of fold it into a strip and lay in cover.

I use the blueberry one size so can't help ya on the cover.

I ordered one dozen flats and figured if I didn't like them I could use them for kitchen towels so I wasn't out anything.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe I will order a few flats to try on the new baby.. try my had at folding them on a non-mobile baby first! I read you need to use 2 on a bigger baby or toddler? Are there any websites or videos on how to fold them?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#5 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Yeah, I just googled how to fold a flat cloth diaper and there were many sites. I also looked on you tube and found several.

My DD is right in the middle of needing 1 vs 2. lol

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 6 Old 06-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Once you get used to flats, they're pretty easy, but they do take longer to fold than prefolds, and you need to use two at a time. Plus I never could get the hang of using flats coverless.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page