Cloth Dipes while traveling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope no one minds, I know there's a similar post in this forum, but it's about camping, but I wanted to know about peoples' experiences with a road trip. What did you do? I was asking since I'm kind of a novice in the big scheme of things, as far as CD...anyway....

My trip is in August and the details are not set yet but it's approximately 4-7 days long. We will be driving 3.5 hrs away but probably longer since we'll need to stop more often for the baby...he hates long car rides. But anyway....trying to decide and figure out the diaper situation...we'll be staying with some cousins for maybe 2-3 days at the most. Then driving over to another area and staying in a hotel for several nights. We'll be visiting several theme parks and going on hikes....

My diapers are primarily pocket diapers. I have a few fitteds, PUL covers, prefolds and a couple bum sweaters too...but mainly pockets. My son is 12 months and my daughter is 35 months. My daughter is almost all potty trained but still wears some cloth dipes.

Question is, do I bring the cloth diapers. Do I use them all the time? Some of the time. Is it a big deal to throw a load of dipes in a hotel washing machine or is it going to be a big pain and I'm going to wish I didn't bring the cloth? Should I buy some non-chlorine dipes for the occasion? I keep regular chlorine dipes here at home for in-a-pinch situations. But wondering if they're going to be in them for longer periods, if I should bring the other kind. If you couldn't tell I'm super confused here...ha...I don't like the idea of the kids sitting in the regular dipes all night so I'd like to at least do the cloth at night.

I hope no one minds me throwing this in here but with my older one, I'm not sure if I should lug along the potty seat on vacay...we have the froggy floor potty...and/or the little seat that goes on the big seat. I can't guarantee she will want to sit on theme park or hotel toilets...should I just put dipes on her for the theme parks...I know from our current potty situation that dipes for a day won't make her regress as far as the potty...

TIA and any advice or similar experiences are appreciated!

ETA: I was going to also ask about cloth swim dipes. Should I get some? Are they worth having? I was going to get some for both children but my oldest is doing so good potty training that it might not make sense to get her one.

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-20-2010, 11:39 PM

I have brought cloth while traveling and thrown them in either a hotel coin-op machine or a relative's washer. It has not been a big deal at all. I think sposies would be a pain because I'm not used to them, plus I hear they leak.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#3 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 AM

If you have access to a washer/dryer, I'd say to go ahead and bring your cloth dipes. You're used to them, you know how they perform under certain situations. If you have enough dipes to last you the last couple days until you get home, then you don't even need to worry about trying to wash them in the hotel laundry.

Now: Mama of 2! Worker Bee happily married to my DH, motorcycle riding mama to H 8/99 and K 8/09.
#4 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your experiences...that's the one thing, my son's bowel movements are very messy, sticky, frequent, etc. He is on solids but eats lots of fruit and vegetables but also nurses so things aren't really neat in that department. So we may definitely need a washing during the trip so things don't get too gross or moldy. And I'm adding a new cloth diaper approx every week when hubby gets paid, but I don't think I have enough to last several days with no washing. I do have many more that I'm not counting here...because I made them, and they are just awful. They are ones that we just wear around the house because they are gaffed and they leak. But where I'm going there's not much to do in the evening hours so I don't think washing is a biggie.

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
#5 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Banned

I've been wondering about this very same thing. My baby is due in early January, but I make a yearly trip back to Texas towards the end of February/the beginning of March every year. We'll be clothing diapering and probably staying at my Mom's house so we'll have access to a washer and dryer, but I wasn't sure how well that would work. Hmm.
#6 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM

You can always bring disposable liners if you think that will help with cleanup.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#7 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 03:02 PM

I recently went on a 4 day trip, and used cloth the whole time. I was able to pack them in a suitcase for DD, and I also packed my big PUL lined laundry bag. I just packed the dirties away and washed when I got home. If I need to be gone for more than 4 days, I would have done a load there. If you're going to have some downtime at the hotel, I don't think that would be a big deal. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I like the idea of bringing liners to help with the sticky, frequent BMs.

WAHM to Ladybug (13 months) and Bumblebee
#8 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm trying to decide between hotels right now. One has a washer and dryer, the other doesn't, I don't think. So if I pick the latter, I will have to choose laundromat. One of my concerns was about diapers growing mold, more than anything.

#9 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 AM

I did a combo of sposies and CDs the times that we went on vacation (usually for 1 week). I figured I was on vacation and although I like cloth better, I didn't want to have laundry hanging over my head, so having some sposies gave me some flexibility. If I was able to wash in time, great, if not, no biggie.

When visiting family or friends and counting on the use of their washer -- I would take into account whether they CD. If they don't, they might think it's gross to wash diapers in their washer.

One trip we were on, the hotel laundromat machines sucked. But mostly I've had non-painful experiences washing dipes while on the road and felt it was worthwhile to bring my dipes.

I do bring along the potty chair while on vacation--and couldn't imagine not bringing something, a seat or a chair. My kids would have freaked and not been able to poop if I had to hold them on the adult potty seat. When we go to the zoo (just locally though) I bring the small Bjorn potty chair and just toss it under the stroller. I use it instead of bringing my kids into the restroom. I have a phobia about them touching everything in a public restroom. Also since you're driving you might want to have the potty chair on the road? Pee is no problem but if your DD decides she needs to poop in the middle of the car ride, I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have my potty chair!

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page