What do you use at night? - Mothering Forums
Diapering > What do you use at night?
4myfinn's Avatar 4myfinn 01:59 PM 06-21-2010
I have been using pocket dipes with DS (mostly BG but also FB, Swaddlebees, and some Mommy's Touch diapers I got used). My problem is nighttime. I cannot for the life of me find a diaper that won't leak at night. DH and I have resorted to (gasp!) disposables at night to protect our expensive Tempurpedic mattress that we don't want ruined. Even the sposies leak at times, but not nearly as much or as bad as the CD's. So, yeah, DS is a pretty heavy wetter.

I desperately want to return to cloth at night, and I feel like I need to try something besides pockets, but I don't know what to try. What do you use? Any tips or recommendations would be so welcome. Thanks.

Juliacat's Avatar Juliacat 02:26 PM 06-21-2010
Two prefolds in a good cover.
4myfinn's Avatar 4myfinn 03:20 PM 06-21-2010
Any recommendations on a "good cover" or prefolds?
scottishmommy's Avatar scottishmommy 03:34 PM 06-21-2010
We use drybees gone natural (bamboo) with a stacinator cover. I love stacinator. Nothing gets through them!
ETA
We use stacinator so simple
e_roehm23's Avatar e_roehm23 03:52 PM 06-21-2010
I don't know how old your lo is, but my 16 mos ds has the same problem. I too resorted to sposies, but am now on my way back to cloth at night.

We have been using bamboo pf's w/a bamboo doubler, + quad folded microfibre towel. We use fleece longies, but I agree that stacinator is probly the safest route. Ds still soaks through this combo, w/o leaks, but his dipe is nearly dripping in the a.m.

So, I bought some hemp fleece and I'm gonna make some inserts that are similar to a loopy-do (for my own personal use, of course). I'm hoping that ds will then get a good night sleep, as now he usually wakes up once a night even w/ a stay dry liner.

Long story short, you might try the suggested bamboo pf's and then if you need more absorbancy, I've heard that the Loopy-do and the Super-do are top notch!!

good luck
4myfinn's Avatar 4myfinn 04:42 PM 06-21-2010
Thanks for the suggestions! DS is 9 mo, and although he's not STTN, we co-sleep and usually just nurse back down while still half-asleep. I think it would really disrupt him to have to change him during the night. (He's often okay with a 5 AM or so change but anything more than that would not work for us.)

I'm going to start researching the recommendations. I have hated the nighttime sposies from the moment we resorted to them, but I didn't really know what else to do at the time. Thanks!
Mom2M's Avatar Mom2M 06:01 PM 06-21-2010
We use a fuzzi bunz withe the regular microfiber insert and then stuff a prefold in also or a terry/fleece doubler insert.
No leaks at all but it feels like it weighs 5 pounds in the morning!
MamieCole's Avatar MamieCole 07:14 PM 06-21-2010
We use a Best Bottoms w/overnight+hemp inserts. Never had a leak.
Juliacat's Avatar Juliacat 09:09 PM 06-21-2010
Motherease airflow would be my top pick because it's so roomy and leakproof, but I've used Bummis and Swaddlebees covers too, and those are easier because I can quadfold both prefolds and lay them in, which is actually easier than stuffing a pocket diaper. Prefolds, I just use regular DSQ's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfinn View Post
Any recommendations on a "good cover" or prefolds?

Chamomile Girl's Avatar Chamomile Girl 09:55 PM 06-21-2010
Prefold lined with two hemp doublers under an Imse Vimse wool cover. I love that its breathable and all natural. We don't have an issue with leaks or with rash using this combo.

On a side note, what about getting a waterproof cover for your mattress? I think putting any combo straight on a bed is a form of hubris .
bcblondie's Avatar bcblondie 09:58 PM 06-21-2010
We use nothing but BGOS and rarely have leaks. Usually if it happens it's just because the diapers need to be stripped.
Aramat36's Avatar Aramat36 10:09 PM 06-21-2010
Mother Ease covers are great for us, no leaks at all or I use Totbots AIO's. Good luck!
Carhootel's Avatar Carhootel 11:35 PM 06-21-2010
we use fuzzi bunz with hemp inserts and microfiber inserts. or bum genius one size with a mix of inserts. sometimes sposies too if we have a pack leftover from a trip
Beauchamp's Avatar Beauchamp 01:25 AM 06-22-2010
For those who use PFs at night...do you have issues with your baby feeling the wetness? Mine hates the wet feeling sooo much, so just wondering how that works at night?
nyakanyasko's Avatar nyakanyasko 01:40 AM 06-22-2010
We're just getting back to cloth at night too...motherease sandys are what is working for my heavy wetter.
Nicole730's Avatar Nicole730 02:09 AM 06-22-2010
We use a knicker nappies super do insert. Usually in a homemade diaper, cotton fleece inner PUL outer.
Chamomile Girl's Avatar Chamomile Girl 02:21 AM 06-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
For those who use PFs at night...do you have issues with your baby feeling the wetness? Mine hates the wet feeling sooo much, so just wondering how that works at night?
No, its never been an issue here. Of course its really all he knows, but even so his diaper can be saturated and he won't complain.
cristeen's Avatar cristeen 02:47 AM 06-22-2010
My guy is the same age as yours, and is a phenomenally heavy wetter (he can soak a Dream-Eze in 2 hours... some people use those as night-time dipes).

The only thing that has gotten us all the way through the night is a Happy Hempy pocket fitted with the fleece (stay-dry) inner. Stuffed with 2 PFs and a Babykicks Hemparoo doubler. Covered with a Mommy's Touch OS cover (it's so bulky a sized cover won't cover, and wool would be soaking wet by morning).

And even with all of that, it's sopping wet and close to 4 pounds by morning.

The only thing that's even come close to that is an S'bish magic dipe with a fleece liner under the same cover, but the leg elastic is insufficient for my guy's skinny legs, and we're just begging for a blow-out. Not to mention the fleece liners are fiddly - I just prefer the fleece inner on the pocket fitted (and it washes cleaner than a regular pocket).

Might I recommend a felted wool blanket under your sheet to protect the mattress? Or you can get a PUL lined bed pad - but the blanket is probably cheaper from any army surplus store.
Beauchamp's Avatar Beauchamp 11:42 AM 06-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
No, its never been an issue here. Of course its really all he knows, but even so his diaper can be saturated and he won't complain.
Maybe your son could explain things to my daughter. Then I could use all those PFs I bought!
4myfinn's Avatar 4myfinn 01:19 PM 06-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Might I recommend a felted wool blanket under your sheet to protect the mattress? Or you can get a PUL lined bed pad - but the blanket is probably cheaper from any army surplus store.
Great idea! I have one of these sitting in the basement.
weezix's Avatar weezix 01:25 PM 06-22-2010
i make my own diapers and my kids all leaked through disposables at night. so...
i made flannel pocket diapers and stuffed them with a prefold, plus a folded up microfibre cloth and made them wool covers out of old sweaters. (i also made some fleece ones that they didn't leak through but they stink in the morning). i've NEVER had a leak through wool.
Pat899's Avatar Pat899 02:32 PM 06-22-2010
Pockets just don't work well at night for me.

I use a thick fitted diaper with a stay dry inner and a wool pull on cover. It won't leak at all. I promise.
Ninetales's Avatar Ninetales 02:44 PM 06-22-2010
GMD Snug-to-fit Supreme fitted, with a trifolded GMD orange edge prefold inside. Covered with a Thirsties cover, sized up.
cristeen's Avatar cristeen 07:48 PM 06-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat899 View Post
I use a thick fitted diaper with a stay dry inner and a wool pull on cover. It won't leak at all. I promise.
You can't know that... even the goodmamas night-time dipe isn't enough for my guy - if i put him in wool, there'll be a wet spot by morning. If I want to use wool at night, I have to change him around 2 am.
Up