Prefold Folding Educate Me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I am sick of having a big poo mess on my diaper wraps. I use a diaper service so I'm not washing diapers so the poopy wraps are messing up my laundry schedule at home (I only want to do laundry in cold water twice a week, with poopy wraps I need to use hot and do it more often).

So - we use prefolds folded in three with the back fanned open and as per the diaper service instructions just put in in a Bummis (Superbrite or Superwhisper) cover and put it on - no pins no snappi. If it helps - babe is 8 months and very mobile and had skinny legs.

I'm OK with a touch of poo on the gusset but do I have to have a fully soiled wrap every time? Do snappi's help? Should I fold it differently?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 PM

If we don't snappi/pin we get poop on the cover every time. We do the jelly roll fold snappied with a cover over the top. Poop barely ever escapes that! To do the jelly roll we lay the PF under the baby, with the diaper about even with the belly button. Roll in the sides near their butt cheeks then bring up between their legs and snappi. I am not sure that made sense but try googling it and I am sure you would find better instructions and probably videos that will help a lot!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM

I'm interested in this too. I fold the prefolds the same way, use a snappi, and still get poo on the wrap almost every time. Is there a different way to fold the prefold that holds the poo in better?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesmama View Post
So I am sick of having a big poo mess on my diaper wraps. I use a diaper service so I'm not washing diapers so the poopy wraps are messing up my laundry schedule at home (I only want to do laundry in cold water twice a week, with poopy wraps I need to use hot and do it more often).

So - we use prefolds folded in three with the back fanned open and as per the diaper service instructions just put in in a Bummis (Superbrite or Superwhisper) cover and put it on - no pins no snappi. If it helps - babe is 8 months and very mobile and had skinny legs.

I'm OK with a touch of poo on the gusset but do I have to have a fully soiled wrap every time? Do snappi's help? Should I fold it differently?

Thanks so much!
I use pins or a snappi. Some poop still gets on the covers, but not every time and not as much. The trick is to aim for a nice night fit around the legs. What I like most about this is that the diaper doesn't sag like it did when I trifolded.

i wanted to address your laundering issue, though. I never purposely wash my covers on hot. It's fine (and even preferable) to wash on cold or warm. I usually just throw them in my first, cold wash with the diapers, and then fish them out of the washer before my hot wash and hang them on the line to dry. If I'm running out of covers before diaper washing day, I either put the covers in another cold laundry load or wash them by hand. If I had all the time in the world I'd wash by hand with Dr. Bronner's all of the time.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Re: the jelly roll fold - do you do this on an active baby? It sounds like it would do the trick but she's eager to get free as soon as she can so I can barely get the diaper on her.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesmama View Post
Re: the jelly roll fold - do you do this on an active baby? It sounds like it would do the trick but she's eager to get free as soon as she can so I can barely get the diaper on her.
I have done this fold since they were born, they are now 1 and 2 so yup! It can be done I would recommend practicing on a stuffed animal or something to get the hang of it, it really doesn't take me much time at all now. Though if they are being relaly squirmy I throw a leg over their chest, really lightly, which usually gets the message across to hold still.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
highly recommend a snappi.
i never wash my covers in hot. depending on the cover, some can even be handwashed and hung dry, (ones with pul inside or "plastic" pull on)

i've also found that having a prefold that isn't too big helps.

i don't jelly roll, but do turn in the sides once i've already snappied.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 PM

I found that poop got on the covers every time until DS was on a significant amount of solids and had less breast milk-y poops. For us, mobility didn't affect leakage as much as his diet.

I definitely recommend using some sort of fastener. I like both pins and Snappis, and find they both work well. I have no real preference, just depends on my mood as to which I use.

I do a very similar fold as you, and it works very well on my active babe. I trifold, then fan the back. Pull diaper between legs and fold down in front. Then bring the 'wings' around and fasten. I really like this fold for two main reasons: it provides a lot of extra padding in front (I see that you have a girl, so this is probably not as helpful), and it creates a little fold in the diaper at the leg (similar to hospital corners on a bed) that holds the poop in 99% of time. It has to be a serious blow-out for any leakage.

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM

I use the angel wing fold you describe, but if I don't snappi it I will have to wash the cover. You have to be sure to get the dipe snug around the legs, since that's where it will usually leak.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 PM

http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php
some good info there.

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes

User Tag List