7th Gen vs. Earth's Best sposies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only use sposies occasionally at night - I noticed at a new grocery store that there is a choice between 7th Gen and Earth's Best. Aside from price (EB was $3 more), is there any compelling reason to use one over the other? Seems like they're both fragrance free, chlorine free... I know they both have SAPs...

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#2 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The 7th gen is softer and more flexible, but I have used both and they were both fine.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 12 Old 06-26-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
The 7th gen is softer and more flexible, but I have used both .
Yep! The only thing for me is Earths Best diapers have this strong chemical smell to them. I've called the company they sent me free diapers but even those had the same smell. Recently I went to buy more diapers and they were out of 7th gen so I bought Earths best and guess what??? They smelled bad again! I'm not sure what it is but it doesn't smell right ifykwim?
#4 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 12:01 AM

I never noticed any smell with EBs. I have used both. The 7th Gen feels more papery to me. The EBs are softer, and somewhat thicker feeling. I think they hold more pee. Both are tall and narrow.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#5 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 AM

Out of those two, I would go with Earth's Best because 7th Generation has a plasticy outside layer and a chemical smell. Nature Babycare makes a disposable without any plastic or SAPs that can actually last overnight without leaking. You'd probably have to order them online, but diapers.com has free shipping.

Student and SAHM to my sweet little boy (2-2009), happily unmarried to my best friend and expecting #2 in April!
#6 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 PM

When LO was a newborn we tried the seventh generation. i didn't have much luck with them. I did like that they were a more natural choice that the traditional sposies but we had fit problems and leaking issues. I have never tried earth's best or nature babycare
#7 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph152 View Post
Out of those two, I would go with Earth's Best because 7th Generation has a plasticy outside layer and a chemical smell. Nature Babycare makes a disposable without any plastic or SAPs that can actually last overnight without leaking.
Nature Babycare contains SAP.

Also we had terrible luck with those - the tabs were shot on about a quarter of the diapers right out of the bag, and lots of the others failed after a few minutes in use.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#8 of 12 Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 PM

I like the 7th gen better. I thought they were softer. The EB are more papery and stiff, to me. I've never really had any leaks in either, though, even over night.

The first pack of EB that I bought had a HORRIBLE chemical smell, so I wasn't going to buy them again ever. But then a friend was sent the wrong size EBs from somewhere online, and she gave them all to me for the price of a danish and coffee. So I have/had like 350 EBs, and for whatever reason these don't smell like that.

But yeah, in short: I still like the 7th gen better, but not enough better to turn down 350 free diapers.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#9 of 12 Old 06-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaski View Post
When LO was a newborn we tried the seventh generation. i didn't have much luck with them. I did like that they were a more natural choice that the traditional sposies but we had fit problems and leaking issues. I have never tried earth's best or nature babycare
same here, hated them and the tab fasteners were messed up in like half the bag. would never use 7th gen again and our babe was very average size andproportions. have not tried the other kind. and yes they elt papery and ick.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#10 of 12 Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I actually strongly prefer the Earth's Best over 7th Generation because I find that they smell way less. The 7th Gen smell made me feel sick. But I've only used disposable diapers for a couple of weeks total because of camping and long road trips.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#11 of 12 Old 06-29-2010, 01:14 PM

These are the ones we have used in the past. http://www.tushies.com/ No gel inside them, though they are bleached. I liked them better than 7th gen.

You can order them in bulk through the mail for a descent price.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#12 of 12 Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I actually strongly prefer the Earth's Best over 7th Generation because I find that they smell way less. The 7th Gen smell made me feel sick. But I've only used disposable diapers for a couple of weeks total because of camping and long road trips.
We had one pack of 7th Gen with a really strong chemical smell, but none of the other packs we've bought ever had that problem (I guess maybe 4 total)?

I noticed a pp said she had the same experience with one of the Earth's Best packs so maybe it's a random occurrence.

None of the 7th Gen we've bought have ever had a problem with the tab fasteners - actually I thought they were really good, they held up great compared to the other sposies we've tried.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page