Help finding my 'magic diaper' - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I have a few criteria in mind, but can't figure out what the best diaper is to get all of them. We've got a ways to go, not even expecting yet, but DH humors me as I find things I can buy 'ahead of time' to kill the waittime.

We have been given already about 14-15 newborn Kushies AIO's which say they fit 4-10lbs. I also have three WAHM newborn fitteds, but no cover for them.

Also have 10 Kushies AIO's that look fine inside, but the PUL is pretty worn. I intend to use these as backup, but I've been toying with the idea of trying to recover them somehow, or using them with an added fleece cover or something.

I feel like I would prefer pockets and snaps to velcro. We will most likely buy most of the dipes used, with a few splurges new (I'm looking at you blueberry minkee!) This is our first baby, so I have no idea as to size/fit other than we were both skinny babies, but the other babies in the family have been anywhere from 15-22inches long at birth... and ranged from 5-8lbs. I don't expect a terribly chubby baby.

My computer is about to die... but I'll post this now... Anybody got suggestions for a good stash to start with?

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 AM

I am not a huge fan of AIOs. I haven't tried them myself, but I've read so many complaints around the internet about how hard they are to launder, and how fast they wear out, that I haven't wanted to.

Snaps are definitely preferable to velcro, although we used velcro covers on DD until she was about 6 months old, and they were fine for that pre-mobile stage. Once she started moving, though, they just didn't work any more.

Pockets are good, but after 2 years of mostly using pockets, I am sick to death of stuffing the buggers. Also, with a skinny baby, pockets may be more prone to leak if they're super-stuffed. Something with leg gussets and/or very springy elastic would be better at preventing the leaks.

We usedprimarily prefolds with covers for the first 6 months or so. The nice thing about prefolds is that you can have dozens of them, which you'll want if you change often and don't want to do diaper laundry constantly. I made the mistake of buying larger prefolds, too, thinking we would stick with that system until we were done, but as it turned out, between one thing and another, pockets were much better for us in the 6 months - potty-training stage.

For baby 2, I'm going to use more fitteds with wool covers.

The point is, I think you should stock up on 1 or 2 types for the NB/small stage, then see what works before committing to something for the next size up.
#3 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no, I agree, DH and I went through all the different types of diapers last night, and telling him pros/cons etc. AIO's are definately not my firs choice. The newborn ones, we got all 18 of them for about $10, snd they're brand new, so I'm just not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

For the rest of our stash, I'm looking for a snap closing pocket, Preferably sized I think, OS always look so big and bulky to me. I'm open to the idea of fitteds, but for some reason I gravitate towards the pockets. Neither of us have any desire to use prefolds.

You find the fitteds and covers fit better generally than pockets? I'm potentionally worried about a skinny baby, so snug leg gussets is definately something to consider. What are the major pros/cons of a pocket or fitted compared to the other.

The only dipes I've really seen in person are FB, BG (neither ON a baby) and knickernappies- which I really liked the fit on the small baby they were on. And of course the kushies, which meh. AMP diapers are made in my city, so in a way it would be cool to use those, but I want it to be because I love them, not because they're made here.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Now, see, I really like AIOs. Pockets are a pain to wash and stuff, I can just about handle AI2s, but AIOs are the business. I like BG Organics or Imse Vimse AIOs. The IV ones are sized and the BGs are one size.

If I was having another baby (which I'm not, EVER) I would get:
36 infant prefolds
4 Imse Vimse organic cotton covers NB size
2 IV Soft covers w/snaps NB size
2 IV organic cotton Small size
2 IV Soft Small
3 overnight diapers
2 disana wool soakers, smallest size
12 IV AIOs, NB size

I have skinny kids and the IV fits really nicely, got very effective leg gussets so you never get leg leaks. Low rise though, which some people don't like. I find with one-size covers or AIOs there is always a time when none of the settings fit and you get leaks.

Also, with a skinny baby, the smaller sizes fit for longer. DD2 wore small IV and Bummis covers until she was about 8 months old and then was able to go straight to IV larges. She's almost 2 now and still wearing the same large covers, so, expensive, but cost-effective.
#5 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigypsy View Post

Snaps are definitely preferable to velcro, although we used velcro covers on DD until she was about 6 months old, and they were fine for that pre-mobile stage. Once she started moving, though, they just didn't work any more.

Pockets are good, but after 2 years of mostly using pockets, I am sick to death of stuffing the buggers. Also, with a skinny baby, pockets may be more prone to leak if they're super-stuffed. Something with leg gussets and/or very springy elastic would be better at preventing the leaks.

We usedprimarily prefolds with covers for the first 6 months or so. The nice thing about prefolds is that you can have dozens of them, which you'll want if you change often and don't want to do diaper laundry constantly. I made the mistake of buying larger prefolds, too, thinking we would stick with that system until we were done, but as it turned out, between one thing and another, pockets were much better for us in the 6 months - potty-training stage.

For baby 2, I'm going to use more fitteds with wool covers.

The point is, I think you should stock up on 1 or 2 types for the NB/small stage, then see what works before committing to something for the next size up.
I found a lot of the same things to be true. My ds was a long and lean baby, and up until he was mobile I used pf's and velcroed or snapped PUL covers. I know you aren't interested in pf's, but fitteds are another good option. It also depends on how heavily your lo wets. My ds was a heavy wetter and pockets didn't always work well. Heck, they didn't work at all until he chubbed out a little, I guess around 6 months or so. Before he got bigger they leaked at the gussets. I tried loads of different types of dipes and spent way too much $$ but now I know what to get for this baby. So yes, def use the newborn/small stage to try out some different systems to see what you like. Check for leaks, how well they wash and quickly they dry, PITA factor (if you find, as I did, that you hate stuffing pockets) if they tend to hang on to lingering stink (specialty type fabrics can do that) durability, and of course, how much your baby likes them

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#6 of 17 Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

You find the fitteds and covers fit better generally than pockets? I'm potentionally worried about a skinny baby, so snug leg gussets is definately something to consider. What are the major pros/cons of a pocket or fitted compared to the other.
At the newborn/small stage, I do think fitteds/covers or prefolds/covers are preferable to AIOs or AI2s because of the explosive manner in which tiny babies poo. With fitteds, it's almost like double protection, you get the fitted on tight, but if some leaks out, it stays in the cover, 99.9% of the time. Another pro to fitteds those first few months are not having to stuff pockets, which isn't that big of a deal, but you will have so much other stuff going on that it will be nice to just grab a diaper out of the laundry basket and throw it on the baby. If you do use fitteds, I really like the Thirsties covers, we were able to use the Thirsties Duo Wraps when DD was a month old, I didn't have them before that, but did have one Thirsties size extra small that worked well. I've totally fallen in love with Thirsties covers and would not buy any other kind.

We have BumGenius 3.0 and Knickernappies Onesize pockets, both fit on DD and have since she was about 1.5 months old. They are a bit bulky, but I'd prefer bulk over only being able to use the diapers for a short period of time. We have 7 of these and use them when we are out and about and overnight.

Mama to three

#7 of 17 Old 06-30-2010, 12:57 AM

I'll toss in another vote for fitteds and covers. Even at 9 mos, I rarely get diaper laundry put away before it's time to do another load. If I had to stuff pockets, we'd be in big trouble. I have a handful of pocket fitteds, including his night-time dipe, and I invariably have to stuff them right before putting them on him.

I'm also all about the natural fibers, which most pocket dipes are not.

Our guy is uber-skinny, still wearing NB tees at 9 mos. He would probably still fit into some of his Sm fitteds, if he hadn't outgrown the absorbency. We have him in Meds, and they're on the smallest snap setting.

I will say that Dream-Eze are my absolute fave dipe for my heavy-wetter. I loved them in the smalls, and I love them in the mediums (I have 18 of them and am slowly purging my stash of almost everything else). He didn't really fit into the Smalls until he was almost 3 mos because of his skinny legs, but they are the most absorbent fitted I've tried (tied with GoodMamas OS). I do like the Imse Vimse covers, but he didn't even fit into the Sm until he was almost 6 mos. Mostly we just use wool.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 17 Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

I keep hearing more than leans me towards fitted. I'm having trouble coming to terms with the lack of cutesie covers... I loved that about pockets, that they're more 'interesting' to look at. Any suggestions for 'pretty' covers?

I think i'm in the process of buying 6 small fuzzibunz, as long as everything works out ok with shipping costs. I'm excited about those.

#9 of 17 Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 AM

Oh my, you will find no lack of cute covers! You can look on hyena cart for hand knit wool covers, and Bummis PUL covers have some adorable patterns. You can also take up knitting and make some nice stuff. Check out diaperware.com, there are some cute covers on there.

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#10 of 17 Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 AM

If you want cute, go for wool. Definitely. I have all sorts - I have a wool soaker with a stegosaurus stitched on the bum, I have pants and shorts in a variety of color combos - from a variegated red/blue to a camo blend to ones that look more "big boy" khaki with a simple stripe pattern with pockets on the thighs (like cargo pants), or grey and black color-block.

Check out Kozy Wool for lots of really cute wool designs (that's where I got the stegosaurus), or HC/Etsy also have lots of choices.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#11 of 17 Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 AM

Def wool covers with fitteds! thats my fav. i've had problems with the few pockets that I have... Look at the Loveybums website. they have adorable wool covers that you can have embroidered! I have one and I love it. wool is so soft!

Mama to Cameron 6/03/09
#12 of 17 Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM

I don't think there is a 'magic diaper'. Every baby is built differently and has different needs in a diaper. For newborn babies, prefolds and covers (PUL or wool) are definitely the way to go. They're cheap, they're durable and they make great burp cloths too! It's a great place to start before you dump a bunch of money into diapers that may not work. You'll figure out what works best for you and your baby as you go.

For us, we're loving AIOs right now. She's not loving diaper changes, so I have to make them quick. However, I bought a bunch of Bumgenius organic Aios in the last year and a couple of them are already starting to wear out. The elastic is way stretched, which can be fixed. The inside is also getting holes and coming apart. I'm not sure how we'll repair those. I was hoping to use these on more than one baby, but I doubt that will happen now.

I've held off for as long as possible, but I'm finding the love for Goodmamas. They make an AIO now that we just love. I hated spending so much money on a fitted when you still had to buy a cover for it. But the AIOs are fantastic. I've been told they don't wear out nearly as easily. We'll find out since we just started using some. They're super absorbent and really cute! DD loves wearing them. When she sees me get one out, she runs to the floor and tries to take off the diaper she's wearing so she can put that one on. So, I'd say they're pretty comfy too!

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#13 of 17 Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

I love the look/wear of wool, but the price always scares me away. However, I've been reading up more on crocheting wool covers (I can't knit) so I think I'm going to try a few of those.

For fitteds then... Thirsties are cheap, and I see them mentioned on here lots, are there any better ones to try out for that price range ($12 per)? I like that they look smooth and trim.

Mal85-- I've been lurking the FSOT over on diaperswappers, and I'm finding that it's very common for the BG elastic to loosen. I'd say a good 30% of the ads for them mentioned loosened elastic. I plan/hope to use these diapers for more than one child, so one that doesn't let go after a few months would be nice!

Sorry guys, I'm really just not feeling the prefold thing, and DH isn't interested either. He would do disposibles if it were up to him, so I just really don't see prefolds as an option.

#14 of 17 Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
I love the look/wear of wool, but the price always scares me away. However, I've been reading up more on crocheting wool covers (I can't knit) so I think I'm going to try a few of those.
The price scared me too. But really, check it out. I don't think I've paid more than $18 for a pair of Kozy Wool if I buy through a coop (day weight). Babyology also is under $20 through a coop, and they make a good night-time cover. I just got a cover from HC that would totally be night-time weight for $12, and it was a custom. Even many PUL covers are about that.

I've never spent more than $22 on a pair of wool pants/shorts/soakers. Period. It requires shopping around, but it can be done. And all of my stuff has been bought new.

I also taught myself to knit specifically so I could knit soakers. And I can crochet them also. Not that I have the time/energy right now.

#15 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 12:15 PM

My recs (having had 2 slimmer/smaller babes here ourselves):

We have one small knickernappies pocket - I was surprised, but it does fit really well on a nb. I've also really liked the thirsties duo diapers (not snapping, but well priced in comparison to others with a longer range to wear them and they work well compared to other pockets for explosive poos, and fit well even for newborns). Happy heiny pockets are okay as smalls. I do have a few AIOs (I believe they're very baby, but it doesn't say) that actually work really well in a small.

With dd1, we never used pockets early on - just fitteds or pf with covers (switched to pockets around 1 y/o when she got really wiggly). Mostly kissaluvs (they're pretty easy to pick up used too, and fit well for both our girls). If you want to do some splurging, loveybums has 'budget' fitteds and their wool covers are great too - you can use the mediums pretty early on (bring 'em out around 2 mo) and get a lot of use from them (also can pick them up as seconds, and save a little).
#16 of 17 Old 07-02-2010, 02:49 PM

I had babies that were big at birth (8-9.5 lbs) but had skinny legs. Fitteds and elastic covers were a lifesaver to stop leaking around the legs until they filled out a bit.
#17 of 17 Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 AM

I find AI2's are a great way to go. Expensive up front but easier for DH to use than contours or prefolds, trimmer than fitteds and dry quickly like pockets. We love our SoftBums - it's so easy to get a great fit.

That said, I always recommend you get a 1 or 2 of a few different types of diapers to see what works best for your little one and you before you plunk down all the $ for a full stash.

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page