Best bottoms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried the Best Bottoms from Nicki's Diapers? They look very interesting...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM

I'll be watching this thread since I'm very interested in Best Bottoms as well. I have some Gro Baby and I like them so far, but I'm very interested in BB because of the sized inserts.

Link for the curious:

http://nickisdiapers.blogspot.com/se...ttom%20Diapers

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have some.

I posted recently about them, so I'll just copy and paste.

I've only had my Best Bottoms for a couple weeks, but so far I like them ok. I thought I was going to LOVE them, but so far I am simply satisfied, not blown away. I mainly use them as our nighttime diaper w/a hemp + overnight insert.

Pros: they come in cute colors, are made in USA, using the hemp insert makes for a trim dipe that is easier to get pants/shorts over, I haven't had any leaks or blowouts in them (thanks to the great gussets), great nighttime diaper.

Cons: poop ALWAYS gets onto the shell, so the theoretical benefit of using one shell over and over all day and just changing inserts rarely actually happens.
Although the diaper is adjustable for different sizes (small, med, large) there is only one row of snaps for fastening the diaper (waist only), unlike say a Fuzzi Bunz that has the leg snap and the waist snap, so I find that it is more difficult to get a "just right" fit. Seems it is always a little too loose or a little too tight when used as a daytime diaper.
Sometimes leaves red marks around my LO's thighs.
Is a little intimidating for my DH to change an insert. Although it is a simple diaper to use, for some reason he prefers pockets, unless I already have the Best Bottom insert snapped in and ready to go in the basket.

After using them for another week since I wrote this, I can say that I am now using them as our nighttime diaper only. I really LOVE them for nighttime. No Leaks. No baby waking up at 5am uncomfortable and wanting a change.

But...
One other con that I have realized is that when you are using the diaper w/just a regular daytime insert, there is a lot of PUL exposed and touching the baby's skin, especially around the sides and waist area where you pull to attach the snaps to get a good fit. I feel like it is tugging on his skin. He doesn't complain and doesn't seem uncomfortable, I just prefer for softness to touch his skin instead. When using the overnight insert + a hemp there is less inner PUL exposed, so pretty much only softness is touching his skin.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the review!!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Just wanted to give my review- I LOVE them for my 11 month old. I just sold all of my large pockets and pre-ordered more Best Bottoms to replace them. (I only have 1 cover and a few inserts now).That said, I can see the poop getting on the covers frequently with EBF poop, but now that we have solid-fed poops, that just isn't an issue for us.
I really like prefolds/covers for younger babes though and I'll probably do a combo of BB and prefolds/covers ongoing. The Best Bottoms really are a fabulous system though. I love how trim they are and how they wash up.

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 AM

I'm just getting ready to order my Best Bottoms as a first time CD'er but I had one last question.

I was looking at the micro-boosters, but are they made to ONLY go over the top of another insert or are they to be used separately?  They are also cheaper...

I'm not quite sure how many to order just to try it out without breaking the bank if it doesn't work out...

1pump.giffamilybed1.gifslinggirl.gifcd.gifdiaper.gif

Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamieCole View Post

I have some.

I posted recently about them, so I'll just copy and paste.

I've only had my Best Bottoms for a couple weeks, but so far I like them ok. I thought I was going to LOVE them, but so far I am simply satisfied, not blown away. I mainly use them as our nighttime diaper w/a hemp + overnight insert.

Pros: they come in cute colors, are made in USA, using the hemp insert makes for a trim dipe that is easier to get pants/shorts over, I haven't had any leaks or blowouts in them (thanks to the great gussets), great nighttime diaper.

Cons: poop ALWAYS gets onto the shell, so the theoretical benefit of using one shell over and over all day and just changing inserts rarely actually happens.
Although the diaper is adjustable for different sizes (small, med, large) there is only one row of snaps for fastening the diaper (waist only), unlike say a Fuzzi Bunz that has the leg snap and the waist snap, so I find that it is more difficult to get a "just right" fit. Seems it is always a little too loose or a little too tight when used as a daytime diaper.
Sometimes leaves red marks around my LO's thighs.
Is a little intimidating for my DH to change an insert. Although it is a simple diaper to use, for some reason he prefers pockets, unless I already have the Best Bottom insert snapped in and ready to go in the basket.

After using them for another week since I wrote this, I can say that I am now using them as our nighttime diaper only. I really LOVE them for nighttime. No Leaks. No baby waking up at 5am uncomfortable and wanting a change.

But...
One other con that I have realized is that when you are using the diaper w/just a regular daytime insert, there is a lot of PUL exposed and touching the baby's skin, especially around the sides and waist area where you pull to attach the snaps to get a good fit. I feel like it is tugging on his skin. He doesn't complain and doesn't seem uncomfortable, I just prefer for softness to touch his skin instead. When using the overnight insert + a hemp there is less inner PUL exposed, so pretty much only softness is touching his skin.

I hear this a lot about BBs and I don't really understand it. If you were using pockets you would change the whole diaper, poop or not. How often does your baby poop? We're down to once or twice a day, unless teething, and so I do get to take advantage of just changing the insert regularly, which is especially nice when out and about. Also, if there's an afternoon poop, most of the time it won't get on the cover. Usually only the big morning poops.

I understand about the snaps, hard to get a good fit, but I do not prefer snaps. I have the hook and loop and I love them! Really strong velcro! She will get red marks occasionally with the snaps, but not so much with velcro since you can get a more customized fit. I have 2 h&l and 1 snap, and I won't buy anymore with snaps.

clariebear3 - I wouldn't worry about the micro boosters, the inserts are plenty absorbable without them.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."

User Tag List