if you had to use diaper cream on cloth..wwyd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking about this the other day, some of my kids have needed diaper cream occassionally and some havent ever needed it. But I'd like to have something on hand that I could use with cloth (I always did a sposie when I need to use cream) plus I'd like it to be more natural...I've learned better than desitin. but since I really no longer want any sposies I dont want to ruin my dipes plus I'd like a better natural alternative to desitin.

I will have chinese prefolds, motherease terry (I also wash on HOT HOT cycles) if that makes a difference. I also want ot avoid synthetics as I only do cotton (so I can basically boil my dipes in the wash )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use either Bourdeaux's Butt Paste or Egyptian Magic depending on the type of rash.

To keep it off my dipes (we use pockets and fitteds), I cut up a big Gerber flat into liners and lay that over the area I put cream on before putting the diaper on. It's worked for me so far to keep any cream off the diaper.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 07-01-2010, 10:21 PM

I bought some cheap flannel at Joanns that I can use as a liner if/when I need to use diaper cream.

Mom of 5: dd (10), ds (8) & dd2 (4), my sweet baby son born still 3/2/09, and celebrating the arrival of our dd 5/7/10.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:06 AM

I've used a Kushies flushable diaper liner with success when using a zinc-based cream. But generally I use Substance Nappy Rash cream - it has a nice protective oily layer that washes out, plus calendula which seems to work very well to soothe DS' reactive skin.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 AM

There are options other than cream for dealing with your basic diaper rash/irritation. When my little guy gets rashy, we spend more time without a diaper on, I line his dipes with a fleece liner, and I use a starch based powder on him between dipes. You can also use raw silk liners, which are supposed to help the skin heal. I've never had a rash last more than a day.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 07-02-2010, 05:31 AM

One of my hand creams turned out to be great on rashes because it was so thick that it created a really good moisture barrier, and it must have had some healing ingredients as well (I think the lanolin) because it would always make the rash look so much better.

I also used aquaphor -- it wasn't as good but it's the same principle. Neither of these stained or made my dipes repelled, they washed right out.

I guess I'm just trying to say, it doesn't have to be a diaper rash cream to act as a diaper rash cream.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
Old 07-02-2010, 07:05 AM

I like the California Baby Calendula Cream

Loving my little family life with DH of 6 years and DD 12/22/09. Cloth diapering, exclusive nursing, whole food eating, summer loving public school teacher.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM

We use California Baby diaper rash cream. It's $9.99 at Target. Easy to apply, works great, natural ingredients, hands don't feel greasy or gross after using it.

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
Old 07-04-2010, 12:25 PM

There are a couple of options that are supposed to be CD-safe without having to use liners. We use the GroBaby Magic Stick. I've also heard good things about Grandma El's.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 PM

I've always used diaper rash cream on my bg's w/o issue - not everyday, not even every week, but occasionally it hasn't effected them. I've used just about every standard rash cream on bg 2.0s, before finally settling on PinxAV as the only thing that seemed to help Ds1's constant, horribly rash when he was ~2 yrs old (he'd poop and not tell you and just sit in it till he got close enough to you so's you could smell it and change him... thus he constantly had a very nasty rash )
Old 07-04-2010, 11:21 PM

I've used both burts bees diaper cream and california baby with our cloth diapers - no liners and never had staining, reppeling, leaking or any other issue from it.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
Old 07-05-2010, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For a while we used the Northern Essence, which is supposed to be CD-safe, but I swear it made my dipes repel. Now if I really need cream I just use a sposie and slop on the zinc oxide stuff. Trying to figure out a truly CD-safe option is not worth the hassle to me.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
I also used aquaphor -- it wasn't as good but it's the same principle. Neither of these stained or made my dipes repelled, they washed right out.

I really want to avoid synthics or petroleum based products. Id rather have a natural barrier cream instead.

I've been looking at the CA baby dipe cream
Old 07-05-2010, 11:13 AM

We use Booty Balm from LuSa Organics. It's CD safe; after 14 months my prefolds still absorb as well as ever. I got mine at my local crunchy pharmacy but they have a website too.

Jenn, breastfeeding, cosleeping, cloth diapering, babywearing Mummy to Danny (5/2009)
Old 07-05-2010, 05:38 PM

I use Grandma El's which is cloth diaper safe, and even though it's more expensive, it works great and a little goes a long way.

If I can't use a CD safe for any reason, I always use a fleece liner. Get fleece on Joanns and cut a bunch of square or contour pieces. No serging requieres. Hope that helps!

User Tag List