Overwhelmed! Starting over with Cloth and don't know where to begin! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any direction would be greatly appreciated. I CD my first son (over 8 years ago) because he got horrible blistering rashes from disposables. I used a mix of fuzzibunz (which I liked but didn't fit him initially); AIO's like Bumkins, and fitteds/prefolds with covers (Nikky's fit him best-he had skinny legs).

I did both CD and some 'sposies for my second son, then gave all my diapers away. When I had my third son, I never had a lump sum to reinvest, or much time to research a system as I wanted, and I'm sad to say I did disposables the entire time. This time I'd like some opinions on maybe the two best of both worlds, I'd like to start out with a few pocket diapers and a few covers/fitteds & prefolds, see which ones fit this baby the best, and go from there.

One thing I'm questioning, and I don't see addressed on many sites, is how the covers are waterproofed, and how the fabrics are tested. I really want to avoid vinyl, and the chances of any chemicals leaching out into the diaper. Any advice welcome.
#2 of 3 Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 PM

Pocket diapers very a ton on who loves what, I loved Bum Genius hands down (once converted to snap). They are bullet proof IMO! I also love prefolds and covers.

There are nylon covers, pul (polyurethane lined laminate). I don't really know if they still do vinyl covers anymore. I have both the nylon and the pul and perfer the pul because the nylon get damp feeling when the diaper gets wet.

My favorite cover is the Blueberry one size cover (snap)

Snaps are my preference because aplix doesn't hold up IME

Good luck, it is overwhelming but if you order a couple dipes to try. Some diaper stores have trial packs with one of numerous brands and styles of diapers, and go from there.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-03-2010, 01:18 AM

In addition to nylon and PUL covers, there's also poly fleece and wool.

If your babes tend to have skinny legs, but not skinny tummies, I'd recommend the Imse Vimse covers. Their leg gussets work really well with those tiny legs. It's more difficult if you have both skinny legs and skinny tummy - in which case wool is really the best option I've found.

I can't really speak to the pockets, but for fitteds, my absolute fave are Dream-Eze. They're almost the only dipe in our (daytime) stash at this point. I also really like Little Beetles Hemp Original dipes, but I converted all of mine to side-snapping - I hate front snapping, can't get a good fit, and Aplix sucks IMO. As for PFs, the general recommendation is for GMD, but honestly I have GMD and am not impressed. I far prefer my UtN and Bummis PFs to the GMD, but to choose between them, definitely the UtN.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page