Poopy diaper method/routine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I had my first poopy cloth diaper today! It was a solid poop since my son is 21 mos. We are used to using disposables and just wrapping them up as I wipe his bum. I sort of tried to do something similar with the cloth diaper (ME Sandy) and set it aside to put the poo in the toilet later. And although it essentially worked, it was definitely more awkward for me. And he was sitting when he had his BM so it was kind smooshed to the diaper, causing me to have to "peel" it off a bit with some TP while shaking it into the toilet. I'm guessing this probably isn't the most efficient method of dealing with a poopy CD.

What method/routine do you use to change and deal with a poopy diaper? TIA!
#2 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM

#3 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Lapis- hopefully someone will lend us their wisdom so we can take notes! I really need to figure out a good method so I can teach DH how to do it. He has already voiced his opinion about changing CD with poop. LOL
#4 of 23 Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 PM

Diaper sprayer? I haven't used mine yet, since we're still only dealing with EBF poo, but it seems a little easier than the holding-it-in-the-toilet-water-and-flushing method I remember using when changing my siblings' diapers way back when.

DD 2/28/10
#5 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Squirt bottle (poor woman's diaper sprayer).

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#6 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 06:14 AM

and I just learned that here in austria, it seems people usually use diaper liners... disposable or cloth ones... I think that way if you are rinsing its just a small piece of cloth and not an entire diaper or you are just flushing the paper liner down with the poop...

I know we wont be able to get a sprayer... so good to know about the quirt bottle!
#7 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 09:59 AM

A diaper sprayer is a great investment. Makes things a lot easier. We still have EBF poo from our daughter, but I watch a cd toddler from time to time, and we use the diaper sprayer.

The mention of liners might work. They are flushable. We have some but haven't used them yet. Can't attest to how well they work...

Geigerin violin.gif, wife to geek.gif ; mama to 2 cat.gif ; mama to jog.gif and blahblah.gif
#8 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM

I agree on the diaper sprayer. I know it's spendy, but seriously, it's worth it. I wouldn't CD without it, personally. I have no interest in getting up close and personal with the poop and dunk/swirl/scrap with spatula. LOL. It aint happenin. :P

There are cheaper ones on eBay. They aren't as fancy as the BG $45 ones, but they WORK and are the same concept. I believe they are about $19 w/ free shipping. You can also make your own for about $10-15 dollars by buying your own materials and installing it all yourself/.

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#9 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 01:20 PM

You could always do either disposable liners or just a thing piece of fabric. Fleece is good at releasing poo.

HTH

~Rachel

Part-Time WOHM/Full-Time WAHM to 2 little sweeties PEANUT(2yo) & BUGS(8mos)
Check out my Homepage!:
#10 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for your responses! So, my question with the squirt bottle or sprayer... you basically just spray the poop off using the pressure from the water? B/c in my head that seems messy... and you would need a lot of water pressure to get smooshed poop off? I will also check into liners. Any particular brand of liners you recommend or are they all pretty much the same?
#11 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoKoi View Post
Thank you ladies for your responses! So, my question with the squirt bottle or sprayer... you basically just spray the poop off using the pressure from the water? B/c in my head that seems messy... and you would need a lot of water pressure to get smooshed poop off? I will also check into liners. Any particular brand of liners you recommend or are they all pretty much the same?
If you are at all handy, you can just go down to your local fabric store and get yourself some super cheap fleece. 1 yard for less than $5 will get you a HUGE stash of liners and then if they are SUPER poopy you can just toss them.

Like I said, fleece is really good at "releasing" poo.

HTH

~Rachel

Check out my Homepage!:
#12 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

I used to be able to sew, but our machine broke ages ago and we never got another one. My mom can sew well, maybe I can rope her into making some fleece liners. Afterall, she would do anything for her one and only grandson!
#13 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I used to be able to sew, but our machine broke ages ago and we never got another one. My mom can sew well, maybe I can rope her into making some fleece liners. Afterall, she would do anything for her one and only grandson!

Oh! Sorry! I should have said! No need to SEW fleece liners. Poly fleece won't fray, so just cut and your done!

GL!

~Rachel

Check out my Homepage!:
#14 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

OHH! Even better! Then I'm definitely going to do that! Thanks for suggesting :-D
#15 of 23 Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh- one more stupid question- is it only polyester fleece that will work? Or other kinds of fleece too?
#16 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Oh- one more stupid question- is it only polyester fleece that will work? Or other kinds of fleece too?
Other fleece, like bamboo or cotton are absorbent so babe will FEEL the wetness. If that doesn't matter to you, then by all mean, use that! The texture/knit of fleece fabric keeps it from fraying.

HTH

~Rachel

Check out my Homepage!:
#17 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you ladies for your responses! So, my question with the squirt bottle or sprayer... you basically just spray the poop off using the pressure from the water? B/c in my head that seems messy... and you would need a lot of water pressure to get smooshed poop off?
I thought so too before I tried it (had visions of poo water spraying everywhere... :Puke).

But actually it really isn't messy. First of all our inserts are topped with microfleece so the poo smear often peels right off with a little shaking and I don't need to use the squirt bottle at all. When I do use it it's more like a little directed jet to encourage the poo to drop off.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#18 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=mambera;15605094]I thought so too before I tried it (had visions of poo water spraying everywhere... :Puke).QUOTE]

LOL that is exactly what I was imagining!

I went to 3 different stores today in search of microfleece and I came home empty handed. A bit frustrated as well at the lack of knowledge of the people working in the fabric stores. I asked one woman where I could find microfleece and she was like "ummm... I don't think we have any, but this might be similar" (as she strokes some minky fabric) and I said "no, that's not really what I'm looking for" so she asks another co-worker what is most like microfleece and that lady instructs her to tell me the ultra cuddle fleece is most like microfleece- the fibers on this fabric were like half an inch long!
So, anyone know where I can get some microfleece for a decent price and free/minimal shipping??
#19 of 23 Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 PM

I bought some regular thin fleece at JoAnn's, the fabric store. I also got some at Walmart once awhile ago.

I love using fleece liners for semi-solid poops. Works great for us and a lot easier than installing a diaper sprayer!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#20 of 23 Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 AM

This is what i do--well, I asked DH to make me a diaper sprayer but he never quite got around to it, and this works fine and you get over any grossness pretty fast. Hold the diaper over the toilet and use some toilet paper to scrape the solids in the toilet, then flush. A spatula would probably work better but I have never used one (not sure where to store it that would be out of toddler's reach and not gross...). Then I just take the diaper over to the sink and rinse out the rest of the poop, same as I did when washing EBF poops. If you rub the diaper against itself, everything comes out after a little bit (less than a minute). I use cloth wipes, so I rinse them out in the sink too. Wring everything out and put in diaper bucket then wash hands and use soapy water to wash out the sink at the same time. DS always gets poop on the covers, so I usually wash them out with laundry soap at the same time, although I guess you could just throw them in the wash.
#21 of 23 Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM

I use Bummis disposible liners. I know that they are less enviromentally freindly but they are a life saver for me. I'm 5 months pregnant and my DS's poos are like peanutbutter right now. The liner is basically like a super thin sheet of toilet paper... it's really soft. The poo goes on there and then I just dump that into the toilet and the diaper usually has no poo on it at all.

This also helps me because I live in an apartment with shared laundry and they already make a bit of a stink with me washing CD so this way I can say that they have no poo on them at all.

I buy them from our local diaper service although you can order them online. They cost ~$7 for a roll of 100 and that lasts me a long time.

27 yo mother of DS 02/07/09 & DD 11/13/10. 
#22 of 23 Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 AM

I change the poopy diaper, dunk it in the toilet/use a spatula if need be, then place it in the basin until wash time. If the dipe is really bad, i soak it in the sink before wash.

Mom to: DD1 & DD2
#23 of 23 Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke's mama View Post
This is what i do--well, I asked DH to make me a diaper sprayer but he never quite got around to it, and this works fine and you get over any grossness pretty fast. Hold the diaper over the toilet and use some toilet paper to scrape the solids in the toilet, then flush. A spatula would probably work better but I have never used one (not sure where to store it that would be out of toddler's reach and not gross...). Then I just take the diaper over to the sink and rinse out the rest of the poop, same as I did when washing EBF poops. If you rub the diaper against itself, everything comes out after a little bit (less than a minute). I use cloth wipes, so I rinse them out in the sink too. Wring everything out and put in diaper bucket then wash hands and use soapy water to wash out the sink at the same time. DS always gets poop on the covers, so I usually wash them out with laundry soap at the same time, although I guess you could just throw them in the wash.
THANK YOU! You've just confirmed what my mom told me to do just this weekend. I've slowly made the switch to CD with baby #2. With baby #3, I just couldn't do it. I couldn't continue to add to the landfill. Glad to see I need not resort to disposable liners or something else that would continue to add up in the landfill.

Now if you only had suggestions to get us through the night without leaks. Thanks again, for the confirmation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page