Daily disposable diaper needs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm going away for vacation with my 4 month old who's normally in mostly cloth. I'm going to use all disposable for the trip, and I'm trying to pack enough diapers to get me through. I never pay attention to how many diapers I use in a day, plus I assume it's different for cloth than it is for disposable anyway. Any rules of thumb for estimating this? We'll be gone 8 days, and I just bought a pack of 44 7th generation diapers, but I'm wondering if I need a second pack.

Mods: I'm putting this in life with a babe, because Diapering seems to be mostly cloth diaper mamas and I need input from mamas who use sposies! Thanks!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#2 of 11 Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 PM

I would keep a tally for a few days to get an estimate. at that age ds was still going through 16 diapers in a 24hr period, but some babies only use half that. your cloth estimate might be a little high, but I'd rather have too many diapers than too few.
#3 of 11 Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 PM

I think the rule with disposable is every 2-3 hours, but it really depends on the baby. I know ds was a very heavy wetter and often filled a sposie in an hour or so.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#4 of 11 Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM

I'd count your cloth dipe use and get a better feel for your own kiddo but... at four months I would probably say a diaper change every other hour during the day and every 4 hours at night? So around ten diapers in a 24 hour period? Better to have too many than too few!

However... I'd strongly suggest trying the sposies for a day. My kiddos absolutely destroyed 7th gen diapers. Kind of like with cloth, different brands of sposies fit differently and absorb differently. The weight/size guidelines are just guesstimates... for example, my 3yo dd2 wears the same size sposie as my 10mo ds! We ended up using huggies (the plain old huggies, not the fancy stretchy huggies ) as our go-to sposie since they have the least scent and were the only sposies that didn't aggravate dd1's eczema or dd2's sensory issues and ds didn't blow out. But other babes pee right through huggies or blow out the back.

Have fun on your trip!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 11 Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM

I agree that you should try disposables for a day. Seventh Generation are awesome for us, but I know two families who say their kids leak like crazy in them.

We can't use Huggies or Luvs because of leaks, but others have them as their faves.

Every baby's different....
#6 of 11 Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasiya View Post
I agree that you should try disposables for a day. Seventh Generation are awesome for us, but I know two families who say their kids leak like crazy in them.

We can't use Huggies or Luvs because of leaks, but others have them as their faves.

Every baby's different....
We tried the SG's, Target brand, Huggies and have found that the Pampers Baby Dry work best for DS. Plus, they are the softest diaper that I've found as well.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#7 of 11 Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

We actually already use 7th Gen as backup diapers, and they've worked fine for us. And, we don't change during the night (for either cloth or disposable... guess she's not a heavy wetter, huh?).

Quote:
Have fun on your trip!
Thanks. It's DD1's first trip to Disney. I'm beyond excited to share this with her. She just turned five.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#8 of 11 Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Diapering is for all diapering questions, so I am moving this there.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 AM

Hey, here's what we use daily for my 3 month old...

I put a diaper on her when we get up, daycare changes her diaper 3-4 times, I come home and put a diaper on her, usually change it one more time, then change it right before bed. We don't change overnight unless there is poop.

So that's 7-8 diapers per day. My kid isn't a heavy wetter. Some days we may use more like 10 diapers, if she times her poops poorly (or I suppose you could say, if we time the diaper changes poorly).

Usually the two diapers after we get home are cloth, but I would still probably change a 'sposie twice, too.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#10 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i normally just use dispossie for night, but have been traveling alot. my dd is 5m. she goes through about 7 a day. upon waking 5am, before morning nap 8am, after morning nap 11am, before afternoon nap 2pm, after nap 5pm, and before bed 8pm. add in an extra as dd always seems to poop right after i change her.

my dd is not a heavy wetter. she never soaks a yellow gmd prefold, and we change her cloth diapers just a couple times more than i do for dispossie.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#11 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM

I say between 8-10 disposables a day, possibly less, depending on how frequently you can/do stop to change the baby. We used 'sposies until DS turned 7 months and I convinced DH to switch to cloth. we still do use 'sposies when traveling, and sometimes at night. I do always use a disposable insert as added insurance to our night-time diaper. the only times he leaked is when I didn't use it.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page