Bum genius washing question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are starting to use Bum genius. How often do you wash yours? Why do I think every 2 days? Will the world end if I go longer?

Also, I have not been prewashing cold - I have just been washing with hot and then rinsing twice with cold. Is that a bad idea? I just think the 2 washes and extra rinse are too onerous.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wash all of my diapers together, Kushies AIO, BG pocket, BG AIO, Flip, SweetDoll Baby Pocket, Bummi covers, and some no-name flannel fitteds. I do 1 hot rinse, 1 hot wash, 1 cold rinse and line dry, every 2-3 days although it has on occasion been longer. I use purex hypo-allergenic free and clear. I have been doing this for 6 months and just yesterday stripped my diapers for the first time.
#3 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i think i have gone longer than two days....I wash them all when I'm running low (I have about 20 BGS, give or take). We keep the dirty dipes right next to the washer (which is in our bathroom) in a hamper lined with a swaddlebees wet bag, and even after two or three days, it doesn't stink. no one has ever said they could smell poo or pee.

As for washing, I do a cold rinse followed by two washes and two rinses on the hot/cold cycle. Yes, it is a lot of washing and rinsing and we haven't received our first water bill since DD was born, but the double wash and rinse is the only way to get the stink out. I also use Charlie's Soap. For the first rinse, I use one scoop, and for the double wash/rinse cycle, I use two scoops. That's what works for me.

I like doing the initial rinse because it gets all the slimy poo out and then you're starting with more stripped down diapers for the next wash, kwim?
#4 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what does it mean to strip them?

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#5 of 7 Old 07-14-2010, 05:00 PM

just rinsing them multiple times on extremely hot water to make sure all the detergent/laundry soap reisdue is out. I did like an extra 4 rinses on hot at the end.
#6 of 7 Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM

My best advise with anything microfiber is to rinse rinse rinse in hot water.

When I used bg and the microfiber inserts (I pf in them now for nap and bed and pf the rest of the time) I would do the cold wash to get all the pee and poo out. Then a hot wash with soap and I noticed that if I stopped the washer and let everything soak it really helped get the poo smell out (I use charlies soap). Then hot washes with no soap till there are no suds then dry however you want.

No stripping in 2 yrs with this system!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#7 of 7 Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 AM

I wash my bg's ever 3-5 days whenever I have a full load. I wash once on cold/cold w/ soap and then once on hot/cold w/o (theres usually still suds floating around at the start of it, so its not completely w/o...). The cold/cold wash keeps stains to a minimum.

Occasionally (maybe once every 3 or 4 months?) I add a little bleach to the hot/cold and then do one more hot/cold wash to make sure its all rinsed out. Good luck!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page