*STILL* looking for a nighttime dipe that won't leak with a heavy wetting, nursing toddler. *Sigh* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 07-25-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've tried Bum Genius 3.0 with both the suede cloth AND fleece lining, stuffed with Indian cotton prefolds, BG microfiber inserts, and/or a Super Do. I've tried Flip covers stuffed with a Super Do inside an insert sock, prefolds inside an insert sock, BG microfiber inserts inside an insert sock, and two Flip stay-dry inserts back to back. We had a few nights with the Flip cover/Super Do/insert sock combo with no leaks, but I think those nights were miracles or flukes.

NOTHING works with any kind of consistency, and DD is awful when I have to change her clothes and dipe in the middle of the night. I end up leaving her soaking wet and wrapping her in receiving blankets and prefolds to soak up the pee from her sleeper, to avoid the trauma of the diaper change.

So, I caved and bought a package of Earth's Best sposies. I am not happy about it, but I tried and tried and I am so tired of the leaking. I really want to do cloth full time, 100%, but not with leaks like this. Nights are hard enough!

I've been looking at Lollidoo overnight pockets, thinking they might be the Holy Grail of nighttime diapers. But I am also looking at the five Super Dos and insert socks that I bought, and wondering if everything else I try will end up in a drawer, unused, due to leakage. It's so much money to spend to keep trying and trying.

What WORKS with a toddler for overnight, ALL NIGHT, like 12 hours, while still nursing (and peeing) frequently? Help!

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 41 Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We have good luck with the Rumparooz one size with both sets of stuffers inside. We also do well with Knickernappies (the 2.0 size large) with two of the loopy-do inserts. Any other diaper and we have to change all the bedding nightly. Unfortunately the Rumparooz are getting too small (they look like bikinis and sometimes you get some plumbers crack action ) so I am getting a few more Knickernappies.

This is not my favorite.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#3 of 41 Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 PM

what about a fitted diaper with an extra doubler and wool cover?

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#4 of 41 Old 07-25-2010, 10:09 PM

We used Sandy's Mother-ease fitted diapers with insert(s) and either wool longies or the Mother-ease side snapping PUL covers. I *really* love those diapers!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#5 of 41 Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 PM

I can commiserate... we are still trying to figure it out! Right now we are using an insert sock with 2 MF inserts and 1 hemp insert under a blueberry coverall. It works 90 percent of the time. I ordered 2 disana wool covers (the pull on kind) and some happy hempys pockets to try... I will let you know how it goes!! Remember you can always sell stuff that doesn't work out for you!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#6 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 12:47 AM

Have you tried fleece pockets? DryBees is supposed to be good. Also, fitteds are really good as well. There are toddler sized fitteds at Piddle Poodle.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#7 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 AM

we went through a brief time where NOTHING worked. I finally made her butt super huge with a nice mix of some mf inserts, two prefolds, a flat, and an extra cotton insert under a wool cover.

yeah, her butt was crazy big but it didn't seem to bother her and she'd wake up with a dry bed. I'm pretty ecstatic that she barely pee's at night anymore...
#8 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 AM

My DS is 23mo & a very heavy night wetter. With sposies I use either 3 huggies night time diapes or 2 of these diapes with a hemp insert. Its a PIA.

Since switching to cloth we have had no leaks

I use a Happy Hempy pocket diap with 1 Hemp Stuffin, 1 MF insert, 1 hemp doubler & 1 small Indian PF. All of that is wrapped in a So Simple cover. In the middle of the night I feel how wet it is & I can then just lay a doubler in there on top of everything. The cuff of the cover is stretchy enough were I dont have to even open it to do so.

I do plan on getting some of the fleece dancing bears covers tho for more breathability.
Good Luck!

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#9 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM

We use FuzziBunz PS and OS with a hemp doubler and they work great! Every once in awhile they leak if the dipes need to be stripped, but other than that I can leave DD in them all night, no prob. And the hemp doublers are so thin that if need be, you could always add another one without adding a bunch of extra bulk.

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
#10 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Sounds like you have a really heavy wetter. I know that none of the things you mentioned would keep my heavy wetter dry either.

For us, the only thing that works is a Happy Hempy with the stay-dry inner. It's stuffed with 2 infant pfs (1 Bummis and 1 UtN, both of which are more absorbent than Cloth-Eez), and a Babykicks Hemparoo Doubler folded in half into his wet zone. It makes for a very big butt, and he can't really crawl or sit with it on, but it gets us through the night with a dry bed. I put a Mommy's Touch OS or a Babyology Wool cover over it. The entire diaper is sopping wet by morning, but the bed is dry.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#11 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

OP here. Whoa. It seems like everyone does a mix of different dipes. I was really hoping for an overwhelming response of "just use THIS ONE DIAPER." Boo.

As for heavy wetting, I think so. I mean, the size 4 Earth's Best sposie is almost all the way maxed out by morning, maybe an inch or two of dry dipe at the very upper back. (Whoever told me girls wet in the back was wrong...mine wets in the front, somehow.)

Sometimes she wets through the dipe, but sometimes the dipe just leaks, even when it's not full. I have done a bit of bleach and also a few drops of Dawn in my wash routine, so I don't know. This is so frustrating. So many inserts and layers sounds like a bit of a pain, to be honest. And if *I* think that, I know my DH will not want to do it. He usually puts on the nighttime dipe and her sleeper after her bath.

I will look into Happy Hempy's though, since they have been mentioned a few times.

#12 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM

My DH does the night time diapering too... that is why I like the happy hempys because I stuff them and all he does is velcro on the fitted and pull on a cover

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#13 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds like a good plan. Would my SuperDos be too much inside a HHempy fitted?

What cover? Dancing Bears (or another fleece brand?) Thirsties Duo? My Flips? I don't think I can afford wool.

#14 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM

I think your Super Dos would fit just fine in the HH pocket I can fit just baout anything in them... we have a super do and an extra hemp in there last night!! I would get a pull on style cover, I find it help keep in leaks up the front better or on the sides if your baby sleeps in weird positions... mine sleep in all sorts of weird piles. I LOVE my dancing bears covers... love love love. I also have the same style cover (a pull on) in wool... the Disana wool pull on covers are only about 25 dollars new, so like 7 more dollars than the dancing bears. I think either of those options would be good! Thought if you can afford the wool I think that would be a slightly better option for a super heavy wetter...

#15 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
That sounds like a good plan. Would my SuperDos be too much inside a HHempy fitted?

What cover? Dancing Bears (or another fleece brand?) Thirsties Duo? My Flips? I don't think I can afford wool.
yeah, the HH is a pocket fitted, so if you stuff it out of the laundry basket, its a really easy-on.

Weve used Mommy's Touch OS cover over a med HH - not sure it would work over a lg. When its doublestuffed, you need a larger cover. Ill also point out that I paid about 15 for my babyology wool soaker, which has been bulletproof, and pd 12 for my Pipers Closet wool flannel cover (custom-sized, also bulletproof).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#16 of 41 Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
So many inserts and layers sounds like a bit of a pain, to be honest. And if *I* think that, I know my DH will not want to do it. He usually puts on the nighttime dipe and her sleeper after her bath.

I will look into Happy Hempy's though, since they have been mentioned a few times.
It's really not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
My DH does the night time diapering too... that is why I like the happy hempys because I stuff them and all he does is velcro on the fitted and pull on a cover
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
yeah, the HH is a pocket fitted, so if you stuff it out of the laundry basket, its a really easy-on.
This is what I do too!

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#17 of 41 Old 07-27-2010, 12:18 AM

I was having that issue with Jude and tried everything. A prefold with the newborn bumGenius insert works but is super bulky. What I've been using with no problems for months now is a one-size diaper stuffed with the bg one-size insert and a hemp doubler.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#18 of 41 Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would absolutely recommend the Dancing Bears fleece cover, nighttime weight. That's the only thing that has worked for us. You have a lot of flexibility with what you put under it - we use the GAD one-size fitted, stuffed with a hemp insert, but the cover is so bulletproof it almost doesn't matter what you use. The Dancing Bears covers are sized really generously so you shouldn't have a problem getting one to fit your toddler. They're bulky but we just use it like PJ bottoms, and put a t-shirt on DS. And the fleece is so nice because you can just wash/dry it with the rest of your diapers, no special treatment.
#19 of 41 Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

When I said I thought it was a pain to use all those layers, I didn't realize that you all were stuffing them in a pocket. That I can totally do right out of the dryer. I thought you meant three or four loose layers stacked up, which my DH would never do. But stuffed? Totally!

So...I ordered three Happy Hempys and one Dancing Bear night time fleece soaker. Fingers crossed! I plan to stuff the HH with my Super Dos. DD is 23lbs, so I ordered a medium because it says they run big. Overall, a bit pricey, but worth it if they work.

I love the idea of a wool pull-on as well, but I think right now the fleece is a bit easier for me, maintenance-wise. The wool sounds lovely, but if I messed up lanolinizing or felting I'd be so mad at myself.

Geez. I wish I knew all this stuff a year ago.

#20 of 41 Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
When I said I thought it was a pain to use all those layers, I didn't realize that you all were stuffing them in a pocket. That I can totally do right out of the dryer. I thought you meant three or four loose layers stacked up, which my DH would never do. But stuffed? Totally!

So...I ordered three Happy Hempys and one Dancing Bear night time fleece soaker. Fingers crossed! I plan to stuff the HH with my Super Dos. DD is 23lbs, so I ordered a medium because it says they run big. Overall, a bit pricey, but worth it if they work.

I love the idea of a wool pull-on as well, but I think right now the fleece is a bit easier for me, maintenance-wise. The wool sounds lovely, but if I messed up lanolinizing or felting I'd be so mad at myself.

Geez. I wish I knew all this stuff a year ago.
I hope it works for you!!! I love my Dancing Bears covers A medium should fit well... DS2 is 25/26 pounds and wearing a medium comfortably! And yeah, all those layers would be a HUGE pain not stuff in something!!

#21 of 41 Old 07-28-2010, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
I hope it works for you!!! I love my Dancing Bears covers A medium should fit well... DS2 is 25/26 pounds and wearing a medium comfortably!
My DS is 25 pounds and wears a medium as well. Hope it works for you, we love ours. We use it every night!
#22 of 41 Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I hope so, too. Pull-on covers seem like a no-brainer, whether wool or fleece. I wonder why I didn't know this from the beginning? I guess maybe because some people do have "daytime" dipes that seem to work fine at night.

I *just* bought her two new sleepers and removed the tags. I don't think her fluffy bum will fit under them. Boo. I really want it to work, and I really want my DH to think it's easy, and a good idea. Right now he's a "oh, let's just use a sposie" kind of guy.

#23 of 41 Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM

For what its worth... we can't use jammies over our pull on fleece or wool because we get compression leaks (mostly with the fleece on that one) plus they are just too bulky!! We do the cover with a t shirt (either long or short sleeve) and now that my kids are older they keep blankets on so it isn't really an issue. We do use baby legs though if it is really chilly so keep their legs warm. I think I need to get some longies or something for this winter, but that can wait a bit

Also, my DH thinks the pre-stuffed fitted and pull on cover is easier than anything else we were using. No snaps to mess with, just velcro that is super easy to get a good fit with and a cover that pulls on like pants would. Doesn't get much simpler than that! Plus, he likes that he doesn't come home every day to me complaining about how I had to wash and change sheets again!!

#24 of 41 Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM

i know your not looking for sposies, but im not a cloth diaperer, im too much of a poo wimp but i find pampers the most absorbent, the 12 hour nighttime ones work so well, they suck it all right up. Huggies suck, they always leak, I use the costco kirkland sig's regularly, their pretty good too, pampers are too expensive, but they work well, they have a nauseating fragrance which is the downside, just a suggestion, its only one diaper a night

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#25 of 41 Old 07-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianhippie View Post
i know your not looking for sposies, but im not a cloth diaperer, im too much of a poo wimp but i find pampers the most absorbent, the 12 hour nighttime ones work so well, they suck it all right up. Huggies suck, they always leak, I use the costco kirkland sig's regularly, their pretty good too, pampers are too expensive, but they work well, they have a nauseating fragrance which is the downside, just a suggestion, its only one diaper a night
My little guy had a bad reaction to the pampers. They worked but he got what looked like a burn on his butt!!! It was BAD!!!!

Anyway, I ordered the LolliDoo and will try them wen they get here. I'm hoping they work. If they do it will be worth the $$$.
#26 of 41 Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 PM

My son si 16mths old and a heavy wetter at night. He still takes a bottle before bed, so I believe that's why. Just prefolds with a soaker and cover didn't work. Plus, he would get up whenever his diaper was wet, so I too started using sposies at night, which worked - he started sleeping through the night too.

Well I've switched back to cloth for him at night and found two things so far that work.

1. Bumgenius AIO with fleece liner and a hemp insert.
2. Babykicks pocket diaper OSFA with a hemp insert.

Ive only done it two nights now, but wow what a difference. No leaks, he still sleeps through the night, and I love them.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#27 of 41 Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 PM

I've got my kids in Happy Hempys pockets with Disana wool pull ons tonight... the pockets are stuffed with 2 MF and 1 hemp insert each. I am a little worried I didn't lanolize my covers right since I have never done it before and their butts look kinda funny but I will let you know how it works!

#28 of 41 Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Banned

We found times when DD just leaked at night! She was pretty skinny so that didn't help, but a big pee-er too! What worked for us was just putting a babyology wool cover over her bumgenius 2.0. Dipe would be soaked but her legs would be dry, no more redness from the pee, and it kept it contained. Right now I'd try a KaWaii goodnight heavy duty with a babyology wool cover over it.
#29 of 41 Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 PM

The wool worked well on my older son, not as well on my younger. I think the fact that my younger son drank 28 ozs of water last night (4 28 oz cups) really didn't help any though I lanolized again today and will try again tonight...

#30 of 41 Old 07-30-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

See, that's why I went with the Dancing Bears fleece soaker. First off, the pull-on style seems great (it hasn't arrived yet) and the easy maintenance is key for me. Maybe down the line I can add a wool soaker, but the chance *I* may mess up lanolizing the cover makes me afraid. I don't need more disappointment. Or soaking wet sheets. So, you are brave Chely. I hope it works for you tonight!

Did you boil your Happy Hempys? I learned my hemp lesson with my Super Dos...hemp needs lots of prep. I'm just not sure if you can boil HHs because they have Aplix. Maybe several hot washes, I'd think, before I'd be brave enough to try it at night.

I am patiently waiting for my Happy Hempys and Dancing Bear to arrive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page