Let's Talk CDs! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright mamas---I am a recent CD convert! We decided to try them out on our 20 month old figuring he'd be easier than starting fresh on a newborn. We have 6 Flip covers and 3 dozen prefolds, and I totally love this system.

I know that the Flips might be a bit bulky on a teeny newborn, although I'm expecting about an 8 lb baby (DS1 was 6-14, DS2 was 7-10) and my kids tend to gain weight super fast (both were at 18 by 6 months, and then have essentially stopped gaining weight since then). So I'm thinking that we won't really be in a newborn sized diaper for too long.

Do you guys think I could get away with just adding a few more covers (maybe Flips) and using prefolds with a snappy? Assuming washing every 2-3 days, how many diapers do you need for a newborn---3 dozen? How many covers?

We think this could be our last (although I'm pretty sure we'll end up with 4 by the time we're done) so I really don't want to spend a ton of money....I really love the idea of spending another $200 max. My current stash of prefolds are from Nicki's---they are the Imagines in size large---so I assume I'll have to get some size smalls and mediums...

I'll take any suggestions I can get!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#2 of 5 Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 AM

My Little One is 3 weeks old, my first, and we are CDing. We use prefolds w/snappi and PUL covers. I have 3 dozen prefolds, 3 bummis super whisper wraps, and 2 Thirsties V2. I like the Thirsties better, they can be wiped clean and the gussets help contain everything better; plus they are a bit bigger - will fit longer and are easier to put on. I do CD laundry every other day.

Hope this helps. Try searching for newborn CD on google; I read a great article before she was born - but I can't/don't have time to find it again now.
#3 of 5 Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't tried the Flip diapers. I would say 2-3 dozen are more than enough. I had about 2 of BG and Kissaluvs with my last kiddo and that was more than adequate. I am using prefolds, kissaluv 0's, thirsties covers, BG AIO, and a couple jamtots and Holden's Landing dipes this time.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-09-2010, 01:01 PM

we loved GMD orange edge prefolds with our newborn dd with thirsties xs covers. great combo, no leaks. if you go with yellow edge right away instead (we bought 3 dozen of each GMD size because we know we want at least 4 kids...and she was our first), you could definitely buy just those and smaller covers (maybe thirsties duo in size one) and get by with that plus what you have. Or you could buy both orange and yellow and smaller covers all for under $200 (maybe 1 or 2 dozen orange, 3 dozen yellow, 5 thirsties duo size 1?) In general, the Green Mountain Diapers website is a goldmine of information about prefold use and sizing. hope that helps!

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#5 of 5 Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

With breastfed babies is it reasonable to assume 5 or 6 diaper covers? I'm just not sure how well the pudding poo will be contained!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page