Need advice: which wool cover and fitted diaper for night! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas-

So lately my old standby of whatever PUL cover we used during the day with a prefold and flip insert is not working anymore for my 6 month heavy wetting/all night nursing little girl and I am tired of washing our sheets!

After exploring ideas I think I want to go wool cover with fitted diaper and probably some kind of extra insert as well.

So I need some ideas please!

My girl has some healthy thighs and so the cover needs to account for that.

TIA can't wait to hear your ideas, I always get great direction on these boards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM

We love our Disana pull ons over a Happy Hempys stuffable fitted

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Our favorite was Little Beetle hemp fitteds with Aristocrats covers. When he got bigger (more pee) we started stuffing the diapers with an extra insert or newborn prefold trifolded in there. Never had a leak with those, but I have to say I'm not impressed with how well the LBs held up to washing. They are definitely a one-child diaper. (They still work, but are full of holes, and the velcros is coming off most of them, so I doubt they'd fully survive a second kid, but maybe...)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM

love the Lana pull up. It fits over all styles of diapers, and would work for chunky legs!

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 PM

Happy hempy pocket fitted is really the only thing that gets us through the night. Babyology covers are great, double knit and far cheaper than most other options. We did have to size up to cover the extra bulk of a double-stuffed night-time dipe.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 PM

Happy hempy pocket fitted is really the only thing that gets us through the night. Babyology covers are great, double knit and far cheaper than most other options. We did have to size up to cover the extra bulk of a double-stuffed night-time dipe.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 AM

We do a prefold with a prefold doubler (folded on the short side) under a pair of knit longies. It's the only thing that hasn't leaked for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

Homebirthing, breastfeading, co-sleeping mamma to dd born 12/8/2009, married to the love of my life.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:26 AM

Bububebe with either aristocrat or royal buns covers. The bububebes have 3 separate snap in liners; during the day I tend to use one or two, but at night I use all 3. I wouldn't say that she's a heavy wetter, but she is seventeen months.

Erica
Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Wool is amazing especially for overnight. I've always found that 2 bamboo nappies works better than trying to v=boost one overnight, and with a wool cover, the combo cant be beaten. 

I'm a woolly WAHM and so many people have asked me how wool nappy covers  work I thought I'd post this explanation.

Wool is absorbent, but absorbs very slowly. Because of the body heat of your baby, and the warmth of the wool, it also evaporates, and this happens at the same rate as it absorbs. When evaporation takes place, the wet is turned into gasses. Most people think this will besteam, but in fact it's not. Steam is created when evaporated water condenses again, and this happens when the air containing the evaporated gasses, hits something cold, and there is enough wet in it to saturate the air. (This is called the dew point)
If you have a PUL wrap, the inside of the PUL will not let the wet get any further, so the amount of evaporated gasses builds up, and also because PUL has a cold feel, the saturated air will cause wet to condense again, and get absorbed back into the nappy. This doesn't happen with wool, because it is warm, and can breath, so "dew point" is never reached, and  the gasses continue one their journey, unrestricted by the wool , baby clothes, bedding etc. It will finally condense possiby when it hits the window of your baby's room in winter, but basically the amount of wet in the air never gets high enough to cause a dew point.

Lanolising used to be a bit complicated, but now you can get soluble lanolin, it is simple - almost like using a fabric softener, although they need to be left to soak in it for a while.

User Tag List