first solid food poop - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-18-2004, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

My ds#2 just started solids (rice cereal and avocado) this week. What's the best way to deal with this pasty poop? I'm using mostly FBs and some prefolds with Bumpy or Bummis covers.

I didn't have to deal with it with DS#1, since we used a diaper service back then.
#2 of 10 Old 03-18-2004, 09:03 PM

Singing the praises of MINISHOWERS!
#3 of 10 Old 03-18-2004, 09:48 PM

Gosh, luckily it didn't last long for us...we went to bm poops, to pasty, and now potty training part time.

DD didn't start solids till about 13 months, and I just used tp to pick off whatever was semi-solid, then I did dunk a few times.

I bought some flushable paper liners once, but decided the expense wasn't worth it, as I'd try to time her poops and stick the liners in.

a gal online I know said she uses a spatula to scrape it off.
#4 of 10 Old 03-18-2004, 09:56 PM

What happens if you just bump off whatever is loose and then throw the rest in the washer?

Milo is six months and I tried to introduced him to food a couple of weeks ago and he was not interested. Phew! (A study came out a few mos ago saying that babies who are genetically susceptible (sp?) to type I diabetes, which, being related to me, he is are less likely to get it if introduced to gluten containing grains between six and seven mos. Otherwise I'd like to wait til he's two. )

I was also wondering -- because of my diabetes I am not inclined to give him very dense carb foods, like rice cereal. Does anyone know if when you are feeding them only fruits and veggies if the poo is easier to deal with? I could also imagine it being worse. On the other hand I could probably get him to make some really easy poop with just meat and cheese and no carbs at all there. :LOL But I spose I should put his needs before mine. :

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#5 of 10 Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 AM

I love my minishower! I've never had one before this baby and don't know how I lived without one before. My girl eats her solids sporadically so has bm poop one time, then peanut butter the next, then the occasional rolls right off kind. The minishower rinses off everything with no problems!
#6 of 10 Old 03-19-2004, 12:56 AM

I've had my mini shower sitting in a box for a month now- waiting on DH to hook it up for me. I'd do it myself if I weren't so stinkin' busy!

Anyway, DS still has mostly runny half digested poops. I wipe off what I can and just throw the rest right in the wash. Watch out for grape & bean skins thought
#7 of 10 Old 03-19-2004, 12:56 AM

sorry, 'though'
#8 of 10 Old 03-19-2004, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

ugh, I don't have a minishower. I'm wondering if I can just do a separate prewash of the poopy dipes before throwing 'em in with the rest?
#9 of 10 Old 03-19-2004, 11:57 PM

I don't think that you'd need to! Try it once and see what happens. Just get the chunks off (sorry, TMI?) I had a hard time with this too. I used to wash out the poopies in the toilet using some oxygen bleach and wearing rubber gloves! My toilet was sparkling but my diapers were swampy. Sitting in the pail wet and half poopy until wash day made them actually more stinky.
#10 of 10 Old 03-20-2004, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I just prewashed 2 poopy diapers (one FB and one PF). I only half-heartedly tried to wipe off the poop with TP before I prewashed them. I'll never tell my husband, there were little chunks of poop left on the inside of the washer tub, even after the spin cycle! I had to reach into the washer tub and wipe 'em off before I threw the rest of the dipes in.

I can't continue to do this... looks like I'll have to go the dunk method or the minishower unless someone has another idea!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page