Rate My Stash? (total newbie) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-25-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to babies and new to cloth, obviously.

I'm more concerned about the newborn and baby stage. We're trying all different kinds and brands to see what we like to buy more of as she grows. I can list the brands we have, but wasn't sure it was needed. We want to avoid laundry every day, so shooting for every other day. Will this accomplish that? TIA for any advice!

One Size- 17 (4 AIO, 6 Pockets, 7 Fitteds)

Small Size- 17 (8 AIO, 3 Fitteds, 6 Pockets)

Newborn Size- 1 (AIO)

Infant Indian Prefolds- 42

Covers- 9 (5 Newborn, 4 Small)

Snappis- 1

I know we need a few more Snappi's. And I have a bid on ebay for 6 Thirsties size One covers. Or is 9 covers ok? We're going to get some cloth wipes, but will probably start off with mostly sposie wipes.

TIA!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#2 of 12 Old 08-25-2010, 02:48 PM

If you have the money for it, definitely get the covers. I like having as many as I can because it's nice to air the pee ones out b/w uses and there is a good chance newborn poo will get on them very often. 9 covers is definitely okay though.

I think your stash looks good. You might even be able to do laundry every 3 days, although I've found the diapers get the cleanest if I only do a days worth in the washer at at time. I usually do 2-3 loads on the days I do the diapers.

For cloth wipes, you can just buy (or register for) baby washcloths. Our wipes are all homemade flannel. I say for sure use cloth wipes at home, that way everything can just go right in the diaper pail. I do use disposable wipes out and about. Then usually end up washing them...good quality wipes actually hold up well in the washer and dryer.

Mama to three

#3 of 12 Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM

I am pretty new to cloth too. My little one just cleared 10 pounds, and I just moved up from the orange edge Indian prefolds to the yellow edge. (I got my from Green Mountain Diaper if you want to compare sizes).

We bought 3 dozen of each size prefold, and I do diaper laundry every other day. We have 5 thirsties V2 covers, XS, and I also had 2 Bummis super whisper wraps, newborn, to start. The Bummis wraps are out now (they don't fit with the yellow edge). I'm going to pick up a couple of more covers soon. Right now I occasionally have to hand wash a cover or two if she has a lot of messy poops.

I have 7 pocket diapers that we use when we go out (got second hand), not that we are getting out a lot (she is extremely fussy).

So I would say that you have plenty. I change my little one about 15 times per day. Some of my changes are not necessary (only a tiny bit of pee for example), but for some reason changing her calms her down.

Also, we have only used 1 snappi so far (I bought a 3 pack); though probably best to have at least one more on hand in case the first breaks or gets lost.
#4 of 12 Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow, you should be set. i agree with pp, you don't want to let dirty diapers sit too long.
i've gone 7m with one snappi, so i wouldn't worry right now about more.
i think you should be ok with covers. lots of times you can make do with sm covers as backups for newborn. as in it's not perfect, but doable till you can get to doing wash. i had 3nb and 2sm covers and it worked great for several months.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#5 of 12 Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM

Looks like plenty to me for washing every other day (you might even fit in an extra day in there if you needed).
#6 of 12 Old 08-25-2010, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks everyone! I feel great about it now. It's quite addicting to gather and hoard these fun cute things. Luckily ebay and craigslist have been good to me so I haven't spent near as much as I thought I would have to. I appreciate the feedback!!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#7 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 PM

looks good as long as your babe is atleast 8lbs. My DD was only 5lbs at birth & it took a while for her to get big enough for infant sized prefolds. If you want to start cding from day 1 I'd suggest getting some nb/preme sized prefolds. They are not that expensive & can later be used as doublers.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#8 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 08:12 PM

My 8 lbr didnt fit into even NB covers until he was almost 3 mos. Luckily i had 1 preemie cover to get us through.

Honestly, i hated pfs on a nb. We had fitteds that were much easier for me to handle with no sleep.

I think a few more of something in a nb size would be a good idea.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 PM

or get flats if you are worried about diapers for the >8 pound time period. My kiddo was just barely over 8 pounds and some of the OS stuff was a bit too bulky for my liking. Shape does have to do with it though.

Flats are a great diaper to have on hand though... they can be used for a ton of stuff just like prefolds and I use mine as inserts and doublers too. napkins, blankets, whatever.

but yes, you don't want diapers sitting too long You definitely have the right AMOUNT if not necessarily the best size options. You might not be bothered by bulky though so maybe your sizes will be just fine
#10 of 12 Old 08-26-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on the NB size, everyone!! I hate not knowing if I'll like prefolds on newborns. It's trial and error, I guess. So, I guess I'll get some newborn prefolds and try that and if I don't like them I guess I could always buy some NB or premie fitteds once she's here.

#11 of 12 Old 08-27-2010, 11:00 AM

I am pretty new to CDing. Cian was born one month ago. He was 6-14 at birth and 6-7 when we came home. The one size diapers were very bulky on him until about 2 wks ago when he was over 8 lbs. some are still bulky but I am used to the fluffy butt now. I found that sm sposoeasy fit him well. We never got anything in NB size (even clothes) b/c my other boys were 8-14 and 8-4 and never wore NB sizes. The OS Thirsties duo sz 1 is actually pretty small. We used it on the smallest size for only about 2 wks. Now that he is over 9lb we use the 2nd setting. I love PFs with covers. we only have one snappi and have not had a problem. I really want more b/c I lose everything but so far so good. You are WAY better off then me but I have had to be frugal lately. We bought a few on ebay but the others were from FSOT on DS. you would laugh at the stash I have but I still only do laundry every other day. I did score a ton of PFs but I am currently trying to sell some b/c we have way too many. I will keep about 2 dozen. I am trying to amp my stash but I am having a hard time with the cost I also love wool!!! I am toying with recycled wool from sweaters from Good Will and I have knit a few wraps.

Not sure if I helped any but there you go.

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
#12 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 11:09 PM

I think you have a great beginner stash for a newborn. More covers can't hurt, for sure, though.

I have about 2 dozen flat folds, a dozen or so prefolds, and various inserts, plus about 10 covers (most which can be wiped or aired out), plus two fitteds and a couple pocket diapers for those newborn/small baby booties. You have WAY more than that, and I think you will most definitely be able to wash every other day.

You shouldn't need more snappis. I have two- and one is mainly just a back-up in case I lose the other. You can easily rinse them if they get dirty.

You might want a couple pins, just in case. Sometimes pinning a diaper (especially on a newborn) is easier than snappis. (Sometimes I just need one pin in the middle for a newborn.)

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page