What am I doing wrong? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at my wit's end. My prefolds are very pilly (more with every wash) and rough and scratchy.

They are unbleached organic GMD prefolds and some bleached Osocozys. All were purchased new just about a month ago. They were all a little pilly after prepping, and definitely a lot softer.

I tried: less/more water/diapers/detergent in different combinations, doing another (or two) rinses, etc. It seems like the more rinses I do the rougher the diapers get(?). I use Planets powder that's supposed to be good for washing diapers.

Is there something else I can try? The only thing I can think of is that our washer (shared, I live in an apartment building) doesn't really wash in hot water on hot, it's a mixture of hot and warm. But that probably doesn't matter. I also almost always try and wash some of our other laundry right before, to get rid of at least some build up or left over detergent/fabric softener.

I didn't use vinegar yet.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 01:45 AM

Do you have access to a dryer? Even if you just pop them in for a few after they've air dried, it makes all the difference.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
Old 08-28-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I do dry them in the drier. (

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 08-29-2010, 05:45 AM

I would try the vinegar. It really can make a big difference, although since you're using shared facilities, it may always be a bit of a problem.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM

I second the vinegar suggestion. It's the only fabric softener I use.

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

Old 08-29-2010, 03:35 PM

Are you washing them with the covers? If you dont make sure the laundry tabs are folded in all the way, it could cause them to be pilly. I also think vinegar might help.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, just prefolds. Well, Gerber washcloths as well which we use as wipes. Once I somehow managed to get them sort of soft but IMO didn't do anything different? I tried vinegar in the last wash, it helped maybe a teeny bit, but they're still pretty crunchy. I'll probably try to up the detergent. Absolutely no suds when I do an extra hot rinse so I don't think I'm using too much. I wonder what's causing all the piling? It's worse and worse! It doesn't seem like there are too many prefolds in the washer. I even tried less or more but it made no difference. Either way, more pills.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 PM

IME prefolds are not as soft as what I thought they should be/how soft my moms were. They will get slightly softer with time and I remember mine piled and that got better with time. I think with more time you will be happier with them but they won't be soft like flannel or something similar at least in my experience.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 09-01-2010, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
pics pics pics!!

I have to see this, it sounds like you are doing the best you can. Maybe if we see it we will be like "oh yeah, that's your muffler bearings" or whatever

My only suggestion is something in your W/D that is pulling at them? Try washing at the laundry mat and see if you notice a difference? Seems like the only constant is the machine.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Seems like the only constant is the machine.
See thats the thing that stuck out to me as well. Have you physically checked the machines/dryers? Like literally run your hand along the agitator? I had a problem a few yrs back with mystery holes until I figured out our agitator blade had a small nick in it and it was snagging/tearing clothes. Might help to try another laundry mat it just might be your apt water/machines.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have inspected the washers - we have 3. All different, too. Nothing broken inside on either of them. The more I wash them the more pilly and rough they get, now even vinegar won't do anything. I just don't get it. DD also started having rashes (could be her teething as well though). There should be no build up on them, if washed on hot w/o detergent, no suds come out. I'm a little ashamed to say I'm almost ready to go back to disposables. Easier, a lot cheaper in our case and most of all, no rashes. Oh and it almost seems like the more I rinse the crunchier they become.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just really sad...

Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 PM

How often do you wash, and how many are you washing at once? Try smaller loads... with more room to move around, there shouldn't be as much friction and it shouldn't pill as much. Also, if the washclothes are fuzzy or linting a lot, maybe wash those separately? It might be worth shaving off the pills with those little fuzz-buster things, because pills beget more pills.

Also, try tennis balls or those dryer balls in the dryer to help with the crunchiness.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 AM

Do you know if you have hard water?

Noelia- mama to 4
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 PM

I second PP's comment-- I had to use extra water softener with my CDs. Vinegar in the final rinse and dryer helped too.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 AM

Try adding a cup of baking soda to the wash (you can still use vinegar to rinse). If your water is hard, the baking soda will soften it and should also help the detergent to suds. I've found baking soda helps soften my mama cloth when I wash them.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe check if anyone else is having issues with the unbleached organics? Maybe because they are unbleached the are rougher? We only have the bleached and haven't had problems. I am going to take a pic of my GMDs, the well well well loved and the newer ones, so you can compare.
The one on the right is forever loved, and still doesn't look pilly to me
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/DSCF2092.jpg

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Old 09-13-2010, 12:25 AM

I agree--

a cup or more of baking soda in the wash, and at least 1/2 cup of vinegar in the final rinse (in each rinse?).

My guess is you have VERY hard water.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Maybe check if anyone else is having issues with the unbleached organics? Maybe because they are unbleached the are rougher? We only have the bleached and haven't had problems. I am going to take a pic of my GMDs, the well well well loved and the newer ones, so you can compare.
The one on the right is forever loved, and still doesn't look pilly to me
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/DSCF2092.jpg
I have diapers that are only a yr old in a huge stash and they look worse than you well loved diaper on the right! What in the world? Luckily my girl is almost potty trained and we are not planning any more kids but I am kinda bummed.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 09-14-2010, 01:35 PM

i have the GMD unbleached and they look like the well loved ones from a pp pic. no pilling. i use baking soda or borax in my wash with my detergent. i use most of a cup os vinegar in a downy ball for the rinse cycle. i use a cold rinse. then hot wash with borax and detergent. then cold rinse with vinegar. i add a second rinse to get the vinegar out. then i hang to dry in the sun or dry in the dryer. the sun dried ones are a little rough but the dryer dried ones are soft and squishy.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

I apologize for not replying, I never checked any replies past my last one.  oops.gif  Thank you all!!!

I'm STILL working on softening them up...can you believe it?  I just can't give up! shrug.gif 

They're getting so much worse!  I'm usually washing less diaper than before, but they seemed to have gradually gone away on their own.  But boy are they rough!!!  I have tried vinegar, as much as 1c, in the last rinse - no difference. Not slight.  I have tried Borax.  Calgon.  Nothing.  I dried on hot, medium, even delicate, and use dryer balls (only 2, have to buy more).

I'm again stripping with Calgon tommorrow.  I DID get bubbles when I used Calgon - but when I'm done rinsing (It's true I only did 3 rinses - could that be why?) I have no suds.  And they came out rougher than ever.  I don't understand.

We have VERY hard water according to a chart. 

I'm reading conflicting info on Borax.  Some swear by it, others say they would never use it as it's very toxic. 

My last resort is - Ecover.  Haven't bought it yet.  I was trying to avoid a fabric softener.  But when our prefolds are getting rougher each time I wash them...my poor baby...ouch! mecry.gif

Old 03-18-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yes Yes Yes I have finally done it!  Borax did nothing, Calgon did nothing.  Ecover definitely made them softer but, only by a little, because I only used a very small amount of it.  BUT using a small amount of Calgon with every wash has solved my problem.  I don't even need to use Ecover anymore!!!!!!!!!  Now I'm waiting for a portable washer so I don't have to spend a fortune on a coin-op machine numerous times a week. 

I'm so happy!!!  They're sooooo soft and fluffy!  Hope it lasts! joy.gif

Old 03-19-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm having the same problem! But strangely only with my orange edge GMD prefolds, not my yellow! Now the yellow haven't been washed quite as often, but not far off. Did your baby's diaper rash clear up once you sorted the problem? My little guy has been getting one recently and I was wondering if it was the prefolds or something else (eg my diet). So Calgon is a water softener? I wonder if we have that here or not - I'll have a look. And you use a little in each wash? We probably won't be using the orange edge much longer so I wasn't too worried about it, but am worried it'll start happening to the yellow ones if it's something to do with how we are washing them! :(

User Tag List