heat rash in diaper area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-03-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cross posted in Toddlers

For the past few days my 17 month old has had a rash that varies in intensity. The only part that looks sore is his diaper area, where it is red and dried out looking, with little tiny white pimples/bumps. Over his face and back/stomach he has these barely visible pinkish/white bumps. You wouldn't really know they were there unless you felt them, feels just kind of rough instead of his usually baby soft skin. I looked at pictures of heat rash, and it looks just like that. And it's been horribly hot here. And my in-laws may have l left him in wet clothes in the stroller while walking home from the water park.

At first I thought the diaper rash was yeast and treated it with topical anti-fungal creams, and it did nothing. He hasn't responded to diaper rash creams too, so I stopped.

I've been giving him lots of naked time and using just prefolds with no cover or wool and checking constantly for wetness so that he has no moisture there. That has helped make it less red for sure.

Any other ideas?

On an unrelated note, if you lived in a large co-op (apartment building) with common industrial washer/dryers, would you use them for diapers? What to say if a busy body (we have MANY) turns us in to management? We haven't really done it yet, but it would simplify my life.
#2 of 4 Old 09-04-2010, 02:42 PM

My dd1 has really sensitive skin, and was prone to heat rashy-looking stuff from her dipes (esp. with pul or anything that would rub against her skin). Nakedness and regular baths (with some baking soda and/or baby or olive oil) helped the best. We also used badger baby balm (it's basically an olive oil salve) which helped heal and protect her skin just enough and worked better than any of the other diapering cream stuff we had.
If stuff like that doesn't help, detergent reactions can look similar (but it sounds like it is helping your kiddo, so I think you're fine).

No ideas about what to say about shared washer complaints. . . but I really don't think washing diapers causes any problems. I feel like I've seen some good comments/info in older threads about that. . . should someone remember or know about those.
#3 of 4 Old 09-04-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

It was starting to get better from the naked time, but now the skin is starting to peel off and it looks sore again. :-( I've never seen a diaper rash where the skin peels off.

So I'm at a loss again!

I'll try to find Badger Baby Balm.... maybe Whole Foods?
#4 of 4 Old 09-04-2010, 06:34 PM

Yikes! You might want to look over your wash routine if it's peeling. For us, that happened when I think we were having detergent issues but there are other reasons out there too if that doesn't seem to be it.

Plain olive oil has worked well for our kiddo's skin issues (too much of the zinc creams bother her - we'll use it to dilute them sometimes too). Sometimes WF doesn't have the baby balm (but will have others - the healing balm is pretty similar, just doesn't have the chamomile/calendula) but usually they can order it. Good luck figuring it out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page