We've go the polyester STINK! Bleach or Oxiclean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-10-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All of my diapers with even a hint of polyester in them, including Motherease one-size fitteds and a BabyKicks hemp-cotton fitted, have a serious ammonia stink the second DD pees in them. Gross. None of my 100% cotton prefolds or fitteds have this issue (go cotton!!!).

From what I have read on these boards so far about ammonia stink, my poly-blend dipes need some sort of super sanitizing clean. Is it better for the diapers to use oxiclean or bleach? I am afraid of the harsh chemicals destroying the diapers or being too harsh on DD's cute little buns. Is one option better/safer? I would rather just switch to 100% cotton entirely, but DH wants me to try to save the MEOS before buying something new.

Any thoughts?

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#2 of 8 Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 PM

I have used bleach numerous times and never had a issue, but if you are worried about it you could always do the oxyclean first and it that doesn't work pull out the big guns of bleach.

I would also do several hot washes with no soap at the end of the cycle. Hot water gets build up out better and IME when I have ammonia smell it is from detergent build up. Several hot washes with no soap (till I see no suds) does the trick.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 8 Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM

For ammonia-like smell I believe you have to get rid of ammonia crystals built up. That takes vinegar according to what I've read here. I remember reading to soak overnight in up to 4 cups of vinegar in the load, and use 1/2cup in the initial rinse for prevention. I hope that helps. One warning: vinegar can be harsh on elastics, so go as easy as you can get away with.
#4 of 8 Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 PM

I use bleach every 3 months or so and it totally clears up any and all stink issues. I use it on everything. I have not noticed any color fading or any extra wear and tear because of it.

Mama to three

#5 of 8 Old 09-23-2010, 04:19 PM

my stink wasn't too bad and a strip overnight with rockin green as per the bag followed by a lot of rinses worked.
#6 of 8 Old 09-25-2010, 09:41 AM

When you gals use bleach what do you do? Soak them? How much / how long? Or just add it to the washer? Instead of detergent? And do you wash again afterwards to get the bleach out?

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#7 of 8 Old 09-25-2010, 11:11 AM

It just takes a Tbsp or two of bleach in the wash cycle.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#8 of 8 Old 09-25-2010, 01:35 PM

Honestly, I would try the OxyClean first. It may not seem like it for awhile but bleach will break down the fibers of many fabrics over time. I use RnG and OxyClean when I need to strip our diapers and it works great! I've never needed bleach. Better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page