Help me with my next size of prefolds! (GMD) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so before DD was born I went ahead and got 2dz newborn (orange edge) prefolds as well as 2 dz small (yellow edge). I was on the fence about it and really thought about going straight to yellow (DS, my first, was a big baby at birth). Turned out to be a very good decision since DD came a month early and was 5lbs 10oz!

Here's my dilemma now - she has caught up and then some, she is 14.5 lbs/24 inches at 3.5 months. The yellow edge are working ok but she is about to grow out of the small Thirsties covers and I think I should get a larger size of prefold soon. She will most likely continue to get super chubby like her brother did...could I skip the red edge and go to brown? I have Thirsties duo covers (size 2).

Or would it be better to save a few bucks and get an Indian or Chinese prefold in a larger size? I only have experience with GMDs, but I really love them!

Thanks for any advice!
#2 of 7 Old 09-11-2010, 07:27 PM

I love my GMD prefolds I would just go straight to the brown edged... my younger son has been in brown edged since he outgrew the yellow.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#3 of 7 Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I probably will do just that. I guess I would only be saving about $2-4 with most other prefolds around that size too, and I think it's worth that much to stick with what I know.

This is my first CD baby and I'm loving it! It definitely helps that she has spaced out her poops. We'll see how I feel when she eventually starts solids.
#4 of 7 Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 AM

We went from yellow to brown too.
#5 of 7 Old 09-12-2010, 05:33 PM

I am wondering this, too. Ds is 10.5 lbs at 6wks old and has outgrown the nb pfs. We have been using Little Lions flats (27x27 shrunk) "padfolded" like how you'd tri-fold a pf----in OS Flip cover.

We have decided that we need more flats coz we LOVE them, but I'd like to order some prefolds, too.

Will we be able to use the brown edge the same way we use the flats (trifolded in the cover)? On an 11-12lb baby? Or will we really have to wait til he is 20lbs (that's what gmd says)?

Hmmm, what do you think, ladies? Should I skip yellow and go to red or skip both and get brown? I think he would be fitting the yellows okay right now, but I don't want to order them if he could fit in the browns . . .

Happy and in love with my family!
#6 of 7 Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i found the yellow gmd to last a long time. much longer than expected. my dd was born at 38w so i did use some orange (1dz) with my 2dz yellows, bought more for as back up. dd is now 8m and still fits great in the yellows! i haven't a clue what i will use next, but won't worry till she outgrows they yellow.

op
you need to be sure to check measurements as some "larger" non-gmd prefold are longer but not wider. and it's usually the width you need.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#7 of 7 Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We went from the old Greens (I think they are Yellow now) to the red edge, DS is about to grow out of them at 27ish lbs at 16m.
I would go to the browns too, folding some down doesn't hurt anything!
I have also thought about getting flats birth to potty training has allures!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page