CD detergent ?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay....I've heard lots of different stuff on this one. What is the best or worst detergent for cloth diapers?
For our clothing I usually use that biodegradble eco stuff from Costco but it does have a fragrance to it. I heard Charlies Brand was super good and was thinking of spending the $120.00 for the huge bucket that's like 1200 loads worth, I really like bulk and thought that'd last a long time if used just for CDs. Someone mentioned OxyClean on a differnt post. Do you always have to wash CDs in Hot too?

What's your experience's been?? Thanks my wise mamas!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 AM

yes hot water is essential. oxi clean works well.

i make my own powdered detergent.

2 cups fels naptha soap grated
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax

2tbs reg load. 1 rounded tbs HE load. 1tbs for dipes or half if HE.
i use it for my cloths too...works great and is like 2 pennies a load maybe...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

I would not buy Charlie's in bulk right away. Some parents report MAJOR skin reactions, other's love it. If it burns your baby's bum, you're not going to want 1200 loads sitting around!

I tended to grab whatever was on sale from the recommended list above. I've never tried my homemade detergent on cd's.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I bought Allens. You can get it here. Its 1/4 ounce in a HE washer.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 AM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've used Allen's for the past couple babies and really like it. My kidos have ultra sensitive skin but we've had no rash issues from it. I used Charlie's before that and we did have some rash problems with it.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM

We use Charlie's and love it- actually use it on all our laundry. We use prefolds and Bummis Super Brites covers, and have never had an issue with buildup, stinkiness, etc. We do a cold rinse followed by a hot wash with extra rinse.

That being said, I second buying the small bag (I think it's $10 and does roughly 100 loads). You NEVER know what your child will be sensitive to, and don't want to be stuck with it. I've also found that you don't need to use a whole scoop of Charlie's to get dipes clean.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 PM

We started out using Charlie's we really liked it and luckily no skin reaction from my son. We would buy it from our local CD store, but that closed, so we now use Biokleen which we can find at Whole Foods or Central Market.

On a related note, I swear by Biokleen Bac Out to spray the dirty diapers down before putting them in your pail. It really cuts down on odors and stains. Also, it is the BEST carpet cleaner I've ever found and it's natural and not fumey either. Just thought I'd throw that out there too.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmama1984 View Post

On a related note, I swear by Biokleen Bac Out to spray the dirty diapers down before putting them in your pail. It really cuts down on odors and stains. Also, it is the BEST carpet cleaner I've ever found and it's natural and not fumey either. Just thought I'd throw that out there too.

I can't speak yet to Bac-Out's efficacy on cloth diapers, but it is definitely an awesome carpet cleaner and will get funky smells out of stuff! It smells nice and lime-y too!

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 PM

Moving to Diapering.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 PM

I haven't been too fond of BioKleen's regular detergent; it doesn't seem to get that "sweat smell" out at all. So I didn't want to try it on CDs.

I made my own liquid detergent out of Ivory soap, borax, and washing soda. It seems to work really well for the other clothes so far, and I hope it works for the CDs. My friend uses it for all laundry needs at her house and loves it.

PM me if you want a link to my blog about making it.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 09-21-2010, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Right now we are usign Tide free powder I love it but I've had no issues with regular store detergants.. I actually have some tiny bubbles detergant comming cause I liked the results form a sample pack I tried... I don't need a new detergant but I'm all for supporting a CD company a little more if I can...

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 09-21-2010, 03:14 PM

I use my own detergent as well. Fels, washing soda, and borax in equal proportions, dissolved in hot water (5 gallons for 1.5 cups of each); 1/2 cup per load.

I would like to try the bac-out for pre-spraying her poopy diapers, but it's not sold locally and I'm waiting to batch an Amazon order.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:22 PM

owlgirl, do get a detergent that is recommended for the type of water you have (hard or soft). I've used All free and clear for 9 years on CD and haven't liked anything else as much. Homemade wasn't satisfactory to me either. I wouldn't risk putting soap on my diapers long term with hard water.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Not sure if you're only after a detergent, but when we were washing cotton diapers/nappies a year ago we would soak them in a pail with a solution of water and Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) for a few hours, then wash at 40 degrees with minimal amount of detergent, no need for a hot wash as the H2O2 is much better at killing bacteria.

I can't really help with suppliers in the US, as we were in Thailand at the time, used to get H2O2 from a swimming pool supplier and had to make do with the least noxious detergent we could find, not very up on organic/natural products!

Just my thoughts, feelings and beliefs today, not set in stone forever ...
Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 PM

I use Sportwash--it's the only thing I buy at Wal-Mart. It works fine on my baby's diapers but doesn't always get the man smell out of my dh's clothes.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFullHouse View Post
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

I would not buy Charlie's in bulk right away. Some parents report MAJOR skin reactions, other's love it. If it burns your baby's bum, you're not going to want 1200 loads sitting around!

I tended to grab whatever was on sale from the recommended list above. I've never tried my homemade detergent on cd's.
That was a really helpful link, thanks!

We have a trial package of Rockin' Green and I assume this is what we will use. Though we typically use Nature Clean on all our laundry so I guess according to this chart it might work too. Though my sister in law just had an issue with her pockets and found out that it was best to use rockin' green...I might go with her experiences and stick to what is known to work best.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 PM

I think it really all depends on what type of water you have/machine. We move quite a bit and I have found that depending on the water my detergent might need to change a bit or my washing "procedure". I personally always used purex free or all free and never had a problem but I also make sure to cut the amt of soap and I also have a thing for doing long water pre-rinse/re-rinse cycles.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Wow!! Thank you all!!

First I WILL NOT buy bulk until I have tested it out, geez, seems so obvious now, what ever was I thinking?? Duh....

Thanks you especially for that awesome link myfullhouse!! Looks like I will have some experimenting lots of great ecofriendly brands to choose from. I will p/u a bottle of the bac out, have seen it for years at the store. Also interested in the H2O2 presoak and not having to use hot water, may experiment with that, not sure. The soaking thing kinda wigs me out. Anyone else do this?

FYI I have an He front loader and we are on well water. I think we have great water. I had hard water once and it stained everything orange and smelled bad. Our water tests good with normal PH, super yummy to drink and no need to filter.

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmama1984 View Post
Can you tell me how you use it? I saw somewhere that it is diluted 50% with water and to rinse out well because it has enzymes right?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 AM

We use Charlies and love it

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Country Save works well for us.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 09-22-2010, 03:05 PM

I've used a few different kinds of detergent. I have both country save and rocking green right now. I was really impressed with the build up that came up when I soaked with Rocking Green so I went ahead and bought a bunch. Honestly, my diapers are getting cleaner with Country Save. I'll use up the RG and stick to Country Save now.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 AM

I just use the same All Free and clear liquid that I use on all our cloths. I don't think we've had any real problems so far, but DD's diapers have nylon, not PUL, so it could be worse on other dipes. I'm considering trying something new, but right now don't have the energy to make a change.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM

We have only been cloth diapering a couple months, but so far I have also been very happy with the All Free&Clear on our diapers. Both I and DD have very sensitive skin, and have been pretty happy with the various brands of the fragrance-free HE detergents, but this one is cheaper and I don't seem to need to use very much. I looked into some of the eco-friendly brands like Charlie's, etc. but I am really not organized enough to order it online nor do I feel like experimenting with yet another product right now. So I'd say, if you have the inclination try the Charlie's and compare it with the All Free & Clear. Good luck!

Oh, and I always wash in hot water unless it's a poop-free load (not often). I wash most of our clothes in hot water too unless it's a delicate item because dust mites freak me out.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:24 AM

I like ALL Free & Clear, as well as Arm and Hammer detergent. Lately though due to a tight budget I've been using the Up & Up (Target brand) free and clear detergent and have no complaints. I use less of course with cloth dipes.

I have heard as well that you can use a small amount of regular detergent on cloth dipes but to stay away from the free and clear brands. (This is from the Fuzzibunz FAQ on their website). I can't make any kind of sense of that and haven't personally had any problems.

I also add some baking soda to the cold pre-soak and a few drops of tea tree oil in with the detergent to disinfect and deoderize. That tea tree oil is S-T-R-O-N-G stuff...only a couple drops is needed.

Haven't tried vinegar or Oxyclean yet for their respective benefits, but I hope to soon.

caffix.gif
Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM

i love this chart -

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

if you can wash with really hot water you dont have to be as picky with your detergent in my experience. if you have hard water, rockin green is the only thing that works.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 AM

I use Country Save because we have fairly hard water. Biokleen totally builds up on everything including towels and diapers in our water.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

User Tag List