Help me to be ok with the new poop. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh. My baby has started to eat some solid food. I sure do miss that liquidy mustard yellow poo. This stuff is totally.freakin.gross. I dont want to use those disposable liner thinggys, but I do not feel comfortable putting these diapers straight into the washing machine like the breastmilk poo diapers. Its not solid enough to shake out into the toilet & I cant toilet dunk anymore, its just too gross now that its "real" poop.

Have people had luck with the diaper sprayer thing? Im scared its going to splash the poo all over me.

I know this is silly. Ive never had a problem touching her poo until now. How can I get over this?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 10 Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 PM

You're gonna have to get over it Even without cloth diapering, there are going to be plenty of poopy messes in your future.

We have a diaper sprayer and yes, some does spray around. I try to keep as much of it in the water as possible, so poopy diaper under water and sprayer as close to the water as possible. DS was/is a very soft pooper - so we always have to scrub off the poop from the diaper. I used a bathroom scrub brush until we installed the sprayer. Today he decided to poop in his pants and he wasn't wearing underwear. Ick, ick, ick.

Mama to three

#3 of 10 Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM

This sounds nasty (and it is), but the best thing I have found for removing poop of that consistency from a diaper is to let it SIT. I used to work at a daycare when I had my oldest. I was able to use cloth diapers with her, but obviously I couldn't spray, dunk, or otherwise deal with the poopies until I got home. So her dirty diapers would sit in their zippered Happy Tushies wetbag until I got home... At which point the whole bag often got tossed into the diaper pail to await washing the next day. By the time I pulled everything out for washing, the poop had firmed into a mostly solid peel-able (please don't vomit) substance. I would just gently peel the poop off, throw all the diapers into the washer, run a rinse cycle, and then wash on hot. We never had any issues with our diapers or our washing machine.

Big to you, though. I hate that transition too. BF poop is so incredibly awesome compared to "real" poop. I remember when I was still EBFing my youngest, I ended up watching her age-mate cousin one day. The cousin was on formula... but I didn't think anything of it. I was just glad to get to CD another baby for funsies! What an idiot I was. As soon as I changed that baby into cloth, she promptly pooped all in it. I nearly vomited. I was NOT prepared for that (even after dealing with my oldest child's poop, as well as working as an infant care-giver in a daycare for quite a long time). I bagged that dang prefold up and set it in the bathroom... and promptly forgot about it. Needless to say, when I rediscovered that horrendous mess later-- the diaper got tossed. That's the only cloth diaper I've ever thrown away. LOL.

I will say that if my ever-so-appealing method doesn't work for you, I hear that a great many people have luck with diaper sprayers. There are contraptions that can help with the over-spray issue. I think Green Mountain Diapers website sold one... or had info on one... or I could be mistaken altogether... But essentially it's a big bucket with a hole cut out in the bottom or something. I'm sure a Google search would serve me well, I'm just lazy right now. LOL.

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#4 of 10 Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 PM

I am sure this is just as gross and have not tried myself but a friend of mine counseling me in preparation for full-time CD with my upcoming NB told me she kept a flat butter knife behind the toilet and would scrap off the poop - spray with bac-out and toss in the wet bag. Another way to think about it. Good luck!
#5 of 10 Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, you'll get over it. And I assure you poop in the potty is the most glorious thing ever. =) The second best thing is a diaper sprayer. Yes, it sometimes splashes but they need to go in the toilet, not the washer. The diaper sprayer is less messy than dunking.

I just saw the butter knife comment above. I can see that working pretty well too.
#6 of 10 Old 09-25-2010, 01:58 AM

We kept popsicle sticks next to the toilet when dd1 was at that age.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#7 of 10 Old 09-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Kudos to all who scrape and peel etc., but microfiber liners saved my sanity. My DD eats so much fiber I felt like I was drowning in poop till I got some microfiber liners

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...roducts_id=102

You can make them too but I didn't have time so I finally ordered some.

Poo comes off with a quick spray. For a sprayer I got the potty pail.

http://www.pottypail.com/

Helps make sure poop doesn't spray all over. Unnecessarily expensive really but I figured I would get tons of use out of it, and I do, several times a day (DD and her fiber )

So I just take the microfiber liner off and give it a quick spray. Spraying the prefolds left me with a drenched drippy prefold that smelled more quickly than an unsprayed prefold. The microfiber liner doesn't take up much room in the wash, dries quickly, keeps the babes butt feeling dryer.
#8 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 AM

Ive just been washing or scraping the worst poos for the last 6 mos. And just dealing w the detritus in my washer. But a friend convinced me to try the sprayer. Ive had it less than a week and i dont how i survived without it!

With pockets, i pull out the inserts, flip it inside out and spray. With fitteds, i just flip and spray. But we wash every other day, so nothing is really sitting around.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#9 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Ive just been washing or scraping the worst poos for the last 6 mos. And just dealing w the detritus in my washer. But a friend convinced me to try the sprayer. Ive had it less than a week and i dont how i survived without it!

With pockets, i pull out the inserts, flip it inside out and spray. With fitteds, i just flip and spray. But we wash every other day, so nothing is really sitting around.

Glad to hear this. I think I will get the sprayer next week. I wish I had a toilet in my laundry room, kwim? I wash every other day too, so it shouldnt have to sit.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Ive gotten a litttle better at dealing with it already. It sure was gross the first few times.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm still not used to the stench! I've been very fortunate to have mostly solid/peel-able poop with DS. If it's not, I have a plastic spackle knife I use.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page