Overnight CD Solution (Brand/Type) that worked for you! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please help me find a suitable solution I can order online to try with DS, 22 months. I've tried stripping my BG 3.0s and it's a little better regarding leaks, but he still wakes up mid-night with a completely soaked diapers.

What can I buy to try instead of his BGs at night? I'm interested in trying something new, like wool and hemp, but feel overwhelmed at all the terminology (doublers, soakers, I'm lost..?). Is there a website/brand that worked for you where I can just order everything I need to give it a shot!

Thank you!!!

Melissa, mama to sweet sons Alexander (11/29/08) and Henry (12/29/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 08:11 PM

The only thing that works for at night is a Disana wool soaker or a Dancing Bears fleece soaker (we prefer Disana) over 2 prefolds with a microfiber insert (like from your BGs) sandwiched in between the 2 prefolds. Then we do a jelly roll fold and snappi the prefolds. Happy Hempy's stuffable pockets also work very well under the soakers and are large enough to stuff with pretty much anything, if you aren't a fan of prefolds. The happy hempy's pockets and disana wool soakers can both be bought from abbyslane.com if you want to give them a try.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Does this get you through the entire night? (12+ hours)

Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM

Yup!! Usually closer to 14-16 depending how tired they are

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! This is very helpful. I'll try it out. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 PM

I used Bumgenius 3.0 with the regular insert and then anywhere from 1-3 newborn inserts (in addition to the regular). Over time he needed less absorbency. (maybe he was night nursing less). But if he had a cold, or was night nursing constantly, I think I usually had the regular insert plus 2 or 3 newborn ones on top. (I had them all stacked on top of each other, lined up in the front because he's a boy.) I usually never had a problem with leaking. But when there were 3 newborn inserts in there, the diaper was pretty bulky. But he didn't seem to mind.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 PM

My new favorite combo (BGs stopped working when DD started sleeping on her side) is my Sustainablebabyish fitted and Dancing Bears cover.

DD 2/28/10
Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqi View Post
My new favorite combo (BGs stopped working when DD started sleeping on her side) is my Sustainablebabyish fitted and Dancing Bears cover.
wouldn't a bamboo fitted feel wet and maybe get rashy overnight?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by is it puppies? View Post
wouldn't a bamboo fitted feel wet and maybe get rashy overnight?
It will feel wet, but my kids go 12 hours in just prefolds, it doesn't bother them and they don't get rashy. They DO get rashy in diapers with stay dry inners though...

Old 09-24-2010, 02:49 AM

We use a fuzzi bunz with the microfiber liner plus a doubler insert and have only had a couple leaks.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 PM

I'd have to agree with pp. We use FuzziBunz Mediums and OS with just the MF insert and a hemp doubler. The doubler is a very thin strip of hemp cloth (about the same dimensions as the MF insert, only a lot thinner) that adds extra absorbency without adding much bulk. I hear some mamas say that they stuff their LO's diapers with 2 inserts and a prefold and on and on and I just can't imagine it being that comfortable for the kiddies. Plus they'd have a HUGE bubble-tush, lol! Just my opinion. I bought a 3-pack of hemp doublers here: www.fuzzibunzstore.com for pretty cheap and they work great.

CDing, BFing, CSing, Loving mama to Maya Lily (10/15/2009), and married to my best friend on October 31, 2009!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For my 2 year old: Swaddlebees, Blueberry, or Bum Genius pocket diaper stuffed with three regular inserts (one hemp and two microfiber). I put some recycled longies I made or a soaker I crocheted over that to catch any leaks that happen.

For my one month old: Bum Genius with the regular insert and newborn insert covered by a wool sleep sack I crocheted.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. This is so helpful! From the sounds of it, I think I have had some major repelling issues with my BGs, because I've been putting about 3 microfiber inserts in at night (2 regular, 1 newborn) for DS (22 mo.) and they were still leaking all over. I've done the blue Dawn wash once to strip them, but may need to do it again b/c I'm still having some leaking problems...

But the wool cover is a great idea and I'm probably going to invest in one, as well as a Hempy Heiny and hemp inserts.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:23 AM

Happy Hempys with 2 PFs trifolded and a Loopy Do. Covered with a Babyology soaker/longie. It's sopping wet by morning, and the wool has to dry (turn it inside out), but it holds him. I can put that same dipe under a PUL cover though and it won't hold him.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 09-25-2010, 02:52 AM

Think I've got mine down pat for now

BG 3.0 with NB and regular and hemp insert, topped by a tkcuddlersPUL cover as DD is a side sleeper and I think a heavy wetter though she's only 3 months she drinks every 2 hours all night.

I had been trying to use my aristocrat over it but it has holes around the leg/waist
Old 09-25-2010, 03:02 AM

We use a firefly nightime diaper with a doubler and a firefly wool cover. The key here is the wool
cover. Wool makes nights so much easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
Old 09-25-2010, 03:23 AM

It does sound like you have repelling issues. Do you know what caused it? dawn is good for bleach build up but honestly bleach is better for stripping if the issue is ammonia.

As for our nighttime preference, My kiddo is a light wetter so a regular BSRB gets her through just fine, and honestly would probably be fine without a cover even although I like using wool. She doesn't get rashy not having a stay dry liner but I do feel like her skin gets kind of blotchy (but not rash) when I use microfiber. It's like anything, different options are better or worse. Some kids need stay dry, some need only natural fibers, some are totally good with all synthetic materials and some can only use cotton haha.

For me, if I were struggling with night time issues, I'd probably use a few good layers of hemp with cotton over top. Perhaps a hemp fitted with a thick doubler made of hemp and cotton. Definitely with wool as a cover as wool will absorb a lot as well before feeling wet. I know there are a couple places that actually make wool doublers that you put under soakers and doublers to make them absorb as much as possible before the wool soaks it and making the wool soak as much as possible before the diaper shell absorbs... and then leaving really nothing for the wool cover to absorb.

as far as terminology... soakers are thick inserts basically. It is the bulk of a diaper's absorbant fabric. Generally this term is used for fitteds only with snap in soakers. The shell of the diaper is absorbent but the soaker is really want makes the diaper. doublers are an insert that just adds a layer or a few of fabric when the diaper/soaker aren't enough. Some diapers come with their own doublers, but you can also buy doublers on their own or make them. Soakers always come with the diaper and sometimes are sewn into the shell completely however many people avoid this as it makes it harder to clean/dry a diaper. snap in soakers make laundry day a bit easier/quicker haha.

Insert is also a term used on whatever you use to stuff a pocket diaper. So the microfiber you got with the BG's are inserts. In my mind, they are the soaker of the diaper, especially because the shell of the diaper isn't absorbent in any way.

Using what you have, you could look for thick hemp inserts if you feel stripping still won't solve your problem and add those to your diapers, or even just get more microfiber if you are good with that. Some people also use wool OVER pocket diapers even though they aren't supposed to need a cover because the wool will be a second line of leak protection. Plus, you can use wool in place of pajamas/clothes... you don't have to get the soaker style (confusing.. soaker for covers means shaved similar to underwear rather than soaker for diaper meaning the bulk of the absorbent bit of the diaper) but can instead get wool shorts or pants.

Go ahead and try to strip your diapers to be sure that is the only problem so you don't have to buy more things, but otherwise I definitely recommend wool and/or more inserts for your diapers. Wool is a wonderful thing
Old 09-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Either a BG 3.0 or a BG Flip, with their microfibre inserts and then a bone-shaped long hemp doubler underneath. I'm desperately trying to find a more breathable solution but DS needs stay-dry (preferably suedecloth) next to his skin to stay rash-free.

IME, too much stuffing can be counter-productive as it makes the diaper not fit as well. It's a fine balance!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 09-25-2010, 02:33 PM

I definitely think you should keep trying to strip your BG's. So far, they are the only ones my heavy wetters can stay in all night. I double the regular insert or use 1 regular insert with 2 infant inserts. I swear by my BG's. I can't wait to order the 4.0's with snaps when I get the chance, which won't be for a while with all the birthdays, birth, and holidays coming up.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know what caused the repelling issue in my BGs... Butt paste/diaper cream. I know it's dumb of me, but DS was having some rash issues, and I didn't think it would matter if I put a little butt paste on with the BGs. Oops. Then my MIL was watching him and doing it too, so it pretty much transferred to every diaper I own.

Big mistake. But the Dawn stripping seems to work. I did it twice. No leaks last night at all, with a BG stuffed with 2 microfiber inserts and 1 newborn insert.

I did order a wool cover tho, a Happy Hempy, and some hemp inserts. Just in case.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks treeoflife. This was very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post
It does sound like you have repelling issues. Do you know what caused it? dawn is good for bleach build up but honestly bleach is better for stripping if the issue is ammonia.

As for our nighttime preference, My kiddo is a light wetter so a regular BSRB gets her through just fine, and honestly would probably be fine without a cover even although I like using wool. She doesn't get rashy not having a stay dry liner but I do feel like her skin gets kind of blotchy (but not rash) when I use microfiber. It's like anything, different options are better or worse. Some kids need stay dry, some need only natural fibers, some are totally good with all synthetic materials and some can only use cotton haha.

For me, if I were struggling with night time issues, I'd probably use a few good layers of hemp with cotton over top. Perhaps a hemp fitted with a thick doubler made of hemp and cotton. Definitely with wool as a cover as wool will absorb a lot as well before feeling wet. I know there are a couple places that actually make wool doublers that you put under soakers and doublers to make them absorb as much as possible before the wool soaks it and making the wool soak as much as possible before the diaper shell absorbs... and then leaving really nothing for the wool cover to absorb.

as far as terminology... soakers are thick inserts basically. It is the bulk of a diaper's absorbant fabric. Generally this term is used for fitteds only with snap in soakers. The shell of the diaper is absorbent but the soaker is really want makes the diaper. doublers are an insert that just adds a layer or a few of fabric when the diaper/soaker aren't enough. Some diapers come with their own doublers, but you can also buy doublers on their own or make them. Soakers always come with the diaper and sometimes are sewn into the shell completely however many people avoid this as it makes it harder to clean/dry a diaper. snap in soakers make laundry day a bit easier/quicker haha.

Insert is also a term used on whatever you use to stuff a pocket diaper. So the microfiber you got with the BG's are inserts. In my mind, they are the soaker of the diaper, especially because the shell of the diaper isn't absorbent in any way.

Using what you have, you could look for thick hemp inserts if you feel stripping still won't solve your problem and add those to your diapers, or even just get more microfiber if you are good with that. Some people also use wool OVER pocket diapers even though they aren't supposed to need a cover because the wool will be a second line of leak protection. Plus, you can use wool in place of pajamas/clothes... you don't have to get the soaker style (confusing.. soaker for covers means shaved similar to underwear rather than soaker for diaper meaning the bulk of the absorbent bit of the diaper) but can instead get wool shorts or pants.

Go ahead and try to strip your diapers to be sure that is the only problem so you don't have to buy more things, but otherwise I definitely recommend wool and/or more inserts for your diapers. Wool is a wonderful thing

Old 09-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Happy Hempy (large) + Super Do insert (large) + Dancing Bears nighttime fleece soaker = leak free nights (12-14 hrs) for my 15 mo old night nurser!

I also want to try wool. Probably a longie for cold nights.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

User Tag List