Can I make my diapers soft again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have mostly all cotton diapers- all fitteds- and after repeted washings none of them are really soft any more. My 2 clovers are still sort of soft, my thirsties fitteds (which have cotton and poly blend) are still soft- but my main stash of various all cotton fitteds are not soft and super cozy anymore. I read that I could dry them on medium not on high but with the amoutn of laundry I do ( a lot) thaty would just add too much time and dryer usage so I dry everything on high. I don't want to use fabric softener for obvious reasons ( to put on my babaies skin- nope!) any other ways to get the diapers soft again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are several things to try. Your diapers may need to be stripped, because dtergent build-up can diminish softness. Dryer balls can help soften them up. While I can certainly understand not wanting to use conventional fabric softener, consider trying Ecover softener. It is fabulous.
With all that said, there are some fitteds, especially the bamboo/cotton diapers that will not keep that original silkiness, but the above tips should help soften them up.

~ help meet to my Lionheart, mama to 6, due in Feb. with #7
#3 of 15 Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

how do you strip the diapers?
#4 of 15 Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 PM

dawn soap. i put them in the wash and put in a good amount of dawn then do a extra rinse.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 15 Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM

so the ecosaver softner is ok for dipes?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 15 Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

hmm- considering looking into the ecover fabric softener- neevr heard of it before. I am really concerned about what I put next to my baby's skin- soyou think this is totally fine for a baby? I didn't realize natural fabric softeners even existed, I have never used one.
#7 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 01:44 AM

I like the Ecover softener a lot. I tried it after reading a well-known wahm's tips for softening up her diapers. It is supposed to be very different from conventional fabric softener, which should never be used on cloth diapers. Conventional softeners are problematic for many reasons in general; and they should never be used on diapers, because they ruin their absorbancy. Ecover, however, is supposed to be formulated completely different from conventional softeners.

Regarding stripping the diapers, if you don't have any Dawn on hand, a hot wash with no detergent works great, too. If you see any suds in the rinse, then do a 2nd rinse, repeating until you see no suds.

#8 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

I looked at my local co op today for Ecover fabric softener. strangely they had so many different Ecover products (all their other laundry products) but not their fabric softener. They did have the 7th generation fabric softener- is this a similar product?
#9 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM

There is probably way more info than you care to read (50+ pages) but the first page has a general overview of laundry tips and info on the diaperswappers.com forum. Here is the link. You can also put in "ecover softner" or "fabric softner" in the search this forum to answer your softner question. HTH!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1040786
#10 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I just googled the ecover softener to see if I can order it online. they gave me two scent choices :
"sunny day" and "morning fresh"
which scent smells best an also smells the least? I am interested in minimal scenting!
thanks
#11 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 02:01 PM

I have only used the "morning fresh", so I cannot comment on the "sunny day".  Morning fresh is very pleasant.  Ecover says they only use plant-based fragrances.

#12 of 15 Old 11-20-2010, 12:26 PM

you can also do a rinse with vinegar as a fabric softener it removes detergent build up and rinses clean away. I was really surprised at how much softer it made my diapers (they're a hemp/cotton blend) they were starting to feel really rough and stiff, and just one rinse with vinegar made them soft as new. I think it's a lot easier than stripping with Dawn. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#13 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 PM

I have tried both the yellow and pink Ecover and highly prefer the yellow cap one. :)

#14 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

I have tried both the yellow and pink Ecover and highly prefer the yellow cap one. :)

yeahthat.gif I like the yellow better too - the smell is "softer," imo.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#15 of 15 Old 11-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I use vianger but I add it dirrectly to the wash cycle rather than the rinse.. It cahnges the diapers PH and gives my DD rashes if I put it in the rinse but with the wash cycle it gives me buttery soft diapers nuturlizes PH and fights stains..

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page