Is there any reason why I wouldn't want one-size CDs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am expecting in late December and hoping/planning to cloth diaper. But I'm having the hardest time figuring out what I need and how much I should be buying now without really knowing what I'm doing. This is our first, so I really have nothing to go on.

This might be a really dumb question, but is there any reason why I wouldn't want to buy one-size diapers? It seems so much more economical and I wonder if I'm missing something?

Thanks!
#2 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 03:19 PM

I am in the same boat as you on this!

We are expecting our first in January. I spoke with my mother who CD all of us kids and she was surprised diapers came in sizes these days. She said for all of us using prefolds, she just doubled them over to fit newborns, and then folded less and less as the babe grew.

So it seems to me like it might make the most sense to go heavy on the larger sizes since I don't know how big my baby is going to be. I have a friend who just had a babe who was large and already too big for the newborn size clothes at birth, so I don't want to have too many of the smallest diapers.
#3 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 03:38 PM

I guess the main reason would be if you want a trim fit... I can't think of many NB sized clothes that would fit over a bum in a one size diaper! But your thinking is right - unless you have a really teeny baby, there's no reason you can't just put them in a one size from the start. I think I started using my MotherEase OS fitteds with my baby when she was about 2 weeks (9 lbs).

Flats are really the best one size solution out there. Those sized prefolds are nice, but seriously, my baby was needing the "medium" size (like GMD red edge) by 2.5 months. I wish I'd just bought more flats and fewer prefolds to begin with, but how was I to know my baby would be such a chunky monkey??

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#4 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Only a couple minor reasons come to mind:

1) One size diapers tend to be very large on a newborn (bulky), and might not work at all on a premie.

2) While they theoretically will fit until your child is potty trained, it's a bit of a stretch if your child is big for their age or late PLing. Although we "started early" through ECing, DS isn't quite there yet and is really starting to push the limits of the BGs he still wears at night.

I think one-size dipes are still a good investment overall though.

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#5 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you may find that you will want more of a smaller fit for a NB. i would say go with a flat/prefold in a cover or a NB aio. the one size would work just fine for nite time and even at home but a smaller diaper for when out and about. you might find that the clothing will not even fit over a bulky diaper.
#6 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 04:02 PM

The previous poster, curiouscanadian, had two good points.

Personally, I do like the one-size diapers. My biggest baby was 9 pounds 6 ounces at birth, and the one size diapers were not quite a good enough fit yet, but that can be a result of build. (If the fit isn't great, there can be leaks and blowouts.) By about 10 to 12 pounds, most of the one size diapers fit nicely though.

You might consider flats or prefolds for the beginning, and then moving into a one-size system later.

Jennifer
#7 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 04:04 PM

One size diapers didn't work for my kids at all. They were way too big in the newborn stage, and all but my youngest would have out grown them well before potty learning (DD was out of diapers at under 2, but she was huge and wearing XL diapers at that point). The one sizes that I used, I mostly used when the kids were in mediums in other diapers - they lasted a bit longer than actual mediums and were great while transitioning from M to L, but they didn't last as long on the other side as Ls did.
#8 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM

the "one-size" varies from diaper to diaper also. FLIPs on the smallest setting may not fit newborns. I think Grobaby/Grovia might, as they run small to begin with.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#9 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 05:23 PM

The one-size are quite bulky in the beginning. I used medium sized pockets since DD was about 6 weeks. They also fit my 3 year old DS (we tried) who is potty trained. One-size are more expensive and I like the trimmer fit on my relative skinny kids, so I decided to stick with the medium size, hoping we will make it to potty training stage with those.

Carma
#10 of 23 Old 11-02-2010, 05:30 PM

I don't care for how my one-size FB fit my DD still- and she's over 5 mo. They are super bulky front and back, but especially between the legs. I don't use them at night- I can't imagine stuffing them even more. She weighs about 14 pounds now, and they're just too much. She doesn't roll over as often in them either, like she is stiff as a board. Live and learn, we're stuck with them.
#11 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 12:19 AM

There are a few potential issues I think, and really a lot depends on your preferences.
- Bulk - anything that fits a 3 year old is going to be pretty big on a newborn. So newborn clothes may not fit and some people are concerned that the baby's bum is raised so much when they're laying down because of the bulky diaper.
- Will it fit to potty training? Some one-size diapers do, some don't, and this one depends on your kiddo: how big they get and how soon they potty train. Because of this and the previous point many people end up buying newborn, then one size, then extra large size diapers, which ends up being 3 different sizes not one. Some diapers are better at fitting newbies, others will fit much larger kids - depends on the brand.
- How long will the diaper last? Are you planning to use them on future kids? Many one size diapers will not last through multiple kids, which really is not that surprising since they'll be washed every other day for 2-3 years non stop, right? Having a large rotation of diapers will help with this, but if you spend more on a large stash you may find that it's not a big difference from getting a smaller stash of a couple of sizes and getting a more trim fit. Some of the cheap (meaning cheaply made, not inexpensive) diapers out there will not even last all the way through one kid before they wear out.

Personally, I'm totally into cloth diapering. But DH is not that excited about it so I don't want the bulk at the beginning to put him off before we even get started. So I figure sized diapers may be a good investment. Plus there is quite a market out there for used diapers believe it or not, so if they stay in good condition you can resell them and get some of your money back. I actually bought some of ours used and if you can do that it may not be more expensive at all than going with one size.

And another strategy, which I've heard some use, is to invest in just a few sized diapers to go nicely in those tiny outfits or for photos or whatever and use a more bulky system the rest of the time.
#12 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 AM

ime, like pp's mentioned, it usually depends on the dipe and the baby.

for my first child i purchased 24 organic terrycloth imse vimse diapers. my baby was so tiny and stayed so tiny, that they didn't fit her until she was well over a year old, and then she was potty learning by that time. but they worked well for my subsequent average sized babies soon after birth.

for an robust, average-sized newborn (8+ lbs), i think *most* os diapers would work reasonably well.

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#13 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillianB View Post
This might be a really dumb question, but is there any reason why I wouldn't want to buy one-size diapers? It seems so much more economical and I wonder if I'm missing something?

Thanks!
IME:

they won't fit newborns well
they'll be bulky on young infants
they won't fit larger toddlers well
they'll wear out before your child is out of diapers

-Angela
#14 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM

I have not loved any of my one size diapers.

I totally agree that they are either super bulky or just don't fit newborns.

They tend to fit about as long as a well designed size medium diaper anyway, so they're kind of a non-product in my mind.

By the time your child is two or three, if they are still in diapers, you often have very specific needs for diapers. Even if your kid haven't officially outgrown your one size diapers you might find that you need a diaper with snaps instead of velcro, or larger leg holes, or a narrow crotch, or made of a particular fabric that can catch a lot of pee fast, etc.

By the time we're done, we will have been diapering non-stop for nine years. No diaper is going to last for nine years. It makes more sense to size for the child... especially since two sizes are so often all you need.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#15 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 PM

I just bought 6 one-size diapers. BUT they were $15.95 so I don't feel too badly about it. I know for sure that we're going to have to do something different in the newborn stage. Right now I'm leaning toward GMD prefold fitteds ("Workhorse") and either Thirsties or Bummis covers (or Imse Vimse.. or.. or.. yeah, I'm not totally decided on that). I figure I'll see how those work in the beginning and go from there.

Beth
Mama to DD 2.18.03, DS 3.18.06, DD 5.7.11

#16 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 12:51 PM

I've cloth diapered 4 of my kids, 3 of them from birth. I've never liked the fit of a one size on a newborn, and I have had some pretty big newborns. I prefer flats or prefolds with a doubler with wool or PUL covers, personally.
#17 of 23 Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM

I did one-size, snap-adjustable pocket diapers.

They were very large on him as a newborn to about 6 weeks. I used pre-folds more during that time period.

They did get a bit tight as we neared 2 yrs, and I used them less from 24-30 months, when he finally stopped wearing diapers.

For the record, he was a 8+ lb newborn who gained rapidly in the first few months. By 2 years, he was as tall as the average 3.5 year-old, but had fallen in the weight percentiles.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#18 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

They won't be as trim as a size diaper until about 6 months or so, they are more expensive, and they will wear out sooner.  This is important if you plan several kids - a size small diaper will be worn for 4-6 months and then put away.  Mediums will be worn for 1.5 years and then put away.  Then if you need larges, you won't need very many and they'll be worn for a year.  One-size will be worn for 3 years, so they will get more wear and tear.  Also, what fits baby #1 may not fit baby #2 (all 4 of my kids have been a different shape.)

If you get one-size, get a snap version, and adjustable legs are key - FuzziBunz one-size are my favorite, though I also like Rump-a-rooz and BumGenius 4.0.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#19 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

They won't be as trim as a size diaper until about 6 months or so, they are more expensive, and they will wear out sooner.  This is important if you plan several kids - a size small diaper will be worn for 4-6 months and then put away.  Mediums will be worn for 1.5 years and then put away.  Then if you need larges, you won't need very many and they'll be worn for a year.  One-size will be worn for 3 years, so they will get more wear and tear.  Also, what fits baby #1 may not fit baby #2 (all 4 of my kids have been a different shape.)

If you get one-size, get a snap version, and adjustable legs are key - FuzziBunz one-size are my favorite, though I also like Rump-a-rooz and BumGenius 4.0.

On sizes- depends on how your kids grow  lol.gif  For my kids smalls are worn for 2 months and put away, mediums for 2-3 months and put away and larges for 1.5-2yrs  smile.gif

-Angela

#20 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM

We are useing fuzzybunz cloth deipers and have used a combo of them and some prefold we got at the shower from the beginieng he is almost 6 monthes and they have been working great even if they onley make it to a year it seems woth it . we have 12 fuzzy bunz and 6 prefolds and do laundery once a week . they were bulky at first witch was fine becuse he dint move much and now that he is scooting they work great and we havent added the extra insert yet exept at night .

sorry for the typos typeing with a sleeping baby in one arm

#21 of 23 Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 PM

I agree with much of what previous posters said. We started off with gDiapers (small) and then small-sized Fuzzi Bunz which were big on DS at ~5 weeks but lasted him until 6+ months (he's on the smaller end). I would start with just enough to get you through the first couple of months until you get an idea of what your LO is like in build and size. The small FB fit our son great and we loved them then, but the medium ones less so now that he's bigger. My current favorite is the BG 3.0 for my son's build & size. I wouldn't stock up too much right away because there are always cool new products and prints coming out - part of the fun is seeing all the new stuff coming to market, and then getting it! (Which is harder to do if you've already blown your budget on all of one brand/model.) 

#22 of 23 Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We use the sized fuzzi bunz but this is what I've read.

Adjusting the diaper can be a pain

Heavy rotation will generally cause the diaper to wear out pretty soon; BG velco almost always wears out before you outgrow them; you can save money buy buying used sized diapers AND reuse them for the next kid

You get a lot more bulk in the begining

Kids change a lot and so you can end up with your "investment" not working

Infants don't fit them and big kids will outgrow them before potty learning so you can still be stuck with buying three sizes

Almost all of my purchased used FB were 1) used 2) used by my DS 3) lent to another baby and 4) will be used by next baby. That is pretty awesome value.

My larges are the same way.

THe mediums have the most use so maybe they'll only last three kids and not four.

#23 of 23 Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

One size diapers will not fit many newborns. They were gigantic on mine one size started fitting bulky but doable and functionable around 3 months and super great after  5.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page