persistent diaper rash - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is almost 10 mos.  She's always had sensitive skin, reacting to disposables as a newborn.  We then were using gdiapers for 4 mos, then she had thrush and began reacting to the gdiaper inserts (in for 5 mins, no pee, red welty).  Since then we've been using organic cotton prefolds.  We've had thrush twice, and are on probiotocs with no symptoms now.  

She occasionally gets red and we'll give her a bath w/apple cider vinegar in it and do a strip on the diapers and lots of air time  and it will resolve.  For the past 2-3 weeks now we can't get rid of it.  The rash is on her cheeks w/nothing in the cracks.  The skin is rough and bumpy and peeling.  She doesn't seem excessively bothered by it, but when naked will scratch at it which we are not allowing as much as feasible.

Our wash is: cold prerinse w/vinegar, hot wash w/free detergent and an extra hot rinse or two.  Currently no ammonia smell, she is not dehydarated.  Still mostly bfing  and we are both dairy free....the rash doesn't look like food allergy rash as it is only on the skin covered by the diaper and nothing around the anus...

I really want to put something on it since it seems so dry...but I'm at a loss.  /the doctor's office is out of ideas too....help?

#2 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

I went to our natural food coop and found the Earth Mama Angel Baby ointment that was mentioned in another thread.  The ingredients all sounded pretty ok for me...we have a lot of sensitivities.  Hoping the tea tree oil helps if there is a fungal or bacterial component....

I also got some 7th Generation disposables to see.  Hoping something works!  I was looking for Tushies (gel free) diaper but no one local has it and I didn't want to wait.  

#3 of 5 Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Have you considered seeing a naturopath?   It seems like homeopathy and just a little supplementations might be the way to go so you can avoid having to worry about all the other things.....ointments, baths, etc.  Just a thought.  It's really helping with our own son's skin sensitivities.

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#4 of 5 Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 AM

You mentioned "free" detergent- what brand?  We had an awful time with Tide F&C.  DS got a bad rash from that... we switched to Allen's and he was cleared up in no time.  I have heard of other people having issues with All and Tide F&C....

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#5 of 5 Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Red, peely, bumpy rash that itches is almost always yeast.  Our ped recommends just regular old Lotrimin AF cream twice a day and it always worked for us.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page